AVS Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Best projector for a 135 inch Silver Ticket screen

I tried the BenQ TK850 and it failed. I was thinking about the Epson 5050ub

This is my dedicated theater room which I use for Bluray & 4k Movies only.

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
16 Posts
If the BenQ TK850 failed, I suspect BenQ W2700 and W5700 will also fail.I think your thinking is correct: Epson 5050UB is probably your best bet (unless you go used, in which case I'd look at JVC and possibly Sony offerings).

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If the BenQ TK850 failed, I suspect BenQ W2700 and W5700 will also fail.I think your thinking is correct: Epson 5050UB is probably your best bet (unless you go used, in which case I'd look at JVC and possibly Sony offerings).
Thank you.

·
Registered
2,734 Posts

Thanks in advance
In what way did it fail?

·
Registered
3,901 Posts

Thanks in advance
To give you any kind of answer we need to know a lot more about the room. If it is truly a dedicated room with full light control and properly treated for reflections the TK850 was a bad choice. In a fully treated room contrast is king and nothing beats a JVC but in the $3k range for new product the Epson 5050ub is a very decent projector. Call some JVC dealers and you might find a JVC left over old stock/B stock well in your price range but you do need to use the telephone and not just surf the net.

·
Registered
3,950 Posts

Thanks in advance
What is the seating position?

Color of walls?

Room dimensions?

What do you mean it failed?

·
Registered
6,837 Posts
Worth saying that the JVC RS540 is out there, new, for a few hundred more than the 5050UB, and might be the best image, lens, and projector quality you can get for the money.

·
Registered
36 Posts

Thanks in advance
I got a 5050ub for my room. I have 135 inch screen. The screen is a painted screen and Felt around edges. Floor is dark blue, walls a slate grey and celling is white ceiling tiles. Reflections from ceiling and walls can sometimes impact image. I sit about 11 feet from screen and am very pleased with the image . I need a good source to make the most of the image. When I have a good source the image is better than the local cinema by far.

·
Registered
4,375 Posts
Definitely more info needed on why the TK850 was deficient... but it also doesn't surprise me as I have similar feelings going from an Epson 3000 to a TK800. While the resolution of 4K DLP is great, I don't think it's worth the compromise in contrast and would prefer to have my 3000 back (it's now kicking ass in my brother's budget theater build along with a lot of my other hand-me-downs). I know you mentioned it's a dedicated theater room, but how much viewing do you do with some/any ambient light. If it's any substantial amount, say more than 30-40%, you might want to consider the Epson 3800 over the 5050UB for added lumens and still very good contrast. You also don't mention 2.35:1 screen, so I'll assume you don't need the power/memory zoom/shift.

I'll eventually replace my TK800 with a 3800 (or 3200 if a deal comes up first) when refurbs are available. If you're not doing as much lights-on viewing, a refurb 5040UB would seem like a logical choice at just over 1/3 of your budget... the only thing really lacking compared to the 5050UB is 18gbps HDMI port, but 4k 24hz HDR (the bulk of material available, both streaming and UHD disc) is supported by the 10gbps and it makes picking a long HDMI cable a lot easier too. I probably would have picked up a refurb 5040UB by now if it weren't physically too big for my pitched ceiling mounting, especially since I'd really like to move to a 2.35:1 screen.

·
Registered
226 Posts

Thanks in advance
I’m using a 5040 with a 138” elite cinegrey scope screen. Getting about 11 ftl calibrated in natural. Image is absolutely stunning.

·
Registered
3,950 Posts
Definitely more info needed on why the TK850 was deficient... but it also doesn't surprise me as I have similar feelings going from an Epson 3000 to a TK800. While the resolution of 4K DLP is great, I don't think it's worth the compromise in contrast and would prefer to have my 3000 back (it's now kicking ass in my brother's budget theater build along with a lot of my other hand-me-downs). I know you mentioned it's a dedicated theater room, but how much viewing do you do with some/any ambient light. If it's any substantial amount, say more than 30-40%, you might want to consider the Epson 3800 over the 5050UB for added lumens and still very good contrast. You also don't mention 2.35:1 screen, so I'll assume you don't need the power/memory zoom/shift.

I'll eventually replace my TK800 with a 3800 (or 3200 if a deal comes up first) when refurbs are available. If you're not doing as much lights-on viewing, a refurb 5040UB would seem like a logical choice at just over 1/3 of your budget... the only thing really lacking compared to the 5050UB is 18gbps HDMI port, but 4k 24hz HDR (the bulk of material available, both streaming and UHD disc) is supported by the 10gbps and it makes picking a long HDMI cable a lot easier too. I probably would have picked up a refurb 5040UB by now if it weren't physically too big for my pitched ceiling mounting, especially since I'd really like to move to a 2.35:1 screen.
Keep in mind that Netlfix/Vudu require 60Hz regardless what fps the material is in. The 10GB limitation can cause problems elsewhere.

I don't know if you saw the HC3200 tests, it got 471:1 native contrast. That is probably worse then the TK800:
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/68-digital-projectors-under-3-000-usd-msrp/3090344-epson-hc-3200-3800-revealed-16.html#post59021304

The HC3200 does have an iris, but that is very low.

·
Registered
4,375 Posts
I don't know if you saw the HC3200 tests, it got 471:1 native contrast. That is probably worse then the TK800:
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/68-digital-projectors-under-3-000-usd-msrp/3090344-epson-hc-3200-3800-revealed-16.html#post59021304

The HC3200 does have an iris, but that is very low.
I assumed, maybe lazily, that the 3200's contrast would be at least as good as my 3000 was... if so, it's still notably better real-world than the TK800. If not, I'll just focus on waiting for a 3800 refurb/deal to come along.

·
Registered
3,950 Posts
I assumed, maybe lazily, that the 3200's contrast would be at least as good as my 3000 was... if so, it's still notably better real-world than the TK800. If not, I'll just focus on waiting for a 3800 refurb/deal to come along.
It will have contrast lower then the TK800 in real word use.
Can't take Epson's contrast figures literally, but you can compare what Epson says about contrast between the two. The HC3000 is listed as 60 000 and HC3200 as 40 000. So it's got at least 30% less contrast, but according to that measurement probably even less.

·
Registered
4,375 Posts
Guess I'll hold out for the 3800.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Received my Epson 5050ub today and boy am I pleased. Day and Night difference. I compared the same 3 movies which I tried on BenQ

Dark Knight Rises, Pacific Rim & Terminator Dark Fate

The difference between the 2 projectors literally blew me away. I am so glad I spent the extra money it was well worth it.

Thanks for all the help.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts