AVS Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The wife has finally relented and allowed me to go for a projector but I have am still deciding what to get.

I have a pretty light tight rec. room but ceiling height is an issue at 7'.

Other than a low ceiling I have placement flexibility and plan on a Manual pulldown 106" screen or perhaps a 92" so I am going to be 10' back at minimum in a 22x12 room.

Given I am in Canada and my pricepoint I have it down to either the epson 8100 or Mitsubishi hc3800. Perhaps a pt-ax200 but I would rather 1080p. If only the ae4000 was cheaper in Canada compared to US!

I will feed the projector via HTPC and main use will be movies. The wife does like some ambient light rather than total darkness. Myself I am good in the dark. We are both classic cinema buffs so we will be using alot of 480p B&W material until it migrates to HD with more modern HD material less often. We have a large number of Criterion DVDs. In general what technology is better for B&W? In my research I didn't see any mention of what is good for B&W. My guess is a good black level would be important and good contrast for shadow detail but I don't know.

Given our current place is a rental the LCD placement flexibility appeals to me because who knows what our next house brings? Add in that I am unsure if myself or the wife suffers from the rbe and LCD is another plus. Unfortunately no stores nearby that have pjs setup to check. Mind you we are here for at least a year so we would get good use out of it either way.

Thanks in advanced for any and all help for a self admitted newbie.

·
Registered
573 Posts
I would caution some Projectors (and from my own experience owning a Panasonic) that on black and white material you may see some color issues.

What I mean is on my Panasonic LCD 720p model the top left of screen would have a slight blue tint and bottom right a slight red tint that on BW material was IMO really annoying. I had the PTAX200Uand I am pretty sure that flaw is across the board, some may not see it but I have read in several reviews of this issue and it bugs me alot............you may not notice or be sensitive to it but just know my caution.

Now with the 4000 from Panasonic it may no longer be an issue and may or may not be a symptom many other LCD models suffer from so ask around and research any model.

I did not get that tinting on my Mitsubishi 6500 1080p model or on my Sony VPL100 "Ruby".

If you were not such a BW buff I would not have mentioned this at all but its something you are really going to have to pay attention to with your viewing preferances.

The Epson or Mitsubishi are great ideas, Epson has amazing customer support. You wont be disapointed wit either just pay attention to throw distance, a calculator is provided at projectorcentral.com, just nter model number.

One thing I will say is 92in is going to be your best bet in that room due to ceiling clearance, I have same issue so I speak from experience. A larger screen will work but its going to be too low to floor to make sense so a 92in model will give you a better line of sight and allow placement of a center speaker under screen.........you can go bigger if you want but you may regret the super low to floor distance in time. A 92in screen from 10ft is going to be super...I simply would not go bigger if I were you.

A GREAT screen I just got at 92in is the Focopix motorizied tab tensioned screen (manual and pull down screens of any sort can get waves in them over time and the tension feature will help combat this). The Focopix is only around $400 shipped and has a remote RF control.........it looks fatastic and is third screen I have owned.

In close ask about the color imbalance from those with the model you looked at because again being a BW movie buff thats a huge issue for you in my opinion. If I can be any help let me know, private message me if you wish.

Cheers

1 - 2 of 2 Posts