Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Help....

Will be purchasing a front projector & screen soon. Would like some feedback from owners of the NEC1000. (Great Price/Value it seems)

I am also interested in any HD-2 Mustang units that are in the same

catigory (3 to 4K) and super specs. If you are an owner of a front projector (DLP) that has great blacks, great color, good connectivity, bells and whistles, high contrast, Must be HD capable, I would love to here your feedback. Also what size screen are you using? My room will be 18'X15' and 8 ft high. (Any suggestions on screen size?) Timing is critical as the rebate on the NEC is over on Sep 30)

Thanks

Gary

·
Registered
9,769 Posts
used JVC G1000 or G10

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Tryg, you are the man.....enjoyed your post...Love the silver screen but wonder if the high lumen count on DLPs would be too much. My viewing distance from the screen will be from 12' to 17.5" (row 2).

Also, do you recommend certain theater seating for comfort and economy?

Thanks again...I will check out the net for JVC.

P.S. What is your take on tactile transducers? Do you have it in your

theater and is it a future purchase if you do not.

Gary;)

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by JimmyR
Wait !!

I can do that....but wait for what????

Got a recommendation....

Thanks for you response

Gary

·
Registered
9,769 Posts
High lumen count for DLP? DLP seams to present themselves about 20-30% dimmer then their comparably rated LCD and LCOS competitors.

Gary, I would highly recommend you hang out here for a while and learn more about LCOS (D-ILA) and then go see one with your own eyes. I just went and saw the brand new Runco 10000ci(?) and I wouldn't trade it for my $2000 JVC G1000

Combinng artifacts, rainbows....over all a big disapointment for a high class operation in my area to demonstrate such lameness.

Start here
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...ghlight=repost

then ask Robert Holloway on this forum what he thinks...

·
Premium Member
4,708 Posts

Probably sooner than later and before the end of the year some big product and technology announcements will appear that didn't make CEDIA . I would hold off just a little longer, I'm sure you won't be disappointed if you wait.

·
Registered
986 Posts
jimmy is somewhat correct. i have seen some of the to be announced at a later date technology, but at what price range i dont know.

For me it comes down to this. My theater is ready, speakers processors seating all in place, i need a pj. So i either buy cheap now and buy again in two years or i buy midrange and buy again in 5 years. I spent 5grand on speakers and receiver, currently using existing seating so that leaves me with 5grand burning in my hand, so i need to decide which way to go.

It is like a battle between good and evil, last week i almost bought a new Sony hs10 for chump change, this week i am pricing Benq 8700. I am leaning toward the Benq, the problem i have with the new technology is that I dont see the companies involved not selling it at a high margin, they need to recoup research cost, so i believe it will be in the 10g plus category for a couple of years.

·
Premium Member
4,708 Posts
George no disrespect but what you've "seen" is not close to what I'm referring to.

Sorry I can't be more specific.

·
Registered
986 Posts
jimmy, it is hard to say if we have seen the same thing or not. Unfortunately I signed a NDA at a hotel in Indy just to see what i saw, or i would say more.

I still believe that what i saw is going to be priced high, what i saw competes head to head with the big 3 chip dlp units. What i saw had no screen door even with my nose to the screen, and the snacks in this suite were delicious, some how they have to pay for the snacks.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by JimmyR

Probably sooner than later and before the end of the year some big product and technology announcements will appear that didn't make CEDIA . I would hold off just a little longer, I'm sure you won't be disappointed if you wait.
Thanks.....I own a 65" Toshiba Rear Projection HDTV now, so I guess I can wait a few months....I've heard the same hipe you have about new arrivals.

The problem with new arrivals is there will always be new arrivals. When do you draw a line in the sand and say thats it. I just want to make a good choice in a projector (doesn't have the be the best..) but should be the best for the available money. My theater won't be done till just before christmas as a best guess and the projector & screen could wait. Thanks for your input

Gary

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by George_Stenbeck
jimmy is somewhat correct. i have seen some of the to be announced at a later date technology, but at what price range i dont know.

For me it comes down to this. My theater is ready, speakers processors seating all in place, i need a pj. So i either buy cheap now and buy again in two years or i buy midrange and buy again in 5 years. I spent 5grand on speakers and receiver, currently using existing seating so that leaves me with 5grand burning in my hand, so i need to decide which way to go.

It is like a battle between good and evil, last week i almost bought a new Sony hs10 for chump change, this week i am pricing Benq 8700. I am leaning toward the Benq, the problem i have with the new technology is that I dont see the companies involved not selling it at a high margin, they need to recoup research cost, so i believe it will be in the 10g plus category for a couple of years.
Thanks George....I value your input

·
Registered
986 Posts
if your theater is not done then please wait. at the very least new arrivals will drive down the price of the competition.

i know it will be a tumble down effect, ti will reduce its prices based on competition, so will projector manufacturers. my understanding is that the technology in question will not be offered to many projectors manufacturers, not any in the first year of production.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Stop taunting me you evil people.

I feel like a kid a week before Christmas having to stare at wrapped presents wondering about the possibilities.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Tryg
High lumen count for DLP? DLP seams to present themselves about 20-30% dimmer then their comparably rated LCD and LCOS competitors.

Gary, I would highly recommend you hang out here for a while and learn more about LCOS (D-ILA) and then go see one with your own eyes. I just went and saw the brand new Runco 10000ci(?) and I wouldn't trade it for my $2000 JVC G1000

Combinng artifacts, rainbows....over all a big disapointment for a high class operation in my area to demonstrate such lameness.

Start here
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...ghlight=repost

then ask Robert Holloway on this forum what he thinks...
Thanks again....I am familiar with LCOS as a technology...but have never seen it in person and thought it was out of my financial range. DLP seemed to be a good alternative and the price of the NEC1000 was pretty good ($3000) with a rebate. (new)

When taking into consideration that I need to finish building the room, buy a projector, screen, seating, a better receiver, a scaler, two additional surround speakers, etc..etc...etc. the decisions get harder and harder.

We all have to make concessions at times, the question is where will I get the most bang for the buck. Your JVC projector sounds like something I will have to look into quickly. The net offers some good pricing in the 1800 to 3000 range. Thank you again for your intelligent approach to "The Perfect Vision" no pun intended. by the way how do I find Robert Holloway???

Gary..

·
Registered
753 Posts
I would go with a refurbed sharp 10K or the benq 8700 ( 3 year warranty )

Only if not rainbow sensitive though. The upcoming optama 76 also has potential but is yet untested. These will give good value and warranty.

Robert Holloway can be found by doing a search. He posted in the great projector search Vol 1-6 amongst others

keep us posted

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Gary

Hi there!!!!

I'm just another member with a PJ with an enthusiasm for the subject

If $3k is your budget you will be limited to a used LCOS

I was shocked at what AVS was offering the SX21 for

I'd budgeted $1500 more :)

If you've never seen an Sx21, or a member of it's family, this is what you'll probably notice

very accurate color

very stable image

incredible detail (1.5x resolution versus DLP HD2)

relatively weak CR

very 'filmlike' presentation

I can't say it's better

I can say that every person who's seen it at my house in the last few days has been literally agog and left yabbering about how they had no idea this was possible :)

Tryg's comments are spot on as always.

if you lived in the Bay Area I'd say come on over.

Don't get me wrong

there are great DLP PJ's

My faves are the NEC HT1000, Infocus 5700 & 7200 and DwinTV3

All the best

Rob

·
Premium Member
5,226 Posts
hmmm... what did george see?

maybe it was the one day only infocus 3-chip dlp. marantz proudly displayed their unit, digital projections "mercury" was also a big hit. yet i wonder what did george see?

yet another reference (Mr. Holloway0 to DWIN. they must be OK too.

tell me more about this budget JVC! how does it behave in a less that perfect light controlled room?

Regards,

Mike

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Robert Holloway
Gary

Hi there!!!!

I'm just another member with a PJ with an enthusiasm for the subject

If $3k is your budget you will be limited to a used LCOS

I was shocked at what AVS was offering the SX21 for

I'd budgeted $1500 more :)

If you've never seen an Sx21, or a member of it's family, this is what you'll probably notice

very accurate color

very stable image

incredible detail (1.5x resolution versus DLP HD2)

relatively weak CR

very 'filmlike' presentation

I can't say it's better

I can say that every person who's seen it at my house in the last few days has been literally agog and left yabbering about how they had no idea this was possible :)

Tryg's comments are spot on as always.

if you lived in the Bay Area I'd say come on over.

Don't get me wrong

there are great DLP PJ's

My faves are the NEC HT1000, Infocus 5700 & 7200 and DwinTV3

All the best

Rob
............................................................ ........................................................

Thanks for your input.....Still a little nervous about investing in a proj. that is used....I live in St Louis, Mo...not much of a chance that I"ll swing by your place for a demo...Ha....but I will check out the technology...

The NEC HT1000 is on my short list because it is priced very well.. (Can be bought for around $3500 (new) on the net)....This is not to say that LCOS is not a better alternative but 10K+ is alot of bucks on a beer budget..

All of you videofiles have made me nervous about my purchase....I will probably wait awhile and research (see with my eyes) what projectors are avail in the St Louis Area. DLPs seem to be the rage in the midwest...

If money was no object LCOS would be the best solution next to film.

Gary

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by John Tuohy
I would go with a refurbed sharp 10K or the benq 8700 ( 3 year warranty )

Only if not rainbow sensitive though. The upcoming optama 76 also has potential but is yet untested. These will give good value and warranty.

Robert Holloway can be found by doing a search. He posted in the great projector search Vol 1-6 amongst others

keep us posted
Thanks for your input....The new Sharp HD-2 10000 is on sale for 7990 at all the ultimate electronics stores...They have reduced last years 9000 to only 4995....Those are both pretty good values...I'm still hooked on the NEC HD1000 for the money....Thanks

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.