Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

What do you think is the best projector (less than $20k) for a 10 feet screen ? I know that the best is to see myself, but this is hard to do here in Brazil...

So, any opinions ?

Thank you,

Rafael

PS. I am amazed how great is this forum, especially for us without much support in our own country. I have really learned a lot. Congratulations!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Brandon,

I will have total light control, and the room will have dark walls and furniture.

The viewing distance for the first row is 13.3 feet, for the second is 19 feet and for the third row is 24.7 feet.

The only DLP I saw was the Infocus X1 (long viewing session) and the marantz s2.

I saw rainbows in a Infocus X1, but liked a lot the marantz s2 (Didn't saw any rainbows,but I saw it in a small screen, only HD, and for a short time).

I don't know if me or my guests will see rainbows in a hd2 dlp projector in a longer viewing time. (It's really common people seeing rainbows in a hd2 dlp ?)

I have never seen a D-ILA projector working, and checked JVC here if there is any sample available for a demo in Brazil. Unfortunately, not.

Well, to resume, DLP could be a good alternative, I just don't know if the issues (rainbows, headaches) are very common to the "non-videophile".

What do you think ?

Again, thank you very much,

Rafael

·
Registered
3,209 Posts
If the first row is going to be your primary seating location, then you need a projector with high resolution as well as high fill factor. A ten foot wide screen is also going to need a projector with good brightness. The Sanyo PLV-70 has more than adequate light output, but screendoor and FPN may be a problem when viewing from the first row. Most single chip DLP projectors are going to have inadequate light output, however, the InFocus 7200 and Toshiba clone should be up to the job. The projector with the highest resolution and fill factor priced in reality is the JVC SX-21. It should also have more than enough light output.

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
Rafael, also, what aspect ratio is most of your viewing?

·
Registered
4,188 Posts
I ahve a PLV70, 120" screen and sit at 11.5', and am pretty happy. But I both acknowledge and see the LCD artifacts many people object to at that range. If these would bother you, might not be the way to go.

If I had cash and a dedicated room, I would have either a JVC SX21 or 150CL and a bigger screen. I personally cannot handle single chip DLP. Otherwise, I would seriously consider Marantz and Infocus' machines. Have no seen the InFocus, saw an S2 and it was very nice though (other than the rainbows).

BB

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Paul, most of my viewing is 16:9, on dvd. But about 30% of my viewing is 4:3 material.

Brandon and Scott, do you think a JVC SX21 with anamorphic lens would be a good solution ?

Many thanks for the support!!

·
Registered
3,209 Posts
If it were my decision, given your screen size and seating locations I would jump all over a SX-21 + anamorphic lens. The CR will not match current DLP offerings, however, in all other aspects the SX-21 + anamorphic lens is awesome.

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
The SX-21 with anamorphic lens would be one of the top choices. As would a IF 7200 (as it has the better scaler built in).

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Paul_Seng
The SX-21 with anamorphic lens would be one of the top choices. As would a IF 7200 (as it has the better scaler built in).
Two of my three fave PJ's. Along with the Dwin TV3

I bought the SX21 and added an ISCOII lens

So far we are very impressed

You won't go wrong with any of these

Something to consider for a 10 foot screen is that the DWINTV3 and Infocus delivering 921K pixels. The JVC and lens are delivering nearly 1.5 million with additional superior pixel fill. This has a dramatic effect on how detailed and film like the image looks IMHO.

We were looking at our 100" image from 4 feet last night and finding it hard to see pixel structure!

All PJ's have their pros and cons. This is a big plus on a big screen.

Rob

·
Registered
4,188 Posts
Just so you know Rob, your posts are the first ones that are making me itch for a new system. Which ain't gonna happen for at least a couple of years.

Thanks. :)

BB

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Again, thanks!!

The difference between the JVC SX21 and a DLP projector is easy to notice, even for a newbie? Or is just subtle ?

And, with the SX21 and anamorphic lens, what should be done to view 4:3 material ?

We don't have any SX21 demo available in Brazil. Do you think it's good enough to buy without seeing it ? Or it's a good idea going to USA just to evaluate it?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.