AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don´t know anything about projectors...

Whats the best projector available now or coming soon(NEC HT1000.. although I´ve heard something about rainbow artifacts), I just plan on watching DVD and playing nintendo?

Anything new at Cedia?

Any projectors with fli2300 and or HD-2(whats that)?

·
Premium Member
16,963 Posts
quote: I don´t know anything about projectors...

Please spend an hour and read the forum. Its all here.

The best thing you can do for yourself is to go see a demo. See as many projectors as possible. Other people cannot make up your mind.

I could tell you I do not see rainbows and you may see them.

Do some research and go to as many retail shops as possible.

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Alan,

I´ve been reading the forums... but can´t seem to get clear answers and asking is quicker(I´ve gotten to know quite alot about plasmas, but then decided to maybe go for a projector), that is if someone feels like answering me :)

(I try and not ask questions that I know I can surf the answers for, I do know a little projector basics, just trying to avoid talk that is way to technical for me). The demo thing is my problem, I live in Iceland and we just don´t have any of the latest stuff, and there is no way to compare them side by side. So I have to buy things acording to the forums and reviews.. which is excactly why the forums are great for me and help is VERY MUCH appreciated.

·
Banned
6,051 Posts
At your price range, the NEC is the best way to go. Even at a higher price range, the NEC would still be a consideration.

Being that this is a DLP, some people are very sensitive to rainbow artifacts. They are basically a little stream of multicolor light that seems to emanate from the image, mostly in high contrast scenes. They come and go very very quickly. For some its an annoyance and for others it doesnt make a difference and for the majority, they cant see them at all. For example, scenes with subtitles or fire on a candle will produce these rainbows.

This problem has mostly been taken care of with new color wheels that the new dlps carry. Like everything else in life, some people still see them. I would advice you get a demo of a DLP somewhere just to see how you react to a DLP

Now having said that, the NEC would probably be a good choice for you

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks.

"This problem has mostly been taken care of with new color wheels that the new dlps carry." Doesn´t the ht1000 have a standard 4 speed? color wheel?

What do I gain by using an outboard scaler/deinterlacer since the HT1000 allready has DCDi?

What refresh rates does the HT1000 or any projector for that matter do, can I feed them doubles (120hz and 100 for pal)?

Can the projector completly take HD material or dose it downconvert it to fit xga specs, and does it do 2-2(for pal) and 3-2 pulldown?

Is it multi-voltage or available in europe for 220volts?

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Is the Infocus 7200 better than the HT1000?( http://www.projectorcentral.com/InFocus.htm I can´t see a model by that name here)

How high in price I can go really depends, the taxes and shipment to Iceland are very high (VAT is 24,5%!), but if the projectors aren´t that big then I can maybe get someone to just but it in their bag if they visit wherever and then I can go higher.

A projectors resolution(say xga) is not widescreen is it.. how do different aspect ratios of DVD´s work on projectors, can I change them.. if not, could I do that with an external scaler?

·
Premium Member
16,963 Posts
The NEC HT1000 has the new RGBRGB color wheel. I do not see any rainbows. Same wheel thats in all current HD2 chip projectors.

It also has the Faroudja chip with DCDI and its DVI is HDCP complient. It will also take 1080P.

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Alan, do you highly recomment the HT1000, or do you have a projector you would recomend higher(can go higher in price if the outboards scalers aren´t necissary)? Is it completly compatible with pal .. does it to 2:2 pulldown?

What would I gain from an external scaler, I´m thinking about the aSimilator or keydigital ones. Is there only way to get a digital path (SDI/DVI) to the projector to either have an outboard scaler or HTPC, becuase the projector doesn´t have SDI inputs, is there no SDI to DVI switcher.

What would be the ideal placement(how for from the screen, mounted on cealing or placed on floor??) for a projector and size of image(and screen), my room is about 5-6 meters long, 2,5m high and plenty wide. And I sit about 4 meters from where the screen would be.

thanks very much, you´re lifesavers:)

·
Registered
4,654 Posts
Read the threads linked in this thread for an alternative. Since you have some serious ambient light issues for a good part of the year, you might need a bright pj.

·
Banned
6,051 Posts
keyser

The Infocus 7200 would be a brighter projector. YOu probably wouldnt need a scaler, at least for now, since it does have the Faroujda chips built in

The issue of sdi does not deal with the projector. Basicially, you would have a dvd player with sdi out and then have a scaler or HTPC with sdi inputs. The scaler or HTPC would then be connected to the projector using analog connections. On the other hand, you could connect dvi straight into the projector or into a scaler like the aSimilator or Leeza and then ouput dvi from the scaler to the projector. As I really dont know much about HTPC, I am not sure if it does dvi and then dvi out.

Would you gain from a scaler, probably but it would be hard quantify the improvement. On the other hand, an external scaler would be both a scaler and a switcher for you

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Daniel,

Why do you say I would connect SDI from a DVD and then analog to the projector, why not SDI to scaler and DVI to projector?

Does the HT1000 only display, what was it .. 576 in widescreen mode?? Which would mean I couldn´t even display a full pal signal? What´s a Panamorph lense and what would that do for me?

When is the CES show?

·
Banned
6,051 Posts
To be honest, I dont know if you can then use the dvi output after using sdi. Hopefully someone else will answer that. Never tried it

The panamorph and isco lens II are anamorphic lenses (attached to the projector lens) that allows you to use the full 4x3 panel. Normally if you try to use the full 4x3 panel in conjunction with a 16x9 source, you would get a image that is weirdly stretch. Now, the anamorphic lens would take this weird image and stretch it correctly so that image would look perfectly fine. This way you get to take full advantage of the 4x3 panel

CES is in January around the 10th of the month

We have both the Infocus and NEC at the forum

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Daniel Hutnicki,

Could you explan this lense thing to me a bit more.. like I´m a 2 year old:) I don´t quite understand it. If you watch a widescreen DVD on the projector, don´t you just get a widescreen image, does it get streched?

With the lense 1. How will a 4:3 sourced image appear, and can it be stretched to wide(like zoom on TV´s)(can a outboard scaler change the aspect ratio)? and 2. How would the widescreen DVD´s (and GameCube games) appear... and what would it look like vice versa without the lense?

·
Banned
6,051 Posts
When you normally watch a 1.78 dvd on a 4x3 projector, you are only using a portion of the panel. That has always been the critisim of the 4x3 and why people love the 16x9 panel. When you watchh 1.78 on a 16x9 native you use every pixel available

Now with the lens, we tell the projector that it will be showing a 4x3 image and we send it a 16x9 signal from the dvd player. What you will produce a an image that uses all of the 4x3 pixels, but because it uses all of the pixels, the image will look distorted. In order to undistort the image, you use the anamorphic lens which stretches the image so that it looks right. This means that you get a 16x9 image using the complete 4x3 panel. Now the question is what happens when you use a 4x3 source. Well, you have two choices, one is two remove the lens, which can be a pain or you can have a scaler that will in turn distort the 4x3 image so that the lens will stretch it back to a 4x3 image

In either scenario with or without the lens, the image on the screen will be the same size. If you image is 1.78 then, the screen will be filled either way. If you are showing 2.35, you will have bars with or without the lens.

The difference is that a 1.78 image will use all of the pixels that the 4x3 panel has to offer. The 2.35 source wont use all of the panel but it will be an improvement over not using the lens

If everthing is set up right, the picture image will be the same no matter the source, Gamecube, widescreen dvds, its how much of the panel are you using. By using the full panel on a 16x9 source, it should look better than when you use the 16x9 option and loose the abilit to use the full panel.

There is an panamorph lens that deals with only 2.35 images. I have never seen one inoperation, but it follows the same logic. The 2.35 would use the full panel.

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Daniel,

Thanks you for the great answer. Why are projectors native 4:3 since most stuff is 16:9 now, wouldn´t it be ideal to have wxga resolution?

When you use this lense do you fully display the resolution of the material.. like a pal source, or does it downconvert it somewhat because of the native xga resolution?

Is the projector fully pal comptible, does it do 3:2 and 2:2 pulldown and take pal progressive?

What refresh rates can I feed something like the HT1000, whats ones does it display?

·
Registered
3,209 Posts
keyser,

If you add the price of an anamorphic lens to the HT1000 you are getting into InFocus 7200/Toshiba MT8 territory. I didn't check out the HT1000 at the recent CEDIA Expo because it has a 4:3 panel, however, I have a hard time imagining that it would be able to keep up with the InFocus/Toshiba twins which I did see.

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Daniel Hutnicki
keyser

The Infocus 7200 would be a brighter projector. YOu probably wouldnt need a scaler, at least for now, since it does have the Faroujda chips built in

Can you go into more detail on this? How does the Faroujda chip compare to a dedicated scaler? Do they do the same thing, just the dedicated scaler does it better?

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I sit about 3,5 to 4 meters from where the screen would be, what is the recomended screen size from that viewing distance(about 70" would fit the eye nicely).. isn´t there some formula like the with of the screen times two or something:)

Innova,

I don´t know about the scaling, but you certainly don´t get any better deinterlacing than the faroudja DCDi.

·
Registered
4,735 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Scott B
keyser,

If you add the price of an anamorphic lens to the HT1000 you are getting into InFocus 7200/Toshiba MT8 territory.
Unless you are talking about the 2.35:1 lenses, I don't think it puts it all that close. I got my 16x9 version used, but I think it is easy to find new ones for under $1k if you shop around or wait for a PowerBuy. For 2.35:1 material with that anamorphic lens on the HT1000, it is probably close to the same brightness as the 7200 with the same material and no extra lens. Then it is a matter of the other tradeoffs. Also, I'm not sure how well an 2.35:1 anamorphic lens would work on the short throw of the HT1000.

--Darin

·
Banned
6,051 Posts
Quote:
Thanks you for the great answer. Why are projectors native 4:3 since most stuff is 16:9 now, wouldn´t it be ideal to have wxga resolution?

I dont think this projector was intended orginally for home theater use but rather for business purposes. I dont know at what point it involved into HT. My guess and its only a guess is that the low price is a result of it being a 4x3, . If you take this projector plus an anamorphic lens, you have a 16x9 projection

My other guess would be that NEC will come out with a 16x9 projector, but I bet you that the price will dramatically increase.

On the question of taking advantage of the full resolution when using a anamorphic lens, the answer is yes and no. If you are watching a 1.77 movies, then yes. If you watch a 1.85 then you lose a tiny bit and on a 2.35 you do loose. But if you buy a 16x9 native projecgtor, you would lose resolution if you are watching a 2.35 movie

On the issue of pal and refresh rates, I must admit ignorance. I would do a little more research maybe contacting NEC themselves

1 - 20 of 46 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.