AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 149 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone:

I would please appreciate it and welcome any expert help to find the highest rated TVs that have full LED backlight configuration with local dimming.

I have read so much info on what specs are the most important to have for a new TV, that I have become over whelmed with statistics and information. Below are some specs that I think are vital and ones that I want included on my new TV.

The minimum specs that I want included are: size can be between 46 and 55 inches, true 240Hz, 1080p resolution, internet connectivity and can or cannot have 3D.

While I think the above specs are the significant ones to be concerned with I know there are other key ones also.

I am extremely open to anyone's advice as to what other specs are critical and ones I should consider before I buy.

Please give me your recommendations for the TVs and also any advice on what other feature I should be concerned with, so I can make a knowledgeable decision on buying the right TV for me.

Thank you very much,

Joe

·
Registered
164 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by walford /forum/post/19536830

AFAIK the two LG models listed above are Edge Lit local diming models.

AFAIK, you're kinda wrong. They're local dimming with IOP plates my friend! Their only downside is (an anal one), horizontal banding, that is if you get a bad set it can get worse.

·
Registered
8,482 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by undecided /forum/post/19541653

As pointed out by sonyorsammy both the LG 55LE8500 and 55LX9500 are (full) local dimming.

But the question is are they truly back-lit or are they edge-lit.

·
Registered
304 Posts
The 2009 unXXb8500 Samsungs are currently still the best local dimming LED tv's. They have the deepest blacks .001 and the smallest amount of blooming due to having a high amount of lighting zones. The Toshiba Cell zx900 series is supposed to be one of the best with a kira2 backlighting system that offers 1000/cd brightness and 512 local dimming led's but its not released yet and is going to cost a ton of money think like 7000 dollars.

·
Registered
6 Posts
It seems like Samsung & Sony took a step backwards this year on their tvs, LG a half a step foward, and Vizio a big step foward with the XVT series. I'm glad to see that they put out a 42" LED backlit local dimming set. Hopefully the others will follow next year and start putting out 40-42" LED backlit local dimming sets too.

·
Registered
118 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by walford /forum/post/19533195

The Vizio XVTxx3SVT models are one of the very vew offering full backlight local diming, most of the brands only offer edge-lit local dimming.

http://reviews.cnet.com/flat-panel-t...in;contentBody

For the price, features and quality, you can't beat the Vizio XVT series. I know we can't talk price here, but there is going to be an AWESOME sale on the XVT553SV if you look around some of the deal sites.

I recently bought an LG 55LH90 because I got even a better price than I would have gotten on the Vizio for BF, but if that had not been the case, I would have had no hesitation to buy that one. The Vizio actually has more dimming zones than my LG (120 vs. 80) and beat out many other sets on CNET's overall HDTV list for 2010: http://reviews.cnet.com/best-high-definition-tvs/

·
Registered
32,172 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by undecided /forum/post/19541653

As pointed out by sonyorsammy both the LG 55LE8500 and 55LX9500 are (full) local dimming.

I didn't say they were or weren't. Edge-lit local dimming, however, remains truly oxymoronic.

You can't dim something "locally" if it's located on the edge of the frame. Good luck not seeing banding or really weird effects with that kind of "technology".

Full array local dimming is another matter, and remains the best bet long term for great contrast and picture quality.

·
Registered
Sony 65-A8H, Sony HT-ST500
189 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by skydiverforever /forum/post/19543780

It seems like Samsung & Sony took a step backwards this year on their tvs, LG a half a step foward, and Vizio a big step foward with the XVT series.

Not sure what you mean by this, beyond conjecture? The Sony HX9 series TVs have scored well, and were just awarded (Home Theatre Mag) the runner-up designation to the Panny model that has been consistenly voted no. 1 in many reviews.

·
Registered
48 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by skypilotofhope /forum/post/19545956

Not sure what you mean by this, beyond conjecture? The Sony HX9 series TVs have scored well, and were just awarded (Home Theatre Mag) the runner-up designation to the Panny model that has been consistenly voted no. 1 in many reviews.

Samsung and Sony's previous local dimming models were the UNB8500 and XBR8, respectively. As far as I know Samsung has yet to make a fully backlit LD model since the 8500, and I believe the XBR8 has a couple areas where it bests Sony's newer HX9 model (ones off the top of my head are supposedly less blooming and the advantage of RGB LEDs over white LEDs).

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
I would suggest that you check out the website for Home Theater Magazine and look up test reports of local-dimmed LCD sets, as they've been doing very comprehensive and in-depth test reports since the original Sony XRB8 was released 2/3 years ago; Since then, they have tested at least 10 other LCD sets employing local-dimming, some better than others.

They just tested the Vizio 55" set and gave it an excellent review, with some minor caveats, and over the years they've pointed out the achilles heel of watching LCD sets, namely off axis viewing and resulting image degradation, but they also pointed out the benefit of using IPS panels to handle such problem as well as the fact that by using local-dimming manufacturers of IPS panels did away with their inherent lower contrast figures and that their slower pixel response has become much/much less of a clearly visible problem in newer sets.

If i were in the market right now to buy an LCD set, it would have to use local-dimming (a MUST!) and i would definitely check out viewing angle differences between IPS versus S-PVA LCD panels, especially if in your household you'll have more than three people sitting on a wide couch 10 feet away from the screen, just my two cents worth...

·
Registered
16,749 Posts
Yes, a LED local dimming model is a must today however,

If I were to buy a new picture LED set now I would get a 2010 model full backit LED model and not one of the poorer quality edge-lit LED local diming models.

1 - 20 of 149 Posts