AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for a good customizable remote that won't break the bank. I know everyone raves about the Pronto. Is there another remote that has all the functionality of the Pronto for less? Or is the Pronto basically the only serious choice? Or should I use a palm pilot or other pda with a tv remote program? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
Home Theater Master MX-500 or MX-1000 are great if you are not stuck on the idea of a touchscreen. Best source is to go to remotecentral web site for very in depth reviews of all the leading remotes.

·
Registered
17,711 Posts
Pronto is the best touchscreen remote (maybe the Marantz RC5200 it is a Pronto with more hard buttons, but you will not be able to find it at the same price as the Pronto)
http://www.marantz.com/image/products/u_rc5200_sml.gif

The MX-500 is a good remote if you like hard buttons, but I think the new MX-700 is much better. It also comes with a second "sidekick" remote but it's BIG advantage is that it is PC programmable, the 500 is not

·
Registered
212 Posts
You may want to check out http://www.remotecentral.com - I've found it to be the best resource for anything regarding remotes.

Generally speaking, the Pronto is the "best" remote - but it may not be the best for you. It certainly offers the most flexibility in a consumer-oriented remote, but you will need to invest time and effort programming it to get the most of that flexibility. It also requires you to look down at the screen before pressing a button; I don't mind this at all, but it drives some folks crazy, and they inevitably return to remotes with more hard buttons.

The PDA option makes sense from a technical perspective, but not a practical one - the infrared range is usually poor, the programming options are usually poor, and the PDA is not always on the coffee table. In other words, it's a cool geek thing to do with your PalmPilot, but not a workable substitute for a good remote control.

-avi

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
I'll cast my vote for the Home Theater Master MX-700. I'm a big fan of hard buttons. That and the fact that the software makes it very customizable was what tipped the balance in it's favor for me. I've finally been able to put all my other remotes away. You can pick one up at bluedo.com for $390. That includes the second "side kick" remote and the PC interface cable.

Ken

·
Registered
654 Posts

·
Registered
501 Posts
I have to agree. I'm not a big fan of touchscreen. If a button oriented remote is what you're looking for I also highly recommend the MX-700. With a very large database of prepgrammed devices, ease of modification and learning, great look and feel and a companion remote for the lighter user, this is a good one to look at.

Quote:
Originally posted by K_Thompson
I'll cast my vote for the Home Theater Master MX-700. I'm a big fan of hard buttons. That and the fact that the software makes it very customizable was what tipped the balance in it's favor for me. I've finally been able to put all my other remotes away. You can pick one up at bluedo.com for $390. That includes the second "side kick" remote and the PC interface cable.

Ken

·
Registered
Dedicated movie room with front projection and 7.1 surround.
223 Posts
The Philips Pronto Neo is not bad at all for $199 from Best Buy. It has a small-ish touch-screen and some hard buttons. A decent hybrid remote. Programming it was a bit less intuitive than programming a Pronto TS1000, TSU2000 or TSU6000, but still manageable.

Rob

·
Registered
366 Posts
I'll vote for a Pronto (any version). It is a thing of beauty to watch my wife operate my theater with ease after I simplified the user interface. I have not gotten any calls at work asking how to do X, Y, and Z since I got this. I got one for my parents and they can both manipulate their theater as well (they also used to cal).

·
Registered
8 Posts
Recently, I bought the Sony RM-AV3000 from Ecost.com for $130.00 including shipping. For my small system I think it is excellent. Has anybody found any disadvantage to this remote? I'm not sure what happens to the programming if the batteries get low and it is left for an extended period of time.

·
Registered
654 Posts
nddeegan: The Sony touchscreens are very good values. The only beef I had when I ran my Sony 2100 in my system was that the LCD keys only had a limited amount of lables available. I wanted a bit more customization...(Of course, I also learned that I did not like touchscreens in general. But that is a totally different issue and has nothing to do with your questions!)

There is an excellent Sony remote forum at remotecentral.com that can answer all of your Sony questions...and more!

·
Registered
654 Posts
I agree. The C7 is pretty awesome.

Unfortunately (or fortunately depending on how well you like the C7), it's been replaced by a new model (the 8811 8-in-1) that, while it retains all of the C7's capabilities, is not as ergonomically friendly. Many of the keys are identically sized. The C7 was a remote that one could use in the dark by just sense of touch. Not so with the 8811. But the 8811 helps to make up for the mass of keys by providing a backlight. But I'm sure battery life will be shorter on the 8811...

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
The Harmony Remote is kind of an interesting option. It connects to the net via a USB port and allows you to configure it very easily. You can learn more about it here.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Another vote for the Sony RM-AV 3000.

Beautiful remote, gets the job done for a very reasonable price.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Just got my pronto neo, and it has several things going for it:

touchscreen

enough hard buttons for essentials

computer programable

also, using some of the 'hack' programs you can utilize the wealth of configuration files for the regular prontos as well.

and at around 170.00 US off the net, it's a good value.

David

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.