AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the early stages of designing a home theater setup for my parents' new house. I have some ideas about the audio side of things, but I am not very knowledgeable when it comes to TV's. I was looking at sony's 57" and 65" rear projection HDTV's in the $4-5k price range, but I suspect there are better sets out there in this range. Any recommendations?

·
Registered
3,681 Posts
I believe the Pioneer Elite can be picked up in this range. I thought they had the sharpest picture when I looked. I settled on a Mits, but the Pioneer was the better looking set.

SM

·
Registered
734 Posts
I'm leaning towards a 55" or 65" Mitsubishi Platinum Plus or Diamond series RPTV in a couple of months. I'd be interested in hearing pros and cons on these sets.

------------------

Tom

Sony SAT-T60 w/2.0.1

Sony SAT-A4

Sony SAN-24MD 24" elliptical dish

·
Registered
830 Posts
Another vote for the Pioneer Elite, although I think it may be just a bit above your budget. I have the Pro-610HD, and I'm very pleased with it.

·
Registered
51 Posts
After much deliberation and looking and relooking at the Sony, Mitsubishi and Pioneer RPTV's, I settled on the Pioneer Elite 610HD and it has been wonderful.

Please keep in mind that Mitsubishi and Sony are releasing new sets in the fall with integrated tuners and firewire connections if this makes a difference to you.

·
Registered
564 Posts
Trust me on this. Get the Toshiba 65H80! The only problem is that it is under your price range. I paid $3500 total, after white glove shipping. It is just a good, or better than many much more expensive HDTV's. You won't be sorry.

With the money I saved I bought a Panasonic H1000 from e-bay for $1000. I also bought a Denon 5800 for $2500 from Crazy Edie's which I am very happy with. I still need to get some good speakers though.

Happy hunting

-Tim

------------------

Remember to write letters to ESPN, Fox Sports Net, and Discovery Channel, requesting HDTV.

·
Registered
636 Posts

Many new models (cheaper& better)will be introduced this fall-so if you can delay your purchase to Dec this year, it will work to your advantage.

Toshiba, Mits, Pioneer, Sony are the major brands and if you get a good quality TV among any of these-you cannot go wrong http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

For now Tosh xxH80 series offer best value with awesome pics..

Oh My! I am still drooling over my 56H80 http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

Cheers,

Kishore

·
Premium Member
11,869 Posts
Go with a Mits Diamond or Pioneer Elite. They are the top two in this price range. They are about the same when compared to each other. If you go with either one it will come down to personal preferance when deciding between the two. You can't go wrong with either set. Good luck!

------------------

Kipp

·
Registered
787 Posts
pio elite. Get the smaller 510 if you have to, but this set is awesome. I personally own a mits, but I would gladly get the pio if my budget could afford it. One thing that is frequently overlooked is the rgb input.

Mits yes, pio yes, sony no, tosh no. If you went with either the sony or the tosh, you'd need to transcode the outputs from the dtc 100, dreamcast vga adapter and or a htpc. rgb+hv is an invaluable input, and I have all three sources above vying for it on my mits. Ive owned the tosh for 3 monthes and seen the sony's up close.(Sony store is across the street from my office). They're fine sets, but the lack of a rgb/vga input is a huge factor. It also helps that the elite offered the best ntsc and atsc pq Ive ever seen.

Good luck.

K

·
Registered
3,681 Posts
The biggest weaknesses of the Mits are:

1) its line doubler is mediocre and needs to be manually changed from film to video.

2) The red push can only be corrected on the component inputs and requires a external attenuator.

Otherwise, it is a good set for the money.

The Pioneer has a better line doubler.

SM

·
Premium Member
5,848 Posts
I have the Elite 610 and I'm happy - it's a good set. On the other hand I had it ISF'd last week and the calibrator had a preference for Toshiba. He felt the Toshiba's have the best "bang for the buck" and can be calibrated beautifully.

------------------

Geof

·
Premium Member
2,117 Posts
Dido on the ISF, I have the Toshiba TW65X81 and I went thru 5 before I got one that work. But now that it works, it's flawless. If it wasn't for the ISF guy I would have have switched to the Pioneer but he swore buy Toshiba and I agree.

The reason I went thru 5 was the first had defect(and went right back), the second was damage by the service guy from the store, 3 and 4 where the DW65X91(which had a DTC-100 tuner built in and had design problems) then 5th was the charm.

So I wouldn't worry about the TV's unless your store damages them on delivery or you the DW65X91(which I would advise to stay away from).

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
I believe the Toshiba is the best buy. The 65H80 is available at Best Buy for $3499. (I have the predecessor, the Toshiba TW65X81, and I love it.)

Rick

·
Registered
166 Posts
Go with the Mits...I have the ws65857. It's like looking out a window.

John

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
$2900 Philips 60PP9601 (60" 4:3 with 55" 16:9 squeeze) with a $725 DVDO iScan Pro should produce a 480i/480p picture about on par with the Pioneer Elite and a 1080i picture superior to the Pioneer Elite. However, in your spot, buying for someone else, I think I would just go with the Pioneer Elite if cost is no issue, or the Toshiba 56H80/65H80 if cost is an issue. Beware that 1080i will be extremely low res on the Toshibas.

------------------

Abdul

Click to subscribe to Philips_HDTV discussion group

·
Registered
275 Posts
mchurchm:

Mitsubishi Diamond, in my opinion side by side comparison is the best TV for the future (high definition and DVD).

I don't watch regular tv anymore, I don't like mediocre picture quality.

It's also upgradeable, so you are cover in the coming technology changes, or as suggested above you could wait for the 2002 models.

Good luck and happy watchings.

Carlos

·
Registered
136 Posts
For the price go with the Mitsubishi Platinum Plus or the Diamond series. Can't beat the price on Mitsubishis and for clarity on High def, boy you can see the difference. The mits. is like watching from a window. I would suggest to go to a store that has all the hdtv sets and compare the pictures...you will see the difference!

------------------

PeterDz

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
abdul: I noticed in your profile that you are also from Las Vegas. I am new here and I have no clue where I could go to see any of these TV's in action. Any suggestions? If possible, I'd like to find a store that has all of the models mentioned in this thread, so I could really compare them side by side. By the way, I am not interested in the phillips since it is 4:3. I need to get a 16:9 TV. Thanks for everyone's input, I think I am leaning toward the Toshiba based on everyone's input, but I really want to see them all side by side.

·
Registered
734 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by trustno1:
Please keep in mind that Mitsubishi and Sony are releasing new sets in the fall with integrated tuners and firewire connections if this makes a difference to you.
Does anybody know where details of these new sets are available or what the release date is expected to be?

I'm considering a 55" or 65" Mitsubishi Platinum Plus or Diamond RPTV and I'm in a quandary as to whether I should get a 2001 model or wait until the 2002 models. Someone else mentioned that they would be available in December, but I don't really want to wait until then, depending on the advantages. I've also heard that Mitsubishi has removed the restriction on correction of the red push problem with the 2002 models. Is this really an issue?

I'm not sure that I want an integrated HD tuner and I don't think that I need a firewire connection. (Or do I? What would this be used for ... direct connection for a firewire digital camcorder?)

------------------

Tom

Sony SAT-T60 DirecTc>ic>Vc>oc> w/2.0.1

Sony SAN-24MD 24" elliptical dish

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.