AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new to the DVD forum so I'm looking for some advice here. I need an all region player that upcoverts and I'd like something that is reliable. Based on my research here it appears that my choices are the Momitsu 880 and the Zenith 318/LG7832. It seems that with the Zenith its a bit of a crapshoot trying to get a pre July 2004 model that upconverts over component. Since I'm in Canada and will probably get the LG, is there the same date issue with the LG? Also, how difficult is it to hack to make it region free?

Then there's the Momitsu, I don't think any hack is required, but I'm not sure about its reliability.

The third issue is then PQ and SQ. Is there one with a clear advantage? I'd be more comfortable going with a more established brand like the Panny 97 or the Denon 1910 but they are not Region free (as far as I know).

Also, I'm planning to buy the Panny Ae700 projector. If anyone knows which of these players works better with the AE700 please let me know.

My apologies if this question has been posed before. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
26,432 Posts
My response is not a flame:

I can't speak for the membership, but my guess as to why no one has responded to this thread is that members have already stated their opinions in previous threads.

I don't know if you've used the search feature in both current and archived threads, but it should provide the answers you are looking for.

Best of luck

Ron

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Ron: I have searched but haven't found the answers to my specific questions. I was hoping one of the DVD experts in this forum could point me in the right direction since I want to buy a player soon.

I'm currently leaning towards the Zenith/LG but am concerned at how difficult it is to "hack" and make region free as some of the terminology in the thread is foreign to me.

·
Registered
322 Posts
If you want to use components, go with the LG as it is very simple to make region-free. I own it, piece of cake, look at the first post in the FAQ thread (sticky one at the top of the DVD forum).

If you want to use DVI, the LG isn't the only king though, there's some more. Look at the Upconverting DVD Players Options-Impressions

·
Registered
783 Posts
Go with the Momitsu, but get the new V880 Deluxe version; supposedly it is much improved for component output. Current V880s have been pretty reliable, so I don't think that is a big issue any more. One remaining issue with both the V880 standard and Deluxe, is a remote conflict with some Pioneer equipment.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Digital FP, 720p native. You want to feed it a nice 720p digital input.

In the price range you seem to be shopping, the Momitsu is a great choice.

I'd be all over that classified.

caveat: Momitsu doesn't play nice with Pioneer remotes. (if you own any Pio equipment)

·
Registered
29,348 Posts
Another option (especially if you need upconverting over component) is the Skyworth HVD-3050 .

·
Banned
45 Posts
Do a google search on International Electronics, I know the URL but it would be best in you seen it from a search engine. These people hardwire a progessive scan and chip it for PAL stretch, there is something else you'll see as it's down $100 this month on the right column, left column will be 'just' region free. I can't say much more its against the AVS TOS to talk about it.

·
Registered
301 Posts
another vote for the LG/Zenith. very easily hacked to region free and its PAL to NTSC conversion is excellent. i used to have a jvc all region that used to have jitters when doing its PAL-NTSC conversion

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.