AVS Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my first post and I'm receiver shopping. I've got 5.1 speakers in my living room and want to put four outdoor speakers in my yard. I want to be able to have the four outdoor speakers on a separate zone but I seem to be only seeing B channels or single zones that support two speakers and I want four. I didn't want two separate receivers because I play music from my Apple TV and didn't want to have to get a second Apple TV for a second receiver.

I've seen some receivers (Elite SC-85, for example) that have a main zone and two sub zones, and I see that you can play music on all speakers at once, but I can't figure out from the manual if you can just have Zone 2 and Zone 3 playing from the same source with the main zone indoor off. Is there a receiver that's good for this?

I was also confused about the SC-85 because it seems as though in one place you have to have a separate amp for zone 3 and elsewhere it seems to say you do not.

Clearly I am not advance audiophile but I would like to have a real broad sound for the outside and was hoping for four Definitive Technology AW 6500 Outdoor Speakers. The yard is only 30 x 50 feet or so, so perhaps two would be fine but I kinda like the distributed sound.

Thank you!

- Christian

·
Premium Member
93,204 Posts
If you want the same audio to both sets of outdoor speakers, you can connect an impedance matching speaker selector to the Zone 2 speaker posts on a 7CH model (ie. 5.1 + Zone 2)(see link below). If connecting more than 2 sets of speakers, you'll want to connect an external amp to the Zone 2 pre-outs instead. If you want 5.1 in the main zone and powered separate Zones 2 and 3, you will need a 9CH AVR. The SC-85 is a 9CH AVR and so can do this; however, can only output the networking and analog connected audio sources to Zones 2/3. The Denon X3100W is a 7CH model and can output 2CH HDMI/optical/analog and networking to Zone 2, while the Denon X5200W is a 9CH model can can pass the same to Zone 2 and optical/analog and networking to Zone 3 (ie. just no HDMI). Call us at AV Science for pricing and additional information if interested in any of these models.

http://www.amazon.com/Speaker-Selector-Impedance-Matching-Output/dp/B002I9XKTE

http://www.amazon.com/AudioSource-AMP-100-Stereo-Power-Amplifier/dp/B00026BQJ6

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi jdsmoothie,

when you say "networking and analog connected audio sources to Zones 2/3", does that mean that the Apple TV coming into an HDMI input won't work? It would seem that the Denon would not work either since HDMI sources do not go to Zone 3.

I read a little on the forum about these speaker selectors but they seem scary to use. I feel like I wouldn't know if enough wattage would be going to the 200 watt AW 6500 and I still have no idea what the ohms and impedance and such are but I want to make sure that putting all four speakers on a connection for two isn't going to make the speakers less effective in anyway. I don't anticipate using more than 5.1 in the house. I mostly watch TV on my laptop and only occasionally watch anything on the big LCD TV to justify too many speakers dominating my living room.

So are there no 9 Channel receivers where Zone 2 and 3 (and perhaps even all three if I decide to play the same indoors and outdoors) can access the HDMI coming from the Apple TV? What about Airplay? If I Airplay in from my laptop or the phone, would that be considered "networking?" Still, I'd much rather use the Apple TV since it's accessing music in the cloud and I don't have to take up my phone or my laptop.

Also, I didn't get to these forums through an e-commerce site and I guess i didn't realize it was part of one. Do you have a phone number? The links you posted to Amazon doesn't seem to be sold through you. If you're helping me, I'd rather give you the business. I'm loyal that way.

·
Premium Member
93,204 Posts
^^
Correct. The Apple TV would also have to be connected with an analog cable (ie. using an optical --> analog converter, or HDMI --> analog converter) if using the Pioneer or to pass audio to Zone 3 on the Denon.

The AW6500 hardly uses 200W, on average only using 5W at best.

Correct. AFAIK, no AVRs can output HDMI to all 3 zones (and actually only a few can output it to Zone 2).

Correct. Anything streamed to the AVR (Airplay, Spotify Connect, Pandora, SiriusXM) is considered "networking" and as such can pass to both Zones 2 and 3.

AVScience was originally started as the sales leg of AVSForum, and although both were started at the same time about 16-17 years ago by the same owner, now each is independently owned. We are an authorized dealer for all of the major brands (Denon, Marantz, Pioneer, Yamaha, and Onkyo). You can call me directly using the phone listed in my sig at the bottom of this post or below my forum name on the left. I am available now.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Follow JDSmoothie's advice and you will be fine. I have a Denon 4000 and use all three zones: Main 5.1, Zone 2: kitchen, Zone 3: patio. Apple TV with HDMI and analog connections and I can have both zones playing same music (Both Zones 2 and 3 will be your yard speakers) Only issue is I have to use a 2 channel amp to one of my zones because the Denon 4000 only has 7 channels of built in amplification.

Using a speaker selector as JDS recommended is easy. Just use one that has impedance matching circuitry. That makes sure the speakers stay at 4 or 8 Ohm and won't risk ruining the receiver from overheating. Monoprice has them I believe.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
joeyvaz: I'm confused. When you say the Apple TV has HDMI and analog connections, how is this? Do you run HDMI out of the Apple TV to one zone, and then analog out from the Apple TV to the other simultaneously? I thought the Apple TV only had HDMI and digital optical? Also, if I get a 9.1 system, will that have 9 channels of built in amplification?

I'm trying to avoid using a speaker selector if I can. If I'm guessing correctly, none of the connections for the four patio speakers need to be digital anyway because it's not a home theater setup, but rather two stereo pairs. If the two pairs can be on Zones 2 and 3 (if I'm correct in understanding how you're using the Apple TV) then I'm guessing I can choose to have one or two pairs running depending on how much sound I want. But I'd want to be able to have Zones 2 and 3 playing at the same time. I'm guessing the receiver can do this?

Thank you for all your help. I'll definitely be calling jdsmoothie when I've made my decision on the receiver.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm reading the manual for AVR-X5200W and that looks pretty cool but it still seems to say you can't play HDMI audio on Zone 3. That is so bizarre. I'm not outputting video or anything. You would think the machine would translate whatever audio goes into it for all outputs.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Also, Denon's multi-room audio feature says "You can select and play back the respective inputs in MAIN ZONE, ZONE2 and ZONE3". If this is the case, can it really not play music in just zones 2 and 3 if it's coming from an HDMI source?

·
Premium Member
93,204 Posts
I'm reading the manual for AVR-X5200W and that looks pretty cool but it still seems to say you can't play HDMI audio on Zone 3. That is so bizarre. I'm not outputting video or anything. You would think the machine would translate whatever audio goes into it for all outputs.
HDMI audio can only go to the main zone and Zone 2. In fact, up until last year, well over 95% of all AVRs on the market couldn't pass other than analog audio to Zone 2 (and Zone 3) let alone HDMI or digital. Now, a few more can do HDMI to another zone mostly via an HDMI Zone monitor output.

Also, Denon's multi-room audio feature says "You can select and play back the respective inputs in MAIN ZONE, ZONE2 and ZONE3". If this is the case, can it really not play music in just zones 2 and 3 if it's coming from an HDMI source?
Correct. Again, no HDMI audio to Zone 3. If that's what you want, you would be better served simply connecting a speaker switch to the Zone 2 speaker posts or pre-outs (if using an external amp).

·
Registered
2 Posts
HDMI audio can only go to the main zone and Zone 2. In fact, up until last year, well over 95% of all AVRs on the market couldn't pass other than analog audio to Zone 2 (and Zone 3) let alone HDMI or digital. Now, a few more can do HDMI to another zone mostly via an HDMI Zone monitor output.

Correct. Again, no HDMI audio to Zone 3. If that's what you want, you would be better served simply connecting a speaker switch to the Zone 2 speaker posts or pre-outs (if using an external amp).
Hi I have a similar case, as above, but in a smaller scale.
I'm currently using Yamaha RX-V373 with 5.1 speakers. I'm thinking to extend to the Kitchen area with 2 speakers via Bluetooth. I'm not very sure if it's feasible. My intended setup as below.

RX-V373 ---- RCA out (Recording devices) --- Logitech Bluetooth Transmitter ---Logitech Bluetooth Transmitter ---2.1 Computer Speakers input.

I read in the manual from V373 states that there's a WARNING : the Audio RCA Out is solely for recording devices like VCR. I don't think it's very much different if I connect it to a Bluetooth Transmitter..

Any ideas if this setup would work ?

My intention is to play music from Radio / mp3 via Aux output to 5.1 speaker (living room) + 2.1 speakers (kitchen)
Inputs and suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks for your time.

·
Premium Member
93,204 Posts
I read in the manual from V373 states that there's a WARNING : the Audio RCA Out is solely for recording devices like VCR. I don't think it's very much different if I connect it to a Bluetooth Transmitter..
That warning is likely to ensure someone doesn't connect the AUDIO OUT to an external amp. Also note that the only audio that will pass to the AUDIO OUT is an external source connected to one of the two analog audio inputs.

·
Registered
2 Posts
That warning is likely to ensure someone doesn't connect the AUDIO OUT to an external amp. Also note that the only audio that will pass to the AUDIO OUT is an external source connected to one of the two analog audio inputs.

Just curious, what would actually happen if the AUDIO OUT is connected to an external amp ??

If i'm merely connecting to a Bluetooth transmitter, so it will work ? But only via Analog audio input and not HDMI / Aux / etc.. ??

So I guess my intended setup wouldn't work this way.. unless I have the input via those Analog inputs and output via Bluetooth transmitter.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
jdsmoothie: I'm actually looking into Sonance speakers so I only need the digital to Zone two, so X3100W sounds like a good option for that. When you say networking, does that mean that Airplay will output to Zone 2? I'll probably be using the Apple TV to play music from the cloud (iTunes Match), but in case I do airplay, I'd want that in Zone 2.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.