AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
17,711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Until now I was recommending to our plants the Epson 7250 as a good projector for VC. But I was told that Epson has discontinued the model, so it is a good time to see what is out there.

Here is what the projector must have

1) three inputs (VGA, S-video and composite)

2) lots of lumens (you need the lights open for the VC camera) nothing less then 1000 will do

3) min true resolution of 1024x768, but that can handle a bit more, so that when laptops go to the next level I will not need to replace them all.

4) good colour

5) sharp video image

6) direct inputs (discrete codes are preferred)

7) reasonable cost

Thanks

Anthony

· Registered
168 Posts
On video inputs- one thing to keep in mind and remember to specifically ask about is ability to use more than one at a given time.

For example, my Sanyo has component, S video and composite inputs, but as I understand it, it can only use one "video" input - so you have to choose S or component or composite (which effectively means it has one user selectable video input and not two).

Please post your budget that will help.

Don;t count on getting better than XGA resolution (1024X768) unless you intend to pay a small fortune or hunt for something used.

dg

· Registered
17,711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Dan: I know it too well, I guess I should have stressed the point that all three should be usable at the same time. (actually I find this limits the projectors more then any other factor http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/frown.gif )

Correction

1) three inputs connected at the same time and that can be accessed by remote (VGA, S-video and composite)

3) native resolution XGA, max resolution higher.

7) reasonable = 7 - 10k can$

8) ceiling mountable (I forgot this one)

9) low noise

[This message has been edited by AnthonyP (edited 04-25-2001).]

· Registered
168 Posts
Well, one thing I would suggest is that you consider that you could buy many projectors (those limited with only 1 video capable input at a time), and pair them with an external scaler like the Quadscan ($1k US from AVS).

The Quadscan gives you a better picture than most projectors could muster on their own, as well as the ability to switch mutiple video sources (6 total, 2 each of component s Vid and composite). It also has a single VGA pass through.

For installations it works nice because you can ceiling mount or whatever your projector, have only 1 VGA cable running to it from the Quadscan, and locate the Quadscan in a more convenient place for jacking mutiple things into it.

I guess it all depends on how much you want to spend...

I would personally recommend my own projector, but I just love that bugger- so take it with a grain.

Sanyo XP21n-

lumens lumens lumens... I think thats critical.

The 21 puts out 2500 (per manuf.), which means I can see good images with tons of room light.

I would assume this would be valueable in your situation.

The Sanyo XP18 puts out a bit less light (2000 lum), but is $1k cheaper - the differntial pays for a scaler.

I am thinkning about things from a HT perspective, so perhaps a scaler is too much for a normal office conference room application... but for $1k it makes such a dramatic improvement

dg

· Registered
17,711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The quadscan looks nice, but the price is too much for the wallet. We do have some single video input projectors, but that means added equipment (AV Selector), but I want a good stream lined system that is easy to setup and easy to use.

· Registered
4,525 Posts
Hi Anthony,

Items 2, 4, 5 and 6 seem to be missing from your numbered list.

· Registered
17,711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I decided to put the whole list together, to make it easier

1) three inputs connected at the same time and that can be accessed by remote (VGA, S-video and composite)

2) lots of lumens (you need the lights open for the VC camera) nothing less then 1000 will do

3) native resolution XGA, Compressed SXGA or UXGA

4) good colour

5) sharp video image

6) direct input selection (discrete codes are preferred)

7) reasonable cost = 7 - 10k can$ -> <7K US$ street price

8) ceiling mountable

9) low noise

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.