AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have my eyes on either a Gigabyte or PowerColor Radeon 9000 based card, as they have passive cooling.

Has anyone noticed any difference when it comes to PQ and stability with these cards??

And - which ohter manufactors offers passive cooling for their 9000 boards????

any recomendations?

·
Registered
271 Posts
You can get passive cooling for the ATI 9000 pro.

Zalman makes the ZM50 that works great and does not take up the slot next to the agp like the ZM80 does.

I have had one running on mine for about 2 months and no problems.

hope this helps :)

·
Registered
327 Posts
Qyv10: what did it take to get the stock fan off?

I cast another vote for sapphire 9000. Great PQ and reliability (running for about a month).

matt

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thnx for you replies guys, but the saphires here in Denmark all seem to be with active cooling :-(

Geuss I have to go for either a Gigabyte or powercolor....

·
Registered
271 Posts
To get the stock fan off I put the board in the freezer for about a half hour.

Then used a razor blade to get between the GPU and the HS and just worked it off a little at a time.

DO NOT pry on it with a screw driver, you can easily damage the traces on the board.

Later :)

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
A note about the Sapphire 9000 with passive cooling. Depending on how well your case is ventilated/cooled, you may have heat problems with it when running at the default clock speeds. I found that even after replacing the stock heatsink with one of these that I still would occasionally have problems during playback of long, high-bitrate DVD's such as Lord of the Rings EE. I finally had to use Powerstrip to underclock the card to get rid of these problems.

You may not have these problems depending on your case temperature, but mine runs a bit hot since I'm using the minimum amount of cooling to keep noise down. Underclocking doesn't affect performance or quality of the card unless you plan on playing games.

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by JKohn
A note about the Sapphire 9000 with passive cooling. Depending on how well your case is ventilated/cooled, you may have heat problems with it when running at the default clock speeds. I found that even after replacing the stock heatsink with one of these that I still would occasionally have problems during playback of long, high-bitrate DVD's such as Lord of the Rings EE. I finally had to use Powerstrip to underclock the card to get rid of these problems.

You may not have these problems depending on your case temperature, but mine runs a bit hot since I'm using the minimum amount of cooling to keep noise down. Underclocking doesn't affect performance or quality of the card unless you plan on playing games.
What do you consider a hot case? I have never had any playback or game problems with the sapphire 9000 with its stock heatsink. I have a BX slot 1 motherboard and MBM repots the BX chipset saying that my board temp is 86 F at idle and the hotest I have ever seen it under gaming load is 113F.

·
Registered
327 Posts
And would the same heat problems be evident using HDTV timings? That'd be 60hz but still using the default pixel clock rate? I haven't noticed any heat issues, but don't know if I've encountered any high-bitrate material since switching to the 9000.

matt

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.