Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I have an older Miro PCTV card and wanted to put it into my HTPC

Im wanting to use it to record / pause tv like a tivo would.

What is the best software that will do this??

I have tried Intervideo WinDVR but that has not worked well.

Is there a piece of software that does this thats shareware / freeware?

What software works best??

Opinions? :)

·
Registered
317 Posts
Cyberlink PowerVCR! I couldn't get WinDVR to work either, but this one works great! And with an update download from their site it even works with TitanTV.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by shadymg
Cyberlink PowerVCR! I couldn't get WinDVR to work either, but this one works great! And with an update download from their site it even works with TitanTV.
Hi ShadyMG,

May I know your configuration and setup? PowerVCR simply DOESN'T work on my setup and I thought I have used one of the most common TV tuner: Hauppauge WinTV w/ Radio...

First of all, I have tried MPEG2 recording and I noticed the software were saving approx. every 15min worth of video into an mpg file roughly the size of 600mb. On top of that a playlist file that serves as some sort of Table of Content purposes. The trouble is ONLY the first MPG file is playable. All the subsequent ones are not playable via my windows media player or PowerVCR itself.

Moreover, everytime it finishes recording, it prompt you for a name for the playlist file? So in order to have two separate sessions, the computer needs human interaction to 'finish' off the first one by entering a name for the first playlist file...

And I'm not even complaining abt. the random loss of video picture w/ only the sound from the TV program audible. I normally have to start up the WinTV2000, which is the TV viewing program that comes w/ the card, to get the picture back into PowerVCR program.

I hope I'm doing something wrong as I can hardly believe this coming from the maker of PowerDVD...

·
Registered
317 Posts
i had some issues with MPEG2, i never recorded past the 600meg mark, but i couldn't even get my other networked computers to play a small 300meg mpeg2 clip.

i've just been using the VCD quality, and the picture doesn't dissapear.

the only complaint i have is that sometimes it misses the scheduled recording time from titantv. not sure why though, since it is in the scheduler.

I know MPEG2 is the best quality, but it's just farr too much space. But i'll try and record a long program to test it in MPEG2 & let you know how it turns out.

·
Registered
33 Posts
ShadyMG, I did some more debugging by plain recording (mpeg2 full res) while watching the TV and again, it's churning out mpeg file every 15 minutes w/ size abt. 600MB but as usual, only the first one playable. It seems to me that PowerVCR just can't heck it. One thing I do notice is that screen saver (built-in win2000 ones) would kick in. When I watched TV using WinTV2000 that comes w/ my hauppauge card, the screen saver wouldn't come on at all...

I will try recording by MPEG1 but not holding my breath.

Would WinDVR actually work w/ Hauppauge card? The trial version only allows recording of 5 min so I can't really test out the above-mentioned bug.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Why is there no PVR software for the PC that let’s you access the EPG without connecting to the internet? Additionally, I can’t seem to find any PC PVR software that provides suggestions or intelligently records show similar to TiVo.

Does this software exist for HTPC?

·
Registered
435 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by dkardatzke
Why is there no PVR software for the PC that let’s you access the EPG without connecting to the internet? Additionally, I can’t seem to find any PC PVR software that provides suggestions or intelligently records show similar to TiVo.

Does this software exist for HTPC?
In answer to your first question, this does exist. The Gemstar GuidePlus EPG software I received with my ATI All In Wonder video card does let you access the EPG without having to connect to the internet each time. However if you want to UPDATE the EPG you do need need to connect to the internet to download the new listings (how else could you update the EPG otherwise?).

In answer to your second question, software that implements the intelligence of the TiVo recording ability does not exist yet for PCs.

Cheers

Lester

·
Registered
109 Posts
Has anyone heard about any development for software that intelligently records?

·
Registered
96 Posts
Snapstream PVS is a good app. It only records to Windows Media right now but I'm sure they will add more codec support. Right now they are devloping intelligent recording too. I'm currently beta testing their Snapstream.net product. It has it's bugs but their new version code named Quartz (out probably by the end of the summer regardless of when they say it will come out) is suppose to have lots of new features.

·
Registered
389 Posts
SnapStream PVS is NOT a good app, IMO. It only records to Windows Media right now and they've been promising to add more codec support for a very long time now but have not delivered. Recording things in somewhat acceptable quality with Windows Media codecs completely maxes out my P4 1.8 w/512 mb RDRAM. Useless. Also, their discussion board is filled with complaints that go unanswered. Why should they care about complaints or other codecs when they have Billy G. demonstrating their product at the XP launch?

ShowShifter is currently a much better choice, as you can use any codec you like. It ships with PICVideo's MJPEG codec which does an excellent job at the cost of HD space.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.