AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a newbie and would like to get recommandations for the best rear projection TV to watch digital cable. I very rarely watch DVDs and HDTV will not be available for me before at least 5 years (french canada).

I do not care about future upgradability. I want something that does the job today.

Would I loose much picture quality compared to a SONY 40XBR800? This is the TV I will get if I do not buy a rear projection TV.

For fast paced sports like F1 racing, Hockey and Tennis, how would those rear projection TVs compare to a good direct view TV like the 40XBR800?

·
Registered
634 Posts
What is your budget?? The CRT based rear projections seem to do better with non-hd cable feed than the newer technologies (DLP, LCD), and there is a CRT model for every budget.

·
Registered
252 Posts
If you rarely watch DVDs and if you don't have access to HDTV, then a 4:3 Direct-view does not sound like a bad idea. In fact, digital cable may end up looking better on a good old fashioned analog.

·
AVS Forum Special Member
11,139 Posts
I'd suggest a model that doesn't upscale 480i images (any non-HD cable), or gives you the option not to upscale. Upscaling needn't hurt if images are low in noise, not overly compressed, and have good resolution. But that's not always the case, so a 480i cable signal converted to 480p may look better than 480i upscaled to ~1920X540p or 1280X720p. Agree a CRT-based set would be a good investment. If you visit Twice.com and scan their comparison charts for most models, you might come across a 'EDTV' model (extended or enhanced definition) that isn't designed for HD yet still converts images from 480i to 480p. -- John

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.