AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have read through all these threads until my head smacked against my monitor...some great thoughts out there. I think I am hoping just for some sort of bottomline statement...but opinions are running strong. I'll post what I have and what I am looking for. Thanks in advance for answering yet another one of these questions.

Speakers:

B&W 602.5 S3 (x2 fronts)

B&W 601 S3 (x2 surrounds)

B&W LCR60 S3 (center)

B&W ASW 300 (sub)

All of these speakers are rated 100w/8 ohms

My needs or usage expectations:

An even split on HT/Audio listening.

I don't really care about dvd-a or sacd...I really want higher quality audio, but I am waiting for the dust to settle before I invest

5.1 DTS/DD is fine( i don't require 6.1 or 7.1; I love these technologies but I don't have the space nor do I forsee having it in the short-term future)

MP3/CD-R/CD-RW playback is required

Component input/output is required on receiver ( for HDTV/SAT)

Faroudja DCDi preferred (not deal breaker, but a nice to have)

I am looking for just beautiful sound and video..that's all heh heh.

My main candidates are the Denon 1600 DVD player & the Marantz 7300. Should I stick with these or is there a better dynamic duo out there?

Thanks in advance, you guys are the best.

·
Registered
78 Posts
My front speaker setup is similar to yours, but I don’t have the floor standers. I haven’t heard the Marantz 7300 yet, but I have heard the 7200 (prior model) through both B&W 602.5’s and 604’s and it sounded good. The new Marantz has a detachable power cord so you can replace it with a good aftermarket cord. In my experience, that will definitely make a difference when listening to music but don’t expect much of a difference for movies. Make sure that you “home audition†a power cord before purchasing. Most good audio stores will let you take one home for a few days to try out. Power cords (like most cables) are VERY system dependant.

Another possibility for a receiver is the NAD T-752, but you might want to research posts about NAD’s build quality lately. I currently have the T-751 and when it works it is great. However, I’ve had to take it in for repairs twice this year. If you hadn’t mentioned that component video switching was important to you, I’d also recommend the Arcam AVR-200.

Since you mentioned Faroudja processing, you might want to also look at the Panasonic RP-62. I don’t have one, but it seems to be highly regarded in this forum. For the little bit of extra money, it might be fun to experiment with one of the higher resolution digital formats. The Panasonic RP-82 includes DVD-A and is roughly $50 more than the RP-62.

Do your research and make sure you “try before you buyâ€.

I hope this helps.

·
Registered
272 Posts
I think you already made a good choice. I hear good things about the HK525 also. Yes the Panasonic dvd players get good reviews and are a bit cheaper than the denon. But again, I like your first choice!

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oh wow! Responses!!! Thanks guys. :D

It's really driving me crazy...right now these are the candidates I have read good things on and will try to test; any thoughts are appreciated...and yes I have searched and read on allof these units.

Receivers:

Pioneer Elite 45 tx (read about some power issues)

Onkyo SR800 (heard nothing negative here)

Sony 4ES (i have read it's over priced and remote is hell)

Marantz 7300 (this seems to have zero negative feedback)

I don't think any of these players offer bass management...which would be nice...I think the Pioneer was rumored to, but nothing definite..weird

DVD:

Denon 1600 (no gold plated plugs; no coaxial out)

Pioneer Elite 45a (nice that it's universal, but it had chroma bug..how bad? not sure)

The Panasonic 82 isa fantastic buy and a great player...but I can't get into the reasons why I won't get it...you don't want to know, trust me. :rolleyes:

Yeesh, I'm about to go jump out my window...but I'm only on the first floor :p

·
Registered
272 Posts
exsilio...I think you should jump out the window...with your car keys in hand, then drive down to your av dealer and get the Marantz and the denon.

Ouch! Don't even want to talk about the Panasonic? That's ok, I don't want to talk about my ex-wife either!

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ha ha! :D

Wow...thanks, I really needed that! ;)

And yes, I find myself more and more leaning towards the commit button...it's about time to 'turn my key'!

·
Registered
130 Posts
I would go with the 45tx and the dv-45 both by pioneer. I have the 49txi but have set up 6 friends with the 45tx and dv-45 and all are very happy.

Good Luck

WOOOO HOOOO my first post........ Been lurking for about a year!!;)

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
And a troublemaking post it is!!! :mad:

Just when I think I know...d'oh! :(

Thanks for your input though...I like the fact that the pioneer dvd can do both dvd-a and sacd...but I don't like the idea of the chroma bug..how has it been for you?

do you use the 45a?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.