AVS Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I just bought the Energy Take Classic II 5.1 Speaker System from Future Shop in Canada.

http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/product/energy-energy-take-classic-ii-5-1-speaker-system-6-speakers-take-classic-ii/10151145.aspx

Looking for a speaker that would deliver without it being an overkill nore being over $500. Should I go with a 7.1 for future proofing or 5.1 and worry about it if I ever upgrade?

I'm considering the Onkyo TX-NR616... Any ideas?

Having Airplay is a nice addon but not a requirement. Looking for best movie and music sound possible with my speakers. Thanks!

·
Banned
16,232 Posts
Pretty much any avr will work fine with those speakers. I wouldn't consider those speakers anything but temporary....at least that's how it worked out for me. They're fine for a small room and in a small room 5.1 is just fine. In a larger room they're inadequate. Get an avr that has the features and connectivity you like at a price you like. How future proof your purchases are you really need to think about the long term...

·
Premium Member
93,175 Posts
Either the Denon 1613 from last year or it's replacement the recently released Denon E300 ... either model includes Audyssey MultEQ (which has 2x the speaker control points as the 2EQ in the 616 and it can also EQ the sub which the 616 cannot do) and Airplay. Refer to the 2012 and 2013 Denon links in my sig to see more about these two models.

·
Banned
16,232 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by theactor1977  /t/1467546/best-receiver-to-pair-with-energy-take-classic-ii-5-1-speaker-system#post_23190402

They should be ok for the size of room that I have. Any specific receivers that cone to mind?

More about your budget and long term goals. JDsmoothie's recommendation for the best room correction software feature you can get for the money is a good one (2EQ

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Premium Member
93,175 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by theactor1977  /t/1467546/best-receiver-to-pair-with-energy-take-classic-ii-5-1-speaker-system/0_100#post_23192343

Thanks guys! I'm going with the Denon 1713

http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/product/denon-denon-5-1-channel-3d-ready-network-receiver-avr-1713-avr-1713/10200091.aspx?path=ea50447ea502dd5009b0391816764156en02&SearchPageIndex=1

at $350 it's the same price as the 1613 and comes with Audyssey MultEQ XT, more feaatures and an extra 5w per channel. Appreciate all the help!

The extra 5W won't even be noticed; however, the ability to add Zone 2 speakers via a 2CH amp (see below) or old AVR is a nice feature if you decide to add speakers to a back deck, patio, office, bedroom, kitchen, etc. Also the 1713 is able to SAVE the config file to a PC so you don't have to rerun Audyssey if you have to reset the microprocessor.

http://www.amazon.com/AudioSource-AMP-100-Stereo-Power-Amplifier/dp/B00026BQJ6

Be sure to review posts #3-6 in the 2012 Denon AVR-XX13 Owner's thread. We'll see you in that thread if you have any setup/troubleshooting questions on the 1713. Also review the Audyssey 101/FAQ Guide linked in my sig to ensure you get the best setup EQ.

·
Registered
23 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by theactor1977  /t/1467546/best-receiver-to-pair-with-energy-take-classic-ii-5-1-speaker-system#post_23193907

How are those speakers working for you?

I still have not received the Pioneer speakers that I won in the AVS list your gear contest. I did get an email requesting shipping info but alas.... still no new speakers
. I will post some comments when I get them. Stay tuned.

·
Registered
23 Posts
My bad .... Guess I am still excited about winning.

As for the take 5 classics they really perform well with the Denon. You will need a sub that has a the capability of a higher crossover. The only thing you need to remember is they are a small speaker and even with all that watts per channel they won't play real loud. Other than that, they are a good pair together.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie  /t/1467546/best-receiver-to-pair-with-energy-take-classic-ii-5-1-speaker-system#post_23194526

The extra 5W won't even be noticed; however, the ability to add Zone 2 speakers via a 2CH amp (see below) or old AVR is a nice feature if you decide to add speakers to a back deck, patio, office, bedroom, kitchen, etc. Also the 1713 is able to SAVE the config file to a PC so you don't have to rerun Audyssey if you have to reset the microprocessor.

http://www.amazon.com/AudioSource-AMP-100-Stereo-Power-Amplifier/dp/B00026BQJ6

Be sure to review posts #3-6 in the 2012 Denon AVR-XX13 Owner's thread. We'll see you in that thread if you have any setup/troubleshooting questions on the 1713. Also review the Audyssey 101/FAQ Guide linked in my sig to ensure you get the best setup EQ.

Thanks. Great info. I love the setup and figured out most things on my own. They sound great together. They're pretty loud for my basement and the receiver has all the features that I need.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.