AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am planning to buy a new projector this week to replace an Optoma HD20 that has seen better days (lightning repairs, bad bulbs)

I loved the Optoma HD20 while I had it, and also for a short time had an Optoma HD3300 (the black 2000 lumen version of the HD33) and I need help making a decision.

My theater room is setup a specific way so the projector has to be able to be set up at the same height and distance away from the screen as the HD20 and HD3300 were. It could go back up to foot if needed, but, getting closer to the screen is not an option.

I want to keep it under $1000.... and prefer to keep it under $800 if at all possible. Amazon lists the following, all of which I am considering just getting different opinions on throw distance and DLP rainbow and all that.... BUT, for me... the HD20 was DLP and I loved it so I guess the "rainbow" (whatever that is) is not obvious to me. I would like at least 2000 lumens because the extra brightness made quite a bit of difference for the short time I had the HD3300. I do want 3D just to have it.

Benq W1070 $655.00 on amazon..... number one choice as of right now.
Benq W1075 $795.16 on amazon.... 2200 lumens.... what other than that makes this better than the W1070?
Benq HT1085ST $958.32 on amazon.... Is it worth the extra over the W1070?
Epson 2030 $799.00 on amazon.... this one is out because its not 3D but what else does epson have?
Optoma HD25-LV - $849.99.... incredible 3500 lumnes - I have loved my optoma preojectors before.... any reason this one is not a contender?
Epson 3020 - visualplex has them for 1399.... a little more pricey, but, if it is truly that much better I might swing for it

·
Registered
8 Posts
I am planning to buy a new projector this week to replace an Optoma HD20 that has seen better days (lightning repairs, bad bulbs)

I loved the Optoma HD20 while I had it, and also for a short time had an Optoma HD3300 (the black 2000 lumen version of the HD33) and I need help making a decision.

My theater room is setup a specific way so the projector has to be able to be set up at the same height and distance away from the screen as the HD20 and HD3300 were. It could go back up to foot if needed, but, getting closer to the screen is not an option.

I want to keep it under $1000.... and prefer to keep it under $800 if at all possible. Amazon lists the following, all of which I am considering just getting different opinions on throw distance and DLP rainbow and all that.... BUT, for me... the HD20 was DLP and I loved it so I guess the "rainbow" (whatever that is) is not obvious to me. I would like at least 2000 lumens because the extra brightness made quite a bit of difference for the short time I had the HD3300. I do want 3D just to have it.

Benq W1070 $655.00 on amazon..... number one choice as of right now.
Benq W1075 $795.16 on amazon.... 2200 lumens.... what other than that makes this better than the W1070?
Benq HT1085ST $958.32 on amazon.... Is it worth the extra over the W1070?
Epson 2030 $799.00 on amazon.... this one is out because its not 3D but what else does epson have?
Optoma HD25-LV - $849.99.... incredible 3500 lumnes - I have loved my optoma preojectors before.... any reason this one is not a contender?
Epson 3020 - visualplex has them for 1399.... a little more pricey, but, if it is truly that much better I might swing for it
I would buy 25 lv.. insane brightness. A shame i don't have enough throw dustance, then choosed gt1080

·
Registered
5,702 Posts
The BenQ 1070 would be your best choice but it has a shorter throw than the HD20 and you said you couldn't move it any closer. If its in your throw range then go for it. All the entry level new optoma's don't have an RGBRGB color wheel so their calibrated color lumens are far below advertised but most reviews are good and their throw range is close to the HD20. Optoma hd36 and hd50/161 have RGBRGB wheels take a look at those. Epson 2030 does 3D but contrast is far below the DLP's. The epson 3500's are very bright with comparable contrast and a good recommendation for a bad room. If you get to the $1500 range the panasonic AE8000 is a great choice for the next level up in blacks/contrast with great placement flexibility. The epson 3020's are way overpriced for their age and I wouldn't consider them.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
how do i calculate how far back the projector needs to be? I didn't even consider that when I set my room up and bought the HD20 and HD3300... it just kind of worked out in my favor I guess

My projector is ceiling mounted and can be mounted anywhere between 17 and 19 feet away from the screen. The screen is and is about 117 inches wide by 64 inches tall

I am looking into the Optoma HD161X.... it boasts a 40,000:1 contrast ratio.... that sounds too good to be true for $1200. Also it is talking about it's PureMotion technology. Is that something that is a feature that can be turned on and off? My fear is if it is messing with the video I might not get a true look from blue-ray.... or is that a plus I would want on all the time?

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok.... I just ordered the Epson 3500

I will post updates with how I like it.

·
Registered
946 Posts
The 3500 will most likely be updated at Cedia. Should have waited for the successor or the discounts.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts