AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Usually, I think about this in the opposite way. What do I need in my pc to work with my receiver. Anyway, if you are connecting through HDMI/digital (probably the simplest method) then any of those mentioned will work fine. If you want an analogue connection none work.

·
Registered
5,622 Posts
The PC is just another source, there ain't nothing special about a PC feeding a receiver. All you want to know is that the receiver don't have any quirks switching multiple HDMI sources, assuming that's what you will be doing.

Like the other ^ guy says, HDMI no problemo. If you like one of those folks who want the PC to do all the processing and control and feed the whole 7.1 analog channels to the receiver's amplifier section, am out.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Get a network-enabled receiver and just connect the PC and AVR to a network switch or router. The PC can be hidden away in another room adn the AVR's remote can be used to access content on the PC and any EHD's connected to the PC.

Reactions: toddman36

·
Registered
3,116 Posts
The PC is just another source, there ain't nothing special about a PC feeding a receiver. All you want to know is that the receiver don't have any quirks switching multiple HDMI sources, assuming that's what you will be doing.

Like the other ^ guy says, HDMI no problemo. If you like one of those folks who want the PC to do all the processing and control and feed the whole 7.1 analog channels to the receiver's amplifier section, am out.
You are incorrect. It depends upon what media you are playing from your computer. If you are trying to output hi-res, multichannel PCM or DSD you may run into issues if the computer does not have drivers for your receiver (ASIO). You are usually better off running USB output if you are trying to play high resolution music from your computer to your receiver. Most receivers will not even work with these files.

·
Banned
5,866 Posts
I use a computer of computers into a AVR. Works fine, DVI-HDMI for video, optical/coaxial onboard for audio.

Except I get lines, I think it's because the AVR doesn't support the 1900x1200 resolution. If I leave the computer go into monitor power save mode, then move the mouse I get garbage onscreen, until I reboot the computer.

·
Registered
613 Posts
I use a Lenovo M72e micro PC connected via Display Port to HDMI adapter out to my Denon 4100. Works great. First you need to determine how you will out video and audio out to the receiver. Hopefully your PC has HDMI or Display Port so it's one connection back to your receiver. BTW, I've used this connection on my last receiver (Onkyo 818) and it worked just as well. So any of the receivers you've mention will work.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.