AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Onkyo TX-SR805 finally bit the bullet and I am in need of a new one.

This will go in my family room and I have a decent setup with front, rear center and sub and may or may not go with 2 more rear.


My biggest need is HDMI in and Out.

I have HD Direct TV, Blu Ray, XBox 360 and they are all HDMI.


I would love to find a good receiver for close to $500.00 but if I get a lot more receiver for $1000.00 will consider that.


I was happy with my Onkyo TX SR805 so am sure it should not be hard to beat that.


I have done some searching but seems many threads are old and possibly out of date.


I may purchase one tomorrow so looking for options.


Thanks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
878 Posts
The Pioneer SC35 is a great buy at Costco.com for 675 and the Yamaha A2000 at newegg is 900 until midnight tonight. I've had several Yamahas over the years and they have been great but the pioneer seems like a better deal if you are trying to get closer to 500.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
154 Posts
Buying the SC35 online would void the warranty as there are no authorized online sales of Pioneer Elite.


Right now I am considering a TX-NR809
I would buy an extended warranty.


Yamaha A2000


XPA5 with the Yamaha 867 as a prepro
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
502 Posts
Irrivirsible,


Costco honors all warrantees for everything they sell. Actually, I don't believe receivers fall into the 90 Day return policy. In reality, you can return the item at any time. I have never had an issue with Costco.

Based on the horror stories I am reading about the Onkyo x008 series receivers and the fact online retailers are not doing much to help (in most cases), Costco is a safer bet any day. If the same Onkyos were sold at Costco, those with issues now, would have had recourse (like a replacement of the unit with the latest model).


Dom
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,816 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irrivirsible /forum/post/20821651


Buying the SC35 online would void the warranty as there are no authorized online sales of Pioneer Elite.


Right now I am considering a TX-NR809
I would buy an extended warranty.


Yamaha A2000


XPA5 with the Yamaha 867 as a prepro

I realize that this is Pioneers policy regarding Elite products.However I purchased an Elite 79AVi online and registered it with Pioneer without any problems. If the vendor or retailer is reliable I would not hesitate to buy this or any product if the price were hard to pass up. JMO.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
619 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric102 /forum/post/20821500


The Pioneer SC35 is a great buy at Costco.com for 675 and the Yamaha A2000 at newegg is 900 until midnight tonight. I've had several Yamahas over the years and they have been great but the pioneer seems like a better deal if you are trying to get closer to 500.


Where do you see the A2000 at newegg for $900? I see it at $1399
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
818 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuzzy /forum/post/20822004


Where do you see the A2000 at newegg for $900? I see it at $1399

Me too.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,530 Posts
Hello,

The SC-35 is tough to beat. Also, Newegg has the TX-NR809 for $300 Dollars off until tomorrow. Really a great deal.

AD
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,466 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irrivirsible /forum/post/20821651


Buying the SC35 online would void the warranty as there are no authorized online sales of Pioneer Elite.


Right now I am considering a TX-NR809
I would buy an extended warranty.


Yamaha A2000


XPA5 with the Yamaha 867 as a prepro

For the $750 Costco is charging for the SC-35, you could go get a 3 year Squaretrade warranty on it for about $100 bucks and in some cases even less if you have a coupon code, which in my opinion is better than the manufacturer's warranty and a year longer. Then, at the end of the day, you got one of the best receivers around for $850ish with a 3 year warranty.


Not to mention what many have pointed out, regarding how liberal Costco is with their return policy.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,674 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irrivirsible /forum/post/0


I completely overlooked the Squaretrade warranty that I am aware of. Also if Costco lets you return it at any time that is better yet.

I would never purchase warranty for Costco items. Their return policy is the best.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,466 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bommai /forum/post/20822060


I would never purchase warranty for Costco items. Their return policy is the best.

I agree. But, I'm still a little leery of trying to return an $750 dollar receiver a year or more down the line, no matter how nice about returns they are. They could also change their policy at any time, who knows? I just figure, for the awesome price you're already getting on the receiver, plus maybe $70-$100 dollars for the extended warranty, it would be worth it, for me anyway.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
900 Posts
I mean all you have to do is buy a squaretrade warranty if you buy the SC35 online. I just received a lemon onkyo 809 from amazon and I'm sending it back for a refund. picking up the sc35 with a squaretrade warranty now!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
534 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric102 /forum/post/20821500


The Pioneer SC35 is a great buy at Costco.com for 675 and the Yamaha A2000 at newegg is 900 until midnight tonight. I've had several Yamahas over the years and they have been great but the pioneer seems like a better deal if you are trying to get closer to 500.

where did you see 675
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
534 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrEastSide /forum/post/20822068


I agree. But, I'm still a little leery of trying to return an $750 dollar receiver a year or more down the line, no matter how nice about returns they are. They could also change their policy at any time, who knows? I just figure, for the awesome price you're already getting on the receiver, plus maybe $70-$100 dollars for the extended warranty, it would be worth it, for me anyway.

assuming you're not one of those return abusers (I'd assume you're not) costco will treat you well, and they have yet to prove me wrong. If you feel better paying for square trade, then do so, but IMO its unnecessary in the case of costco.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
652 Posts
Nice choices available to you at this time.


Even though I generally have a high opinion of the mid to mid upper Yamahas (I've thought very highly of my 3), I'd have to agree with posters above about the Costco Pioneer elite 35 for 750, oops make that $649 right now!!
Very very capable audio. The Marvell video set is nothing to sneeze at either. My 3yr old Pio BD player uses the QDEO from Marvell and it does flat fantastic things to 480i disks (DVD's) when upscaling. Approaches BD picture quality on my 65" display. The sound from the elite 35 has very good reviews from owners, not surprising as Pioneer is all about sound nowadays.


Costco will back the products. I do not see explicitly stated the warranty on the product pages, but Costco has NEVER let me down. They took in a two year old buffer-polisher that shredded its poly-pad. Just accepted my statement that "it broke". Refund immediate.


I too, am a Yamaha fan and wish I had the rx-v 867 or even more the rx-a2000. For a price midway between the two, that elite SC-35 is smokin. Pioneer is still showing MSRP on that unit as $1600. !!!! Gad's, I wish I could talk the boss into this...


regards

Mkard

p.s. Scratch the 649 price. Gone now when I refreshed the site. Shrug.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,466 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jterp7 /forum/post/20822163


assuming you're not one of those return abusers (I'd assume you're not) costco will treat you well, and they have yet to prove me wrong. If you feel better paying for square trade, then do so, but IMO its unnecessary in the case of costco.

No, I don't abuse return policies ever. I just feel like if it were to break in a couple years, they might not just automatically be willing to take back an old-ass, $750 dollar receiver that easily, even though I know they're very nice about returns.
 
1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top