AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an odd request. I'm looking for a new receiver to hook up my OPPO BDP-83, Pioneer 5020, and cable box to. I am deaf in one ear, so surround sound receivers and setups are useless to me, and in fact sound worse than stereo with the speakers in front of me. My old receiver recently died and I am looking for a good stereo receiver ($1000 or less) that will work well with the above mentioned equipment. My main desire is for it to produce good stereo sound when working with my OPPO as I watch a lot of BD. Thanks!

·
Registered
3,637 Posts
Don't rule out 7.1 AVRs. Since they are mass produced you can get a lot more for your money, even if you don't use all of its features. The competition for consumer dollars is huge in surround receivers. One benefit is the large power reserves you would have available. My Onkyo 805 puts out 168w/channel in stereo.

You can also still use the room correction, volume leveling (kills commercial volume spikes), and low level listening improvements that Audyssey and others provide. You would also have HDMI connections to simplify your hook ups (buy HDMI cables from Monoprice).

Stereo Receivers haven't changed a whole heck of a lot and are expensive for what you get. Many don't have a lot of digital connections which is what you are really looking for (at least it seems).

·
Registered
18,923 Posts
I agree. Stereo only receivers cost more than AVRs because they make less of them (my guess.)

AVRs can be used with only two channels, and they provide a useful complement of features.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Since you won't ever go to 7.1, you could save a couple bucks by shopping for a good 5.1 receiver like a Denon 590 or 1610, which is certain to have stereo mode, as well all the connectivity and Audyssey MultEQ room correction.

·
Registered
1,466 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Pete /forum/post/18151196

Since you won't ever go to 7.1, you could save a couple bucks by shopping for a good 5.1 receiver like a Denon 590 or 1610, which is certain to have stereo mode, as well all the connectivity and Audyssey MultEQ room correction.

That's prob what I would do.

·
Registered
12,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks to an idea from a member on this forum, I found a different solution. I'm actually using my Pioneer 5020 to give me the stereo sound. I attached my speakers to the tv including my subwoofer. I adjusted the Sound Effect software in the tv to help enhance the quality of the sound. It actually sounds really good.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.