AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

· Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a budget of $800.00 +/- to get a receiver primarily to be used for Home Theater/Surround sound. Room is about 400 sq ft. I have four Bose speakers (yeah I know, overpriced junk) in the 4 corners and Phoenix Gold center channel, sub yet to be purchased. Mitts 65611 RP-TV and Zenith DBV 318 DVD. I am leaning toward the Yamaha RX-V1400. I am just starting to build (as cash permits) the system around the TV and realize that the receiver is the next key component. I am hoping that the knowledge base here will help prevent me from making an ill advised purchase. I can't afford to do this twice. Thanks for your help.

· Registered
154 Posts
I would personally look into the specific features that I want and give myself at least $100.00 either way. I personally own a Pioneer VSX-45tx and would reccomend to anyone that same reciever. The newer VSX-55txi does not meet your price point however and it does not have PLIIX. Check out Denon AVR-3805, Onkyo, Harmon Kardon, and Yamaha.

· Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for info. I am somewhat flexiable on price. I would like to run video through the unit also. Component inputs and up scaling to component would be important.Right?

· Registered
7,822 Posts
I don't think you're going to get upscaling in a receiver. (Besides, converting to component is not called "upscaling".)

· Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
"Component video up conversion:S-video/composite signal conversion to component video signal "

This came from the Yamaha website under features for RX V1400. I know upscaling was the wrong description (I am a rookie to this). I understand this to mean that if I have an svideo device (VCR?,DVD) hook up through s video in, that it will do something to the signal to send it back to the TV through component. ???

· Registered
1,440 Posts
Absolutely right, psalm. This is the same feature as on some Denon and other receivers. You connect al of your video sources using composite, S-Video, component cables as necessary. Then you run just one set of component cables from the receiver to the TV. No input switching on TV required. Very easy and convenient.

This feature should not be confused with video upscaling when a signal let's say in 480P (480 lines, progressive) is scaled to HDTV, let's say 720P (720 lines, progressive).

· Registered
7,822 Posts
Yes. Not sure if this improves the signal. It might just change format with the damage already done. Best to look for sources that provide component directly. Then you just worry about switching it at the receiver. OTOH if you have a bunch of S-video sources, it's a good stopgap feature.

· Registered
1,886 Posts
Psalm,

Both the 1400 and the 2805 are sound options. The 2805 is newer though, so it gives you three component video inputs (one more than the Yamaha 1400).

BTW, the only receiver that includes video upscaling as a feature is the new H/K 7300.

Good luck!

· Registered
3,074 Posts
not so sure about the subject about the best

i believe the best has not been produced yet as new models still coming out from different manufacturers in a fast pace.

just like computers the best of yesterday is already obsolete

· Registered
12,092 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by TauRus
Absolutely right, psalm. This is the same feature as on some Denon and other receivers. You connect al of your video sources using composite, S-Video, component cables as necessary. Then you run just one set of component cables from the receiver to the TV. No input switching on TV required. Very easy and convenient.

This feature should not be confused with video upscaling when a signal let's say in 480P (480 lines, progressive) is scaled to HDTV, let's say 720P (720 lines, progressive).
How does this connectivity business work if you want to use a DVI or HDMI connection from a set-top box or DVD to the TV. You don't want to run that through the receiver, do you?

· Registered
159 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by millerwill
How does this connectivity business work if you want to use a DVI or HDMI connection from a set-top box or DVD to the TV. You don't want to run that through the receiver, do you?
Correct. Those are the exceptions. This is meant to be handy for older equipment. Plus, it can allow you to see setup on-screen menus on your component TV even though the menus are generated by a device with a "lesser" output.

-H.

· Registered
21,221 Posts
Quote:

quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Originally posted by millerwill

Originally posted by hstewart

Correct. Those are the exceptions. This is meant to be handy for older equipment. Plus, it can allow you to see setup on-screen menus on your component TV even though the menus are generated by a device with a "lesser" output.

-H.
When I got my Yamaha Rx V-2400 I connected it between my HD cable box (a Scientific Atlanta 3250HD) and my HDTV (a 50" RCA DLP) via component cables. It worked with one important exception: the pictures on all HD channels were no longer HD, they were just SD. Not being able to see on-screen information generated by the 2400 was not the end of the world but it would have been nice to have been able to both see the 2400's on-screen display and watch HDTV. Should this have come as a surprise to me?

· Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
It seems that that Yamaha RX-V1400 offers two additional front speaker outputs(presence speakers) than the Denon 2805.?? Is that correct and does it matter? Can I grow up to be an audiophile with out them?

· Registered
7,822 Posts
>> Can I grow up to be an audiophile with out them?

Not only yeah, but Hell Yeah!

· Registered
57 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by gwsat
When I got my Yamaha Rx V-2400 I connected it between my HD cable box (a Scientific Atlanta 3250HD) and my HDTV (a 50" RCA DLP) via component cables. It worked with one important exception: the pictures on all HD channels were no longer HD, they were just SD. Not being able to see on-screen information generated by the 2400 was not the end of the world but it would have been nice to have been able to both see the 2400's on-screen display and watch HDTV. Should this have come as a surprise to me?
Hmm... You are saying that your Yamaha RXV-2400 down converts HD to SD? If so, it does no such thing.

http://www.yamaha.com/yec/products/c...eceiver_19.htm

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.