Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey,

Im thinking of doin a budget sorta rear projection setup. What would be the best projector to suit a rear projection setup? CRT? LCD? DLP? What sorta brightness and contrast do I need to get a pure image? Any other inputs are welcome.

Thankyou.

x3.

·
Premium Member
25,004 Posts
If it's"budget", then taht means no mirror to reduce the room needed to pj; are you aware of the space and light control requirements for RP?

As for screens, flexible vinyl screens are quite inexpensive.

There's quite a few past threads on the subject; try a search.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have looked at past threads. I will be using a mirror setup to kill some space. Im just wondering whats the best type of projector to use with a rear setup?

·
Registered
130 Posts
Xaeon, I have a cheap temporary RP setup which consists of a fairly bright LCD projector, a free-standing frame, and about 3 metres of a fabric.

The projector is a Toshiba TLP770 which borrowed from work. I grabbed that particular one because it has component inputs, and is XGA (enough res. for PAL 16:9). I think it is rated at 1400 ANSI lumens. The bad thing about it is the noise, which is why I tried setting it up in another room, projecting through the screen.

I started out with just a bedsheet, but it let too much light through. Looking at the screen, you could see where the PJ lens was (it was the brightest spot on the screen). So, I needed something more opaque. I went to a material store and found some thin woven polyester that was tall enough (1.5m), and that I could not see much light through the weave of. As a side-effect it also had a shiny side and a dull side (it was called Princess Satin). I bought 3 or 4 metres.

I initially tried projecting onto the shiny side, and looking at the dull side. The weave had a nice softening effect on the image, but it lost too much light for daytime use.

For daytime use, I have to project onto the front. The shiny side makes the image a little brighter, but every crease or fold is very obvious, so I built a free-standing frame, and sewed some velcro onto it.

Now, if only my borrowed projector was compatible with my HDTV box :-(

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
These are the projectors I am thinking of.

DLP - Infocus X1

LCD - Sanyo Z1

CRT - Sony VPH-1272QM

I am thinking of going CRT as the higher res, and better picture quality as the size does not matter as I will not be seeing it.

nigelpearson - I have pm'ed you afew questions! thankyou for your post also.

·
Registered
778 Posts
I would think you would have to start with throw distance to narrow your choice of projectors (ignore me if you have already done this.)

·
Registered
595 Posts
in terms of higher res, the sweet spot for the 1272 is around 720P, these units dont resolve 1080i sharply at all, rather soft.

personally for ease of setup, brightness and noise I would pick the sanyo out of those options. The sony crt how ever with lots of effort, time and patience will deliver the best image. Did I mention effort time and patience?

Then again, what size screen do you want? and why rear? any reasons?

if your only looking for a 50 inch screen you could just buy a RPTV allready for the same sort of price.

·
Premium Member
25,004 Posts
Nigel,

You don't have to mess around with bedsheets, unless you're really broke. Gerriets has flexible RP material for US$16/linear yard, 54" wide.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Quote:
You don't have to mess around with bedsheets, unless you're really broke. Gerriets has flexible RP material for US$16/linear yard, 54" wide.
Yes, and Harkness Hall and Dazian have some also. They all seem to be just semi-opaque textured plastic, and by the time I got them out here to Australia the cost would be prohibitive for something that I had not actually seen.

My polyester fabric was $14/metre (about US $9/yard) for about the same width.

·
Registered
130 Posts
In case anyone is curious, I will try to attach a picture (sadly, during the day) of my screen.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.