AVS Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I was planning on getting the Yamaha RX-765 and I'm still thinking about it. However, I figured that being the savvy consumer I am I would never buy something without asking around trying to find the best bang for my buck. So I leave it to you all to help me.

I plan on using this to drive Monitor 70 polk speakers to start and I want a 7 channel receiver (even if I'm not using all 7 channels now the amp in that would be much better than a 5.1 right?) and I'd like it to be able to use 2 subs without having to use a splitter or at least hear why I should use a splitter instead of having both subs plug directly into the sub. Anyway, I hope this will help me buy a receiver that I actually need rather than get stuck in the marketing hype and paying for something I don't need.

Receiver will be for mostly video games then music then movies and I don't need any 3D features or Zone 2 although I think every receiver I ever seem to look at does that.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Already did I thought it would help but most were actually over 400 dollars as people wanted you to spend more. I'm leaning to the more around the 325 dollar range with 350 as my max. I'm pretty much going to end up with 2 Monitor 70s, a CS2 center, and probably 2 small satellites and wont get to 7.2 ever or not for 3 years(my room currently just wouldn't make sense for it).

I read through your thread and everything was well out my price range.

·
Registered
88 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tential /forum/post/19586297

Already did I thought it would help but most were actually over 400 dollars as people wanted you to spend more. I'm leaning to the more around the 325 dollar range with 350 as my max. I'm pretty much going to end up with 2 Monitor 70s, a CS2 center, and probably 2 small satellites and wont get to 7.2 ever or not for 3 years(my room currently just wouldn't make sense for it).

Onkyo TX-SR608 (refurb) for $300 + $25 shipping?

Onkyo HT-RC260 (refurb) for $270 + $25 shipping?

Yamaha RXV1065BL (new) for $325 + (admittedly high) $40 shipping?

Onkyo HT-RC260 (new) for $320 + free shipping

·
Registered
4,692 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tential /forum/post/19586297

The Pioneer is $360 right now on Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-VSX-10...1373359&sr=8-1

I have an older Pioneer 1018 running the Polk 70's and CS20 and R 50's. and my brother in law has the Pioneer 1019 running Polk 60's and CS20, and have no problems with the Pioneer pushing these speakers.

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok the Onkyo's look like the best bet here. I can also get the Yamaha RX-765 for $350. At these price points which do you think is the best bet and why?

Everything must be new.

TX-SR608

HT-RC260

RX-765

or Pioneer one.

The pioneer one is lacking PC control which is in it's top of the line model. Do any of the other ones have that? I can't seem to tell and what is the difference between the SR608 and the RC260?

·
Registered
29,111 Posts
Main difference between the RC260 and the SR608 is the THX Select Plus certification on the SR-608. Onkyo didn't bother to get the RC260 certified.

Plus the 608 has a PC Input and is Sirius radio ready.

otherwise the power, weight and dimensions are all the same.

·
Registered
318 Posts
I'd also look at Denon avr-591, since it got Audyssey MultEQ room correction. MultEQ works great for me in my horribly untreated living room, with big windows, glass fireplace doors, and tile floor with not much of an area rug.

·
Registered
66 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by afrogt /forum/post/0

Main difference between the RC260 and the SR608 is the THX Select Plus certification on the SR-608. Onkyo didn't bother to get the RC260 certified.

Plus the 608 has a PC Input and is Sirius radio ready.

otherwise the power, weight and dimensions are all the same.

I just picked up a 608 at best buy. They have it clearanced (I heard the guys at magnolia say they may not be carrying onkyo any more) and mine was open box at $250. I'd say go check it out!

·
Registered
66 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamonddelts /forum/post/0

If you are going to be trying to power a 7.1 setup in the future with a $300 receiver then you might be setting yourself up for failure.

Why do you say that? As a first timer, I am genuinely interested, not being sarcastic...

·
Registered
30,154 Posts
he says that because he has giant, power-hungry speakers and is hung up on gobs of amplifier power.

it all depends on the specifics of your setup, needs, expectations.. plenty of people are perfectly happy running entry- to mid-level receivers. The Onkyo 608 has plenty of power for typical, 8-ohm speakers at "living room" volumes.

·
Banned
2,053 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by aguptaweb /forum/post/19595999

Why do you say that? As a first timer, I am genuinely interested, not being sarcastic...

Because the specs on most receivers are misleading. Most of today's flagship receivers power specs drop when going past 5.1 let along the entry level models.

So if one plans on using a full 7 channel setup that might be taxing on an entry level receiver that might be putting out around 30 watts or less in 7 channel mode. But as stated it will also depend on your speakers. If you are running fairly efficient satellites for instance, a low level receiver might run them just fine to fairly high listening levels.

Bottome line is a cheap receiver can get the job done in a 5 channel or 7 channel setup however your speaker options will be severely limited.

·
Registered
52 Posts
The Yamaha 765 has pre-outs while the Onkyo's you listed don't. Pre-outs gives you the option to add an external amp in the future. I have a 765 powering my secondary system and it sounds solid using its internal amps. However, my primary system uses an external 7-channel amp and I like having the option of upgrading the 765's power down the road.

·
Registered
291 Posts
The Sony STR-DH810 will do it, and allows for a separate amplifier for the rear speakers if necessary.

DelJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamonddelts /forum/post/19594800

If you are going to be trying to power a 7.1 setup in the future with a $300 receiver then you might be setting yourself up for failure.

·
Banned
2,053 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tential /forum/post/19586032

Ok I was planning on getting the Yamaha RX-765 and I'm still thinking about it. However, I figured that being the savvy consumer I am I would never buy something without asking around trying to find the best bang for my buck. So I leave it to you all to help me.

I plan on using this to drive Monitor 70 polk speakers to start and I want a 7 channel receiver (even if I'm not using all 7 channels now the amp in that would be much better than a 5.1 right?) and I'd like it to be able to use 2 subs without having to use a splitter or at least hear why I should use a splitter instead of having both subs plug directly into the sub. Anyway, I hope this will help me buy a receiver that I actually need rather than get stuck in the marketing hype and paying for something I don't need.

Receiver will be for mostly video games then music then movies and I don't need any 3D features or Zone 2 although I think every receiver I ever seem to look at does that.

Thanks in advance!

I would go with this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-153-_-Product

1 - 19 of 19 Posts