AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the best receiver I can get for 800-850? Getting ready to build a small theater room. I'm using Axiom audio 5.2 speakers.I need to be 4-ohm capable as my center speaker require it. Please let me know what you think.... Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
7,063 Posts
Very few AVRs are really able to drive 5 speakers that are 4 ohms (while maintaining low distortion).

I suggest that you get the NAD T-758 receiver. It is $1000, but is probably the cheapest one you can buy that will do a good job, and SOUND good.

Note that it gives a distortion spec of .08% for full power output, which is 60 watts to all seven channels simultaneously (or 243 watts per channel to two channels with 4 ohm loads).

NO Yamaha, Pioneer, Sony, Anthem, or Onkyo receiver will even give you any kind of distortion specs for those kinds of loads, because they would be at least 5 times as high. In short, they suck.

They can drive an 8 ohm resistor with low distortion (two channels only); but a typical speaker system is 100 times as difficult to drive.

The simple fact is that MOST speakers are 4 or 5 ohms at some frequencies, and most AVRs have power supplies that are either marginally adequate or totally inadequate to drive MOST 5-speaker systems with low distortion.

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
Emotiva has a new receiver at $699 which does well in terms of power and offers full PEQ:

http://shop.emotiva.com/collections/av-receivers/products/fusion-8100

Keep in mind that it takes double the power to gain 3db so the different between 50wpc and 60wpc isn't all that great.

Cambridge Audio makes some nice stuff, but certainly don't offer the best value. You can easily pick up something like a Yamaha receiver with preouts and an Emotiva amp for the same price of the 551 which would offer more power and features.

Axiom speakers are usually 8 ohm nominal and pretty efficient so I'm curious which model(s) you have.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnatalli  /t/1522279/best-receiver-for-800-850-dollars#post_24474851

Emotiva has a new receiver at $699 which does well in terms of power and offers full PEQ:

http://shop.emotiva.com/collections/av-receivers/products/fusion-8100

Keep in mind that it takes double the power to gain 3db so the different between 50wpc and 60wpc isn't all that great.

Cambridge Audio makes some nice stuff, but certainly don't offer the best value. You can easily pick up something like a Yamaha receiver with preouts and an Emotiva amp for the same price of the 551 which would offer more power and features.

Axiom speakers are usually 8 ohm nominal and pretty efficient so I'm curious which model(s) you have.

I'm gonna take alook at the Emotiva you talking about.

Axiomaudio I own are : M60 for front , VP180 for Center, and Rear surround M22 and 3 elemental design A-300 Subwoofers.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts