AVS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the best receiver for around 1000.00 for upscaling to 1080p. Looking at storing all my dvd's and bluerays on a a harddrives and want this feature.

Also will upscaling improve my pic qaulity from directv

·
Registered
18,923 Posts
I have owned two receivers with deinterlacing/upscaling and neither helped improve my video signal.

So I find it hard to recommend to anyone to go spend money on such a thing.

Deinterlacing is the more important, IMO, than scaling, but my Yamaha RX-V3900's deinterlacer, which does well on benchmarks, does not make a difference when watching 480i content.

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
In general, displays do a better job of upscaling a signal than receivers. However, some receivers using Anchor Bay and Reon chips do a nice job of it. I believe the newer Denon receivers 1910/790 and up use Anchor Bay and some of the Onkyo receivers use Reon chips like the old 805.

·
Registered
18,923 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnatalli /forum/post/16972644

In general, displays do a better job of upscaling a signal than receivers.

People state that weekly, but where does this info come from? Did anyone ever do enough tests to know this?

·
Registered
18,923 Posts
Some Yamaha receiver use the same ABT chip the Edge uses and it does very well on the HQV benchmark disc I have.

But that does not translate into better quality processing of 480i video.

I have not owned a receiver with the Reon or Realta to test them out.

That's the problem with benchmarks though. The thing could pass the benchmark perfectly, and I think one of their processors does, and not noticeably improve real world video, IMO.

I am not the authority on VPs here, but I am not alone in thinking AVR VP is not as helpful as it might seem on first glance.

·
Registered
1,427 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelJHuman /forum/post/16973339

Some Yamaha receiver use the same ABT chip the Edge uses and it does very well on the HQV benchmark disc I have.

But that does not translate into better quality processing of 480i video.

I have not owned a receiver with the Reon or Realta to test them out.

That's the problem with benchmarks though. The thing could pass the benchmark perfectly, and I think one of their processors does, and not noticeably improve real world video, IMO.

I am not the authority on VPs here, but I am not alone in thinking AVR VP is not as helpful as it might seem on first glance.

I'd say that's a reasonable opinion.

In my case, I have an Onkyo 607, a 905, and an 875. For a brief period earlier this year, I ended up using the 607 in the room where my 875 had been -- a room which had a 42-inch 1080p Westinghouse LCD. I wasn't expecting much of a difference, but it was remarkable/depressing to see the difference between the Westy's built-in scaler and the Reon. The 875 made SD content much less painful to watch -- that being said, SDTV is painful to watch whether you use a Reon, a Faroudja, or the greatest scaler/deinterlacer in the history of humanity. But let's just say that the 875 and 905 that I have make the image much less nauseating.

If that counts as an endorsement of the Reon, so be it. But it's really lipstick on a pig no matter how you cut it...

·
Registered
18,923 Posts
A little personal anecdote. One of the reasons I was interested in the Yamaha RX-V3900 was because it was using what should be a good VP chip. One of my passtimes is watching F1 racing. Which was on SD Speed TV only. The quality was so bad, especially motion scenes. I thought it was bad deinterlacing as that is what it looked like along with stuff that looked like digital artifacts.

Well, sadly the 3900 did nothing to improve Speed TV. Thankfully, Speed TV is now avail. in HD.

·
Banned
574 Posts
I think if you own an older tv or perhaps a lessor known brand of tv, then maybe the scaler would be more advantageous. I havn't noticed much difference between my 4310 scaler and what my Sony SXRD was doing.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I was doing some testing with my 3 year old 720p Panasonic Plasma which probably introduces it's own set of issues, but the picture definitely looked better when I let the TV do the scaling versus having my Denon AVR-4310 with the ABT-2010 do it.

Moral of the story, test it yourself to determine the optimal settings.

-AndyW

·
Registered
7 Posts
I am considering purchasing the TX-SR707 to replace my TX-SR576. I am particularly interested in the upscaling feature from S-Video to 1080p. Could anyone tell me the quality of upscaling?

I know TX-SR607 does not support S-Video - and not a direct comparison - but I have read the upscaling for component on it is awful. I presume this would be the case for the TX-SR707 and TX-NR807 since they use the same technology - or am I wrong in this thinking?

Ted.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts