AVS Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for a new receiver for a home theater, and have a budget (set by the wife, of course) of $500. I've looked at a few brands/models and almost settled on the Onkyo TX-NR626, but the reports on the ongoing HDMI issues with the 626 and a few other Onkyos have made me very reluctant to go with them.

I need a receiver that has the following features:

• Minimum of 6 HDMI in / 2 out
  • ARC
  • 4K- and 3D-passthrough
  • Bluetooth and Wi-Fi

I'm not too concerned about Dolby Atmos support, but one thing I'm unsure about is if I should get a receiver that supports the newer HDMI 2.0 standard at 60 Hz. This receiver will feed a projector and HDTV, but I'll probably upgrade the TV to UHD in a year or two.

Any suggestions on a reliable receiver that meets the above requirements and delivers excellent audio, within my budget?

·
Premium Member
8,007 Posts
If you're willing to go with a refurbished model accessories4less.com has a number of options in that price range such as the Denon S900W or the Marantz SR5009.

·
Premium Member
8,007 Posts
Understood. I would look for sales then. Generally, new models with 2 HDMI outs are going to start at $600. Pretty much all the new models from low end to higher end (8 or more HDMI ins) have 6 HDMI ins now.

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
At each price point, they're largely the same. onkyo has had its fair share of issues recently.
Recently?;) Try the last 3-6 yrs!:cool:

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
My suggestion would be that a grown man should own his own budget and not be given an allowance. Given that the head of your household is only giving you $500, I'd really consider those refurbs on accessories4less. You're not getting anything by buying new. Alternatively, buy something used. You'll get a lot more in that price range.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My suggestion would be that a grown man should own his own budget and not be given an allowance. Given that the head of your household is only giving you $500, I'd really consider those refurbs on accessories4less. You're not getting anything by buying new. Alternatively, buy something used. You'll get a lot more in that price range.
I was being facetious. :rolleyes: The budget's a mutual decision. But if you're more interested in providing unwanted, condescending personal insults than actual, on-topic advice, I suggest you look at a different forum.

Postrokfan, I've honed in on the Denon S900W you suggested and the Yamaha A830, but am leaning toward the Denon. It's $499 on Amazon and Best Buy right now and has everything I need. :)

·
Premium Member
8,007 Posts
I was being facetious. :rolleyes: The budget's a mutual decision. But if you're more interested in providing unwanted, condescending personal insults than actual, on-topic advice, I suggest you look at a different forum.

Postrokfan, I've honed in on the Denon S900W you suggested and the Yamaha A830, but am leaning toward the Denon. It's $499 on Amazon and Best Buy right now and has everything I need. :)
I was just about to post that the Denon S900W was on sale. ;) Not a bad deal or choice at that price.

Reactions: Starlord

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
If you want to go new rather than used/refurbished, you could probably get the newer Onkyo TX-NR636 for ~$500 when on sale. This would give you everything the 626 has plus an HDCP 2.2 compliant HDMI input/output, 2160p60 (8 bit, 4:2:0) and Atmos. The Sony STR-DN1050 would be another choice. It will also do 2160p60 (8 bit, 4:2:0) though it lacks HDCP 2.2 and Atmos.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.