AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
735 Posts
Go listen to the Pioneer Elite VSX-47 or 49tx when you local dealer has them. The 47 can be had for about $2500-$3000 and you might get luck and find the 49 for under $3000. If I had 3K to spend, these would be the ones I would listen too.

The Denon 4802 is a good choice and it is only about $1500 street price, maybe the extra could go somewhere else.

J-dubb

·
Registered
76 Posts
I, too, would look at the new Pioneer flagship.

The Denon does offer 2 sets of 8 channel analog inputs, where the Pioneer and B&K only have 1. This is very convenient if you are going to take advantage of both DVD-A and SACD.

Otherwise, it's your personal preferance.

Mine....I like the Denon, then the B&K....but I haven't heard/seen the new Pioneer.

Jeremy

·
Registered
36 Posts
For $3000, I'd go with separates like the new Outlaw Audio 950 preamp and their 7 channel amp due out any day. They have a reputation for selling high end stuff at half the usual cost by selling direct over the net www.outlawaudio.com With the money I had left over I'd buy a good separate tuner - a better way to go than using a tuner in a receiver.

·
Registered
925 Posts
Hello mburnstein,

For the money I would buy David Bott used Denon 5800 receiver for only $2000. The regular price I believe was $3800.

Then I would use the extra $1000 saving and add a good HT amplifier like the ATI 1505 (Used) or spend a little more money for the ATI 2505.

Or you can bank the extra $1000 saving and buy a higherend HT amp later like the EAD Powermaster 2000, which is what I am currently using.

Just my 2cents, Brian

·
Registered
850 Posts
Similar to bkwong:

Buy an MC-1 for $2K, and $1K for amplification.

If you want to use both the amplification from the receiver and preamp out, then this suggestion is out the windows.

·
Registered
366 Posts
I'm probably going to take some heat, but here goes...I would give the B&K a serious look. I wouldnt even put it in the same class as some of the others mentioned. It is a much higher end piece. It does not have...DSP's, or alot of bells and whistles. It will have:

a TRUE power rating.....

much better build quality (heavy aluminum/metal not plastic)..

be hand built by a company in good old Buffalo USA.....

great sound.....

It's nice when you have a problem to call a company and have a conversation with someone ( I recommend Jerry) who actually knows the gear and isnt asking you questions from a training manual.

On the downside? Well, you probably will not find an incredible price break on one. You wont find internet companies selling their products. Their pricing is true. Retail price usually stands. You will not, however, see the piece you just bought on UBID a month later for 1/2 price refurbed.

I have had my differences with B&K in the past. Their upgrades took a while longer than promised and I ended up buying their newer model instead of waiting for their upgrade.

I am not knocking the other units people have recommended and dont really want to be flamed. I dont know much about the other pieces listed.

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Ross E
I'm probably going to take some heat, but here goes...I would give the B&K a serious look. I wouldnt even put it in the same class as some of the others mentioned......

I am not knocking the other units people have recommended and dont really want to be flamed. I dont know much about the other pieces listed.
Well if you don't know much about the other pieces then how can you say they aren't in the same class. B&K makes a great unit, but the Denon is in the same class. They both have pluses and minues.

·
Registered
366 Posts
I'm not knocking Denon or Pioneer Elite in my thread. I happen to own a Denon based system also (it's in my barn for when I am working on my motorcycles). Its an AVR3000, Denon Cd transport and Boston Accoustics speakers, it sounds great. I bought the Denon years ago and works like a champ. I also have 2 Big old Denon amps (10+ years old) running 2 of the subs in my system. Denon makes great gear. I still dont put it Denon gear in the same class...it may not be far under. You will definately get more features with the high end Denon receivers. You will also get 7.1 vs 5.1 staying in the same price range. If I am correct a 7.1 B&K receiver will run you upwards of $4000. There will be trade offs to stay around $3000. I personally look at B&K as entry level high end, where I look at the top of the line Denon as at the top of mid-highend.

I also think buying from a US company is important, given the state of things since 9/11. I am not a fanatical buy US person. I own Japanese motorcycles and a mix of US and German cars. I will however steer towards US made products when they are made as well, or are in a comparable price range.

·
Registered
203 Posts
You can get a new AVR 307 from www.unitedhomeproducts.com for $2550 plus shipping. I called B&K back in late September and they are an authorized dealer in Virginia, though not brick and mortar. They have one of these units advertised on audiogon.com. Check it out.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.