AVS Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for a new receiver for a home theater, and have a budget (set by the wife, of course) of $500. I've looked at a few brands/models and almost settled on the Onkyo TX-NR626, but the reports on the ongoing HDMI issues with the 626 and a few other Onkyos have made me very reluctant to go with them.

I need a receiver that has the following features:

• Minimum of 6 HDMI in / 2 out
  • ARC
  • 4K- and 3D-passthrough
  • Bluetooth and Wi-Fi

I'm not too concerned about Dolby Atmos support, but one thing I'm unsure about is if I should get a receiver that supports the newer HDMI 2.0 standard at 60 Hz. This receiver will feed a projector and HDTV, but I'll probably upgrade the TV to UHD in a year or two.

Any suggestions on a reliable receiver that meets the above requirements and delivers excellent audio, within my budget?

·
Premium Member
7,282 Posts
If you're willing to go with a refurbished model accessories4less.com has a number of options in that price range such as the Denon S900W or the Marantz SR5009.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If you're willing to go with a refurbished model accessories4less.com has a number of options in that price range such as the Denon S900W or the Marantz SR5009.
Thanks for the reply, postrokfan. I'll check those out, but I'd prefer to buy new.

·
Premium Member
7,282 Posts
Understood. I would look for sales then. Generally, new models with 2 HDMI outs are going to start at $600. Pretty much all the new models from low end to higher end (8 or more HDMI ins) have 6 HDMI ins now.

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
At each price point, they're largely the same. onkyo has had its fair share of issues recently.
Recently?;) Try the last 3-6 yrs!:cool:

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Any other suggestions? I need to make a decision in the next few days so it'll be here for me to test out before my theater space is ready. :)

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
My suggestion would be that a grown man should own his own budget and not be given an allowance. Given that the head of your household is only giving you $500, I'd really consider those refurbs on accessories4less. You're not getting anything by buying new. Alternatively, buy something used. You'll get a lot more in that price range.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My suggestion would be that a grown man should own his own budget and not be given an allowance. Given that the head of your household is only giving you $500, I'd really consider those refurbs on accessories4less. You're not getting anything by buying new. Alternatively, buy something used. You'll get a lot more in that price range.
I was being facetious. :rolleyes: The budget's a mutual decision. But if you're more interested in providing unwanted, condescending personal insults than actual, on-topic advice, I suggest you look at a different forum.

Postrokfan, I've honed in on the Denon S900W you suggested and the Yamaha A830, but am leaning toward the Denon. It's $499 on Amazon and Best Buy right now and has everything I need. :)

·
Premium Member
7,282 Posts
I was being facetious. :rolleyes: The budget's a mutual decision. But if you're more interested in providing unwanted, condescending personal insults than actual, on-topic advice, I suggest you look at a different forum.

Postrokfan, I've honed in on the Denon S900W you suggested and the Yamaha A830, but am leaning toward the Denon. It's $499 on Amazon and Best Buy right now and has everything I need. :)
I was just about to post that the Denon S900W was on sale. ;) Not a bad deal or choice at that price.

Reactions: Starlord

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
If you want to go new rather than used/refurbished, you could probably get the newer Onkyo TX-NR636 for ~$500 when on sale. This would give you everything the 626 has plus an HDCP 2.2 compliant HDMI input/output, 2160p60 (8 bit, 4:2:0) and Atmos. The Sony STR-DN1050 would be another choice. It will also do 2160p60 (8 bit, 4:2:0) though it lacks HDCP 2.2 and Atmos.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts