AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought 4 Paradigm Atoms + the CC-170 to replace my energy take 5.2 setup. Couldn't do any better due to extrenuating room size/layout constraints! Will upgrarde to Studio 20's when/if I move! :)

Looking for the most complementary receiver for the Atoms. I like a more foreward/dynamic sound and have narrowed it down to the Yamaha 1600, the Pioneer 72txv ,and the Onkyo 803 (no HK's due to lack of hdmi & QC issues).

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
I don't understand why you purchased smaller, less capable speakers, but opted for a higher-end receiver.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:
Originally Posted by wje
I don't understand why you purchased smaller, less capable speakers, but opted for a higher-end receiver.
The Atom's are much "larger" than my old Energy Take 5.2 setup, both in size and sound. My current receiver is a 4 year old Yamaha RX-V620.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Since your looking for some more advanced video switching my recommendation would be some of the higher end Integra pieces. Similar to Onkyo but with some added flexibility & features (which might only be realized in the control side of things). If the video switching being on board wasn't such a concern I'd look perhaps as NAD & add an outboard HDMI switch. Much warmer, richer sound...will cover up some of those issues you're going to have with your Atoms. The only issue that I'm wondering about regarding a receiver choice is if price is an issue. I only ask because of the use of Atoms which are of course entry-level from Paradigm. I'm not sure how much sense it makes to buy a mid to high end receiver just to get some advanced video switching for such a speaker. Yes it will sound better but it's sort of like putting a beep horn on a Mercedes.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Quote:
Originally Posted by prolynx
Since your looking for some more advanced video switching my recommendation would be some of the higher end Integra pieces. Similar to Onkyo but with some added flexibility & features (which might only be realized in the control side of things). If the video switching being on board wasn't such a concern I'd look perhaps as NAD & add an outboard HDMI switch. Much warmer, richer sound...will cover up some of those issues you're going to have with your Atoms. The only issue that I'm wondering about regarding a receiver choice is if price is an issue. I only ask because of the use of Atoms which are of course entry-level from Paradigm. I'm not sure how much sense it makes to buy a mid to high end receiver just to get some advanced video switching for such a speaker. Yes it will sound better but it's sort of like putting a beep horn on a Mercedes.
A beep horn! Come on man, you're killing me! My Atoms sound better than that!

Like I said, I would have gone with the Studio 20's if I had somewhere to put them!

As you can see from the pic, the Atoms are 10.5" heigh and I still had to drop the top shelve 1/2" to squeeze'em in!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...7/DSC00375.jpg

As for price, $1,200 is my "coughing up blood" limit! :D

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
Quote:
As for price, $1,200 is my "coughing up blood" limit!
I still think you're nuts for wanting to spend so much for a receiver to drive those Atoms - and to have HDMI switching capability. Personally, I wouldn't send any video signals through the receiver. Buy a Yamaha HTR-5860 for $350 and be done with it. :D

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
A receiver isn't going to help you because of where you have those Atoms placed.

·
Registered
2,283 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ---k---
A receiver isn't going to help you because of where you have those Atoms placed.
Agreed!!!

If you insist on keeping those little things, at least buy some proper speaker stands for the front mains and some wedging for the center channel. You want the tweeters to be at (or pointing at) ear level in your listening position.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Quote:
Originally Posted by edster922
Agreed!!!

If you insist on keeping those little things, at least buy some proper speaker stands for the front mains and some wedging for the center channel. You want the tweeters to be at (or pointing at) ear level in your listening position.
That's the whole thing, I can't put them on stands- I have no room on the left (Desk/PC) and a wall and big sub on the right! If I had the place to put them I would have gotten the Studio 20s or Swans!

Would ceiling mounting them and aiming them towards my listening position be better or does mounting take away from performance?

I can still return the Atoms if you all have any suggestions. :confused:

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Quote:
Originally Posted by wje
I still think you're nuts for wanting to spend so much for a receiver to drive those Atoms - and to have HDMI switching capability. Personally, I wouldn't send any video signals through the receiver. Buy a Yamaha HTR-5860 for $350 and be done with it. :D
So these receivers degredate the video signal?

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Hey at least he has good reason!--with the space limiations. You should see the PC gaming crowd.

"Should I buy this X-Fi platinum for $400? Is it worth the difference over the $100 X-treme music? Will this maximize my Creative Inspire T7700s?"

Which in my mind is like asking:

"Should I buy 106 octane fuel for $12/gallon? Will it be worth the difference over 91 unleaded? Will this maximize my Kia Rio?"

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Quote:
Originally Posted by WOLVERNOLE
This is not a rational issue. Rethink this, man.
Help me out then. I've been looking for a solution for 6 months. If sending video through the receiver is a bad idea (btw: my tv has one DVI input and I have two devices w/HDMI outputs) then what? Maybe the Marantz 5600, Pio 1015tx or the Yamaha 1500, all around $50.

I plan on having the new receiver for at least 3-4 years and so my logic for getting the receivers I mentioned initialy was for future "proofness" sake, in the hopes that my living situation changes in the next year(it's a 50-50 chance) and i can get better speakers. For now , this is my conundrum!

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrallite
Hey at least he has good reason!--with the space limiations. You should see the PC gaming crowd.

"Should I buy this X-Fi platinum for $400? Is it worth the difference over the $100 X-treme music? Will this maximize my Creative Inspire T7700s?"

Which in my mind is like asking:

"Should I buy 106 octane fuel for $12/gallon? Will it be worth the difference over 91 unleaded? Will this maximize my Kia Rio?"
Absolutly! Ive had the same system for 4 years. I'm not upgrading for the hell of it, I don't have the $$ for it! The amp on my old Yamaha 620 has issues->it causes my mains to hiss at higher volumes. Plus, my Energy's, while good, have their sonic "disabilities" :) .

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
Quote:
It won't help, so why bother paying for it when the money might be better spent elsewhere, I think is the point.

Quote:
btw: my tv has one DVI input and I have two devices w/HDMI outputs
Have you tried doing an actual comparison of both sources running in HDMI vs Component? I bet you'd find that with at least one , and maybe both, there is know visible differance on your tv. That being the case , the money you save not using an HDMI switching rcvr might be spent on other speakers and/or room options (treating this one, or moving to another one).

Trying to "EQ" a speaker with a receiver is a difficult road, and not the best approach.

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nasser117
Not necessarily degrade the signal. However, using multiple video cables could have that effect. If you have just one cable running from the DVD player to your set, there is less chance of this happening. Also, audio purists have a feeling that a video switching receiver will cause interference with the receiver's capability of producing great sound.

Plus, you'll save even more money as you won't need as many cables to make the connections.

·
Registered
2,283 Posts
Quote:
That's the whole thing, I can't put them on stands- I have no room on the left (Desk/PC) and a wall and big sub on the right! If I had the place to put them I would have gotten the Studio 20s or Swans!

Would ceiling mounting them and aiming them towards my listening position be better or does mounting take away from performance?

Then wall-mount your mains, tilting them towards your listening position with brackets like this:

http://www.ascendacoustics.com/pages..._series20.html

For your purposes I would not spend more than $400 on a receiver, put the bulk of your money into the front 3 speakers and subwoofer because those will make the most difference.

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
Quote:

If you insist on placing them on a shelf near the ceiling, and push them up against the wall, no speaker is going to sound great, no matter what you do. The Atoms are good speakers, and there likely isn't anything you can buy for the same $$ that would sound a lot better (maybe more suited to someone's preferance, but not a lot better).

You can attempt to wall mount them. I had Atoms wall mounted for my rears. They definetely won't sound as good as they would if they were on stands, but it is an option. Some of the mini-type speakers that are ment to be wall mounted may sound better. I don't have any experance here and am a general doubter of the mini-type speakers, but you can try it.

You got to understand, when you limit your placement options, you limit your sound quality options. Sucks, I know.

As far as a receiver, it won't improve your sound. So, buy the one that has the features you want. Most here would prefer to spend more on speakers than the receiver.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Quote:
If you insist on placing them on a shelf near the ceiling, and push them up against the wall, no speaker is going to sound great, no matter what you do. The Atoms are good speakers, and there likely isn't anything you can buy for the same $$ that would sound a lot better (maybe more suited to someone's preferance, but not a lot better.

You can attempt to wall mount them. I had Atoms wall mounted for my rears. They definetely won't sound as good as they would if they were on stands, but it is an option. Some of the mini-type speakers that are ment to be wall mounted may sound better. I don't have any experance here and am a general doubter of the mini-type speakers, but you can try it.
It's not that I insist, its that I have no choice. They wont be up against the rear wall.

The only onther speakers I considered that worked where the NHT SB-1's but couldn't find a local dealer. I certainly refuse to get mini-speakers. I need to find a way to make it work! :mad:

Quote:
As far as a receiver, it won't improve your sound. So, buy the one that has the features you want. Most here would prefer to spend more on speakers than the receiver.
Agreed. I originally had budgeted around $1000 for my front 3 but couldn't find any speakers that size (10-11 inches) that where worth it.

·
Registered
4,367 Posts
Quote:
Just bought 4 Paradigm Atoms + the CC-170 to replace my energy take 5.2 setup. Couldn't do any better due to extrenuating room size/layout constraints! Will upgrarde to Studio 20's when/if I move! :)

Looking for the most complementary receiver for the Atoms. I like a more foreward/dynamic sound and have narrowed it down to the Yamaha 1600, the Pioneer 72txv ,and the Onkyo 803 (no HK's due to lack of hdmi & QC issues).

Any suggestions?
I have 4 Atoms (mains/surrounds), the cc 170 and an SVS PB10-ISD sub. The only deficiency you need to fill in for these speakers is a decent sub. What sub do you have?

I used to have the paradigm PDR-10. Found a huge difference when I switched that out for the SVS.

As far as receiver, any decent receiver will do. I use an Onkyo TX-SR701 with my Atoms. Sounds great. But I'm sure it would sound as good with a similar class Harmon Kardon or Yamaha receiver.

As long as you don't go really down level on a receiver (like some cheap Sony), you will be fine. I don't think there is much difference between receivers in the same class (as far as the sound you hear -- just features).

So assuming those 3 receivers are the same class, I would choose the one that has the features you like best. Personally, I find Yamahas to have lousy manuals and can be harder to figure out from a user perspective. Plus, they tend to have tons of DSPs that few people need or use.

Don't know about the Pioneer. Onkyo has been great for me, for the last 3 years (had two different models).

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.