Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,

This is my first post, so if this has been asked before (recently) please bear with me and point me to the related thread.

I'm planning to buy a TV Tuner card + PVS software to add PVR functionality to my HTPC. Since HDTV is not really an issue (right now, but may be in the future) I'm only looking at standard TV. The most important issues for me are:

- Piture quality (using a front projector on a 100" screen)

- Software/Hardware(Driver) stability

- Ease of use (I like TiVo's SeasonPass)

I saw a post that compared differnt PVR software on this board, but it didn't mention SageTV. http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...60#post1610460

How does SageTV compare to SnapStream?

Since picture quality is most important to me, I'd like to know which HW/SW combination is the best. Hardware en/decoding or not? My PC is a 2.2 GHz P4 with a Revo 7.1 sound card, so it should be beefy enough for SW en/decoding. HD space is also not an issue (I've got 300 GB available).

I do have an ATI Radeon 9700 pro (not AIW), so I don't necessarily need the TV tuner card for display.

I'm currently subscribed to cable, but am using my SetTop box for my TiVo on my 2nd TV. I guess I won't be able to receive my digital channels through the Tuner Card and would need a 2nd SetTop box. Is that correct?

All comments are appreciated!

·
Registered
464 Posts
my fav is still showshifter

:)

there is now a EPG that is easily readable.. .. and, it has support for Dscaler's DLL's.. which really helps on the clarity.. on my 61 inch TV, it looks wonderful

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
Enough for SW encoding I would count on it.

The biggest headack are 2 field in 480 which can be a pain and if you try to do anything else while it's recording you may get dropped frames in your video that you count on.

As for SageTV compare to SnapStream only one diff SnapStream has nice UI that all.

SageTV made for Hardware Encoder where SnapStream was made for Software encoder.

Picture quality will be as good as your source is and bitrate you use.

·
Premium Member
1,303 Posts
I'm using a hauppauge pvr-350 card with SageTV on my 51" RPTV connected to my Dish receiver. Results are just about identical to my eyes between the original source and the video output from SageTV. The beauty of hardware encoding is that on my 1ghz celeron, with SageTV recording away, I'm at less than 5% CPU usage.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.