AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need help in deciding to buy a receiver for around $200. I am considering the following or If you can recommend any which is better at this price point. I will need a center channel level control I assume all the 5:1 receivers have this capability.

1. Onkyo Tx-8511 $257

2. Poineer 811 $229

·
Registered
309 Posts
I like the pioneer 811 a friend of mine has it. I was about to get it until I found out it can't switch HD component input... I see they also released a new version 812? I am not sure what the differences are.

Also you might want to check out the lower end Sony's DE495, 595, 695... although I think they are just coming out so they might be hard to find.

·
Registered
517 Posts
I have the Panasonic SA-HE70 in my bedroom. It normally goes for $199, has a lot of features for that price (dts, DD, 100+ WPC). I got it for a steal at $137 (Fry's one-day special).

Other ones to consider would be its big brothers like the SA-HE100. The 70 works very well for me - though I am only driving 2 Rocket speakers with it.

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by rkb
what does the HD component switching give you.
If you had more than 1 device with component outputs and either your display only has 1 input, or you don't want to have to change source on the display so much, a receiver with component switching would solve that. Basically you could plug two or more (depending on model) component video items into it (DVD player, game console, HD tuner, etc...) and it would switch between them.

I'm not sure which units in that price range (if any) offer component switching though.

As a rule, most of the AVRs in the price range you're looking at (say under $300) are pretty comparable units. Good enough for a basic Home Theater application, though lacking in clarity and power compared to the higher price models.

As a rule (and from past experience) I'd wager you'd be about equally happy with Pio, Onkyo, or Sony products in the same range. Probably a few other brands too, but those are the only ones I have experience with in the lower price range.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.