AVS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I'm looking to purchase a receiver, I have a budget of about 800, to run a high end pair of speakers; (Revel Gem2s). I know a receiver wouldn't be the ideal source for these speakers but I need to get a receiver instead of separates. What would be the best receiver to run these speakers? I need it to have all the new Dolby and Dts technologies and I don't really need any video features since I'll either run the video direct to my TV (Pioneer 151) or use the HDMI pass through.

Thx

·
Registered
66 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Spy /forum/post/14204107

Cambridge Audio 540R V3 is found by many to have best SQ at the price.

I would recommend the soon to be released Harman Kardon AVR-354. HK is known for their excellent sound quality.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by edsano-hd /forum/post/14207567

I would recommend the soon to be released Harman Kardon AVR-354. HK is known for their excellent sound quality.

Just checked that out and it looks really nice. The only question is the power output is rated at 75W. Pretty week especially considering it's going to be running speakers with 86db efficiency (Revel Gem2s). It does have a pre-amp out though that you could hook up to an external amp which is good. Would there be a way to get more power if I only connected two or three speakers?

·
Registered
6,468 Posts
I wouldn't worry about HKs power specs to much. Actually they are more to true world performance than other manufacturers. They do the ratings with all channels driven from 20-20 where most do 2 channels or even 1 at times and sometimes at 1khz to get inflated specs. HK will perform as well or better than any avr in the price category when it comes to power.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Probably not but HK rates their stuff pretty conservatively. Remember, you have to double your power to hear an audible difference in volume. $5K Revels deserve a pretty beefy amp section though.

How much processing do you really need? Do you need the absolute newest formats? You might be better off with a couple year old NAD or Rotel receiver.

Some high end AVRs with power around 120-140 WPC for around 800ish if you look around.

Pioneer Elite VSX 92TXH

Yammy RX-V1800BL

ONKYO TX-SR875

Better yet, there is an Acdom GFR-700 on ebay for $850. Its got 145 WPC and listed for $2K. It would be a good match for the Revels.

Not sure if your willing to go used or what you are willing to give up. Problem is you have power hungry speakers and without knowing your room size its tough to know what you need or like as far as SPL.

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
I own Gem 2's plus the Salons and if your not going separates I "HIGHLY" recommend a used Arcam AVR 300. There more than what you want to spend used on Audiogon (around 1100 bucks) but I can assure you that those speakers will not sound sweeter.

If you need to stay around the 800 dollar mark I also suggest the Cambridge Audio 540 R v3 receiver. If your looking for pure Sound Quality either one of these receivers should be on your short list.

Went thru and found this one on Audiogon, you will get very little argument from anyone here about the Sound Quality on these Arcam Units...anyway I just thought I would throw it out there.

http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls....cvr&1219542877

·
Registered
18,923 Posts
Harmon Kardon rates their receivers by driving all the channels at the same time, and therefore ends up with lower power ratings. I would guess their power / price ratio is pretty comparable to Yamaha, Onkyo etc. They do seem to price their products competively.

As for sound quality, you will probably have to buy and try. You could read pro reviews of other HK products, but you should always be the final judge.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts