AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought one of these from Home Theater Master. I wasn't planning on posting about it, but it's one of the few home theater "componants" that has performed above my expectations right out of the box. No, it's not a pronto, but it's also WAY cheap and has a very, very high Wife Acceptance Factor after only 10 seconds of training.

The reason I like it so much is I was able to set up "activity" macros ala a Harmony remote, but I was also able to train it for a few punch through keys that are kind of non standard for some of my older equipment.

Also, all the soft programable keys are AWESOME for controlling my PC through Girder. I just use any old random device code (from some manufacturer I will never buy) and use those for the girder controls.

Remote nirvana.

Plus it looks darn cool when you light it up at night (grin).

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
Yep, I got one too. The remote is the best and I like it better than a Pronto. The button-touch-feel in darkness is worth it.

-Robert

·
Registered
210 Posts
I have to agree... MX-700 is an excellent remote. The only remote better, IMHO, is the MX-800 w/ IR & RF! I have both units and am extremely happy with them. Doesn't hurt that the wife doesn't need a flow chart to work them either...

·
Registered
3,372 Posts
I'm a gadget freek and would love to be able to justify one of these suckers. But for the life of me I can't find anything my old $15 Cinema 6 can't do, not to mention the fact that I (and especially my wife) like the ergonomics on it over these monster machines.

I do think I'm close to finding something that would make me dump the Cinema 6. The MX-200 (sidekick to the MX-700) is almost there. Just allow some switching on the buttons and I want one.

·
Registered
2,700 Posts
can the Cinema 6 learn IR commands? My setup needs a remote to learn the IR keyboard.

·
Premium Member
13,879 Posts
I just picked up the older MX500 model. I'm hoping I'm not too disapointed in it.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I needed, really needed, three things:

Learning

Macros up to 10 steps (as in, switch 4 devices, then send some stuff to girder, then do something else)

Programable/lableable keys (I've been using a replay remote with girder, but I cant get my usbuirt to drive enough other devices. So I need a button that I can label "GUIDE" or "DVD" or "1080i" or whatever so I can drive girder events, like changing resolutions and launching programs.

If your 15 dollar remote can do all that, then I got SCREWED (grin)....

·
Registered
5,313 Posts
yeah, for my purposes, I can repurpose my DirecTV remote combined with Girder and USB-UIRT to do everything I actually need to do. I don't do all that res switching/etc that some do, so my goals are somewhat lower.

I will admit there is a slight learning curve, but my wife seems to have had no issues and actually watches [and thank god - deletes] Real World & SITC just fine without me at home.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Quote:
If your 15 dollar remote can do all that, then I got SCREWED (grin)....
My Rs 1994 remote can do all that the jp1 programing. But my remote did cost $20.00.

DRB

·
Premium Member
7,158 Posts
Actually the only better one (for hard buttons) is the MX-800 because you get RF too :) I also have girder/USB-UIRT, MediaCentre, and other apps stimulated by it.

I use my Pronto 6000 less and less with the MX-800 around. (I did have to get 6 new hobbys because the MX is so much easier to program than all the time I spent with the Pronto. Actually the pronto did the job of many remotes, but I felt like I worked for it too). :)

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
I actually think the Remote wonder paired with USB-UIRT is probably the best combo to have, until the remote wonder 2.

edit-this is of course paired with girder though

·
Registered
3,372 Posts
I needed, really needed, three things:

Learning

Check

Macros up to 10 steps (as in, switch 4 devices, then send some stuff to girder, then do something else)

Check

Programable/lableable keys (I've been using a replay remote with girder, but I cant get my usbuirt to drive enough other devices. So I need a button that I can label "GUIDE" or "DVD" or "1080i" or whatever so I can drive girder events, like changing resolutions and launching programs.

You can get the button to do just about anything you like, but it doesn't have an LCD screen that allows you to put a text table on a key. I guess you could do that with a pencil or one of those lable makers though.

To be clear, I never said it does everything the fancy guys do. It just does everything *I* need it to do. And to be honest, it was only $15 'caus I got it used. I believe the list price was $20-something.

·
Registered
777 Posts
I'm a reformed Pronto 6000 user.

I've always liked the MX series remotes, but I've slimmed everything down to 1 little all-hard button remote connceted to Girder. Girder will enable & disable over a dozen groups depending upon the context of what's being controlled at the time, and will output (if needed) the correct IR via a slink-e.

My wife loves it, because there are buttons to press to change the mode, etc... Took me about the same amount of time (2 weeks on and off) to program as my pronto ccf files.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
my only problem with the girder/usbuirt solution was getting the IR OUT to all the different devices. KEY WAF for me was being able to:

Press one button and turn EVERYTHING on or off.

Press one button and switch all the bits to the HTPC and launch the PVR app

Press one button and switch all the bits to HD direct from the cable box

Have the "guide" button always be the main guide menu whether your in HD or HTPC or watching a DVD

etc. etc. etc. -

All this is theoretically possible with a 10 dollar remote and girder - if I found one with all the right buttons. The problem is that with my setup I simply cant get the USBUIRT either in a position where all the devices get the output reliably, and I dont' have a 4 way mousetail for it (nor do I want one draped all over everything, including the prominant front center location of my TV.

Im POSITIVE I could do it all with girder - i had all the programming done. Its just not enough WAF and not enough flexibility for me.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
> > I needed, really needed, three things:

> > Learning

>

> Check

I could be wrong, but Cinema 6 does not "learn". You can type in the brand code, but I don't think it can record and play back the signal from another remote control.

It does have up to 15 key sequence marcos.

Hong.

·
Registered
777 Posts
Well,

You could connect the ouput of the USB-UIRT (the mini phone-plug cable in the back) to a Xantech connection box (like these: http://www.smarthome.com/8191A.html ).

The nice thing about using the slink-e for in & out is with the Slink-e, I have the accessory option that gives me 8 independant addressable IR ports which the Girder plugin is compatable with

(here: http://www.smarthome.com/8191A.html ). Came in handy when you have a couple of identical DVD jukeboxes & only want to talk to one.

What's nice is once Girder is at the center, you can do a lot of automation. Not only does one button turn everything off, but it will reconfigure the power of everything based upon what I am using at the time (no need to keep the DVHS & Jukeboxes powered up if I'm watching a movie from my hard drive). When I press the pause button it will check my homeseer variables for the ambient light. If the lights are off, it will turn them up 1/10th of their max and put up my mainlobby "pause screen" irrespective of what piece of hardware or software I was using at the time.

Granted, my solution isn't for the faint of heart, and frankly the girder logic is now so complex it would take me at least an hour to remember how it all works before I could make any changes

·
Registered
4,484 Posts
I love my MX-700 also, had it for over a year and it gets better and better. Especially when it learns so well and I do not even need girder to do what I need it to do, just the airboard receiver.

Jim

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
That's a neat little box. Doesn't solve my very last requirement though.

All the way on the other side of the room, about 30 feet away, is the air conditioning control unit for the house.

It takes IR (grin). Pretty cool when you can have volume controlling fan, and channel controlling the thermostat....

·
Registered
5,313 Posts
Hmmm - mx-800 with RF....

Question for y'all on your setups: The thing that made me think twice about these was that I'd have to code one of those top buttons for HTPC, one for TV, etc. Hence if wife was going to press the info button, she'd have to make sure she had the correct top-button enabled.

Can you get around this, or is this just something wife needs to learn [if you're pressing the info button whilst using SageTV, make sure the HTPC button was pressed]

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.