AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the planning stages for my HTPC, my main purpose will be PVR functions and Im curious what the most popular Hardware/ Software combo is. Right now I am leaning toward a Haup. 250 card with SageTV 2.0(when released). I know there are several other options out there and would appreciate any opinions since I haven't used any of these products.

Note-My video source will be a digital cable box, and then I will output via component to an HD direct view 36" tv

·
Registered
72 Posts
What are you using as your output from your Settop Box to the Pauppauge.

-Zipper

·
Registered
23,131 Posts
SageTV is great. There's no real reason to wait for 2.0, it's great as it is now, and the upgrade will be free.

I've been a loyal Sage user for about 9mo and wouldn't want to be without it.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sage can either control the cable box with an ir tool or some of them can be controlled with serial ports if they have been enabled in the box. I haven't tried but I have read that the cable companies can enable the ports remotely sometimes.

Sage is a one time purchase fee.

·
Registered
2,380 Posts
Interesting! Just looked at the back of my cable box and it has an IR jack, as well as a USB port and card reader slot up front. If I purchase the PVR250 + Sage bundle do I need any other hardware to control the cable box?

·
Registered
177 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Scotty L
Interesting! Just looked at the back of my cable box and it has an IR jack, as well as a USB port and card reader slot up front. If I purchase the PVR250 + Sage bundle do I need any other hardware to control the cable box?
There are only specific receivers that can currently be controlled with SageTV via serial. You might be lucky, but I would guess you'll need an Actisys IR200L IR blaster and not a serial cable. Fry sells the IR200L too.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.