Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Since I am shooting for a 2.35:1 screen, even 10 feet wide will necessitate (in my eyes) that I sit fairly close to get the cinema feel. Maybe 1.2-1.4x screen width at the most for first row?

Which projectors would be good in the 1000-2000 street price range? (Maybe a bit over, if I can get significantly better results).

Will mainly be used for dvd viewing..

Room will be very well light controlled. (black/dark walls, no windows).

I guess my primary concern is SDE, and I have no idea how much (if any) sensitivity I have to Rainbow effect. (only ever tried lcd's..)

-Tom

·
Registered
409 Posts
I think that you are looking for too big a picture for your seating distance. The very best 720p DLPs at around $4000 + will still show SDE at a distance of only 1.2 SW. And a screen width of 10' means a 16X9 diagonal of 139". That is a huge screen that would require more than 1000 lumens to properly illuminate. What you want is at least 2 to 5 years away. And even then it will likely be more than $2000.

Keep everything the same except reduce your screen width to 8' and you will find the Sanyo Z3 or Panasonic AE700 good choices. But you will not find any DLPs that will fit your needs at this size for less than $2600.

At a screen width of 7' you might consider the Optoma H57, which would barely squeak into your budget.

If you shrink your screen to 6'wide then you can consider the Optoma H31 or Infocus 4805. but a 10' wide screen is not in the card for a sub $2000 projector

Tom

·
Premium Member
1,289 Posts
I used an AE700 for awhile on a 10' 2.35:1 screen. Sat about 14 feet back and it looked nice. However it was a little dim on a 1.0 gain screen but I think that HiPower would have been just fine, or maybe the use of an anamorphic lens.

I could see the peek-a-boo scanlines at this distance, but I could not see any screendoor due to the smoothscreen.

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Guys,

Tom, the reason for going 10 feet wide is because it is set up for 2.35:1. It is fixed height, which means when I project a 16:9 image, I would get the black pillars on the side, so it won't be as big as you think. I'm also thinking of using an anamorpic lense for this setup.

Sure, 1.2 may be on the low end, say 1.4 perhaps - hopefully the cinema feel is still sufficient :)

Pultzar, sounds like what you suggest is down the alley of what I'm planning to do - and it sounds encouraging!

I may hold off a few months, unless I see some really interesting reviews on any of the 720P projectors - may be worth waiting for next gen, like Chris suggests.

·
Registered
3,155 Posts
I dont think you need 1000 lumens for a 10 wide screen as I am currently using my 4805 in low mode (600lumen) with a 9' wide and dont feel the need to use high power mode. I am sitting a 1.44-1.55 distance but thats thanks to my HTPC helping clean up the image. SDE at my distance is not a problem except for credits and some bright skies and even then its just a minor issue easily outweighted by the huge and clean PQ. I think the AE700 will be a good choice thanks to the smooth screen technology to minimize SDE. Try and see them in action and measure a what distance you can see SDE. Still, according to most calculators I think you are sitting too close (1.2) which is not really needed for the full Cinema feel. I know been closer makes the picture more impressive but at some point you need to draw the line. I like to sit close thats why I dont like that 2x "rule" that most people use here but 1.2 will be just too close for me.

Regards

·
Registered
4,223 Posts
First find out if you are rainbow sensitive. If you and your family are not sensitive, then a bright used 720P DLP might suit your needs.

·
Premium Member
13,879 Posts
And keep in mind we don't allow street price discussions.

·
Registered
539 Posts
I also am using the 4805. My screen is 118" X 50" 1.4 gain and I sit 13' from my screen. That comes out to 1.3 times the 2.35 width. I have a second row at 19' but I prefer to sit in the first row. SDE & brightness are not a problem for me.

My setup can be seen in my photo gallery.

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
For your intended budget ( no price so madpoet will not be annoyed :D ) the sanyo Z3 is a good performer.

The Panasonic PT-AE700U would look really good at 1.5x distance but will cost you more.

The infocus 4805 is a sweet unit at under your intended budget so a projector and screen combo is in reach.

I feel the 4805 at 1.5x distance to be a little closer than the norm but others I know are making it work. Luis could probably fill you in on this a little better than me as he is the resident 4805 president on this forum. :D :D :D . DLP is an alternative if you do not suffer from any related issues with it as I do. :(

20'x14' dedicated theater

Panasonic PT-AE700U LCD projector

Draper onyx m1300 106" tension screen

Anthem avm 30 pre-pro

Rotel rb 1095 5 channel amp

Rotel rb 1080 2 channel amp

Paradigm reference speaker system

HTPC 1 to 1 pixel mapped

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for all the great responses guys! I think this is such a great forum, where a lot of people are willing to help!

I think I'll check out how we do with rainbows, to at least figure out whether dlp is feasible. On a different note, I heard someone say that the 4805 would be a problem with really close viewing distances, but again, looks like it is more of an individual preference.

Madpoet, sorry, wasn't aware of any streetprice rules, so I'll be careful.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.