AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

It looks like I need to buy a new receiver even though I just purchased one a year ago.

I need a receiver with two HDMI outs for 2 zones and I would like to use wireless surround headphones with it.

I like the Sony MDR-DS7500's, they have an HDMI passthrough.

Are there any receivers that feed sound out through the HDMI?

Any other receiver recommendations ?

Thanks..

Jerry

·
Registered
10 Posts
In the same situation. I currently have the headphones in between the receiver and a single device, but would like to put them in between the receiver and the TV, to allow more inputs to be used, and to avoid having to switch inputs on the headphones.

The Yamahas seem to do pass-through, but not of 7.1, just stereo. I posted here about it:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1449248/hdmi-standby-passthrough#post_24110949

·
Registered
10 Posts
I may be wrong, but I think it does do the pass-through correctly, as long as the receiver is off. So theoretically you can put it in between the receiver and the TV (at least on the 2030, or others with "Standy Pass mode," and it will work if you turn off the receiver.

·
Registered
10 Posts
To follow up, I now have the A2030, and it works great with my Sony Headphones. With standby through enabled, the audio makes it to my headphones as long as the receiver is in standby (off). I can even change the input while it is in standby via the remote.

It works perfectly!

No more changing HDMI cables to switch my headphone inputs.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

so if the receiver is in standby, how is the signal getting through?

You can't watch and listen to speakers and headphones at the same time?

·
Registered
10 Posts
It's called "standby through." The signal is allowed to pass through the receiver unmolested. It acts as a dumb switch when in standby, and even responds to the remote if you change inputs. It doesn't appear to be "on" but it's still alive, just barely.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts