AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,

I am working on piecing together my new HT system now that I am done with college and have been buying bits and pieces over the past few months.

I currently have the Samsung 50" 720p Plasma, a ps3 slim for Blu Ray, and my old 5.0 Pioneer bookshelf's which I bought a polk audio psw10 to replace the sub that was lost in the move. I got everything for very good deals so far and am now trying to decide on a receiver in the $500 range.

My Pioneer speakers are 100w speakers so it shouldnt be a issue. But I am looking to get the new Martin Logans down the line or the DefTech 800's

Right now I have my heart set on the Pioneer Elite VSX-21. I can get it brand new, shipped for $490.00 from a dealer. I am wondering if I should go with that or if their is something better now since the 2010 models are coming out.

I have always had Pioneer's and never had a problem, but if their is something better for the $$ I am open to suggestions.

Thank you in advance, I have been reading nothing but good advice here for the past few months.

·
Banned
1,386 Posts
Onkyo 608 looks good, your timing makes it hard cause the new 1.4 hdmi avrs are going tobe showing up very shortly. So waiting is best at this time. The prices on current units should fall as the new units appear. The waiting game has now started.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's what I was afraid of, I want to wait, but for that price it seems like a hell of a deal. I also don't want it to sell out if I want too long. I think I may give it a few more weeks and see what else is announced.

·
Banned
1,386 Posts
Its your move, if you need it now thats one thing, if you can wait, I would, unless 3d means nothing to you at this time or any time soon. Its just about 3d and 1.4 hdmi.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, 3-d and 1.4 don't really mean much to me at the moment. My biggest thing is iPod hook up and Audio/Video through HDMI so no optical audio cables.

Which is why I was liking the VSX-21, audio/video through hdmi, included iPod dock/hookup, and the mcaac calibration.

·
Registered
3,637 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by googlegod /forum/post/18304531

Its your move, if you need it now thats one thing, if you can wait, I would, unless 3d means nothing to you at this time or any time soon. Its just about 3d and 1.4 hdmi.

This is the $$$$ question for a lot of people. Personally I don't see 3D in my future for a few years. I don't like being an early adopter of brand new technology when the technology could drastically change in a few years.

If I were the OP I would go with the Pioneer as it will more than likely do everything you need it to for the next few years. Unless you are seriously thinking of getting a 3D display within the next two years, get the Pioneer.

There maybe some really good deals coming with model end clear-outs, but I don't see companies giving away their stock. They still have a bottom line that they can't go under. I don't see prices being much different than years past. The new 3D/HDMI 1.4 models won't be sold at cheaper rates until the old stock is gone.

·
Banned
1,386 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyrnes /forum/post/18304637

This is the $$$$ question for a lot of people. Personally I don't see 3D in my future for a few years. I don't like being an early adopter of brand new technology when the technology could drastically change in a few years.

If I were the OP I would go with the Pioneer as it will more than likely do everything you need it to for the next few years. Unless you are seriously thinking of getting a 3D display within the next two years, get the Pioneer.

There maybe some really good deals coming with model end clear-outs, but I don't see companies giving away their stock. They still have a bottom line that they can't go under. I don't see prices being much different than years past. The new 3D/HDMI 1.4 models won't be sold at cheaper rates until the old stock is gone.

Thats it , I told my dad, he calls all the time , when , when, wait till the 3d panels hit the stores than buy a high end 2d at a good/great price, than when all the 3d hype smoke clears out, it than to late for the deals. Its all in the hype..

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
Hello,

I would honestly say a used Onkyo TX-SR805. Fantastic amplifier section, Audyssey MultEQ XT, Burr Brown PCM-1796 DAC's, THX Ultra2 Certification and Processing, and made in Japan.

The 805, in my opinion, is the greatest value in the HDMI AVR era. The replacement models do not come close to offering the same amount of power, quality of Dac's, and the use of MultEQ XT.

Cheers,

AD

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I just answered my own dilemma. I called the dealer and just bought a Pioneer Elite VSX-23 for $585 shipped. They were all out of the 21. This will more than suffice my needs for the next 3-4 years till this 3-D fad either dies or get's much cheaper, then I will invest in a 3-D Tv/ receiver possibly.

I guess this thread can be closed now.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts