AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If I were to buy a DVR for Replay TV....what , in your opinion, is the best on the market?

I want extreme capacity, upgradeability, networking (wireless)....and forward compatibility as well as backwards. (sharing...etc)

seems to me, that Microsoft is trying to connect the world with the Xbox, wouldn't it make more sense to have the ReplayTV to also have multiplayer game capabilities....(maybe strike a deal with other game box vendors to make their games compatible with Replay unit ) considering the direction they are going with sharing files....etc

·
Registered
116 Posts
um, well... I hate to break it to you - but no PVR on the market has those things. They are all proprietary, and you are pretty much at the mercy of the manufacturer. If you want all that I'm afraid you'll have to traverse the slippery slope of the "entertainment PC" - i.e. a pc that sits next to your TV; but be prepared to spend much more than a PVR would cost, and also, be prepared to tinker, hack, replace, swear, spend some more, upgrade, tinker some more, swear a bit more, reinstall some drivers, change operating systems, swear again, upgrade the sound card, install more RAM, swear at Bill Gates, install Linux, tinker some more, wait for new drivers, pray a bit...

I'm pretty sure that there are no interesting (modern) games that would run well on the little processor that is inside these RTVs... I suppose pong maybe, or tetris :) . The xbox has a better chance at becoming a PVR than the RTV has of becoming a (serious) game machine.

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
It is already a serious game machine! C'mon, the hidden "Tic-Tac-Toe" game on the 3060 puts it in that realm, doesn't it? ;0)

·
Registered
58 Posts
I prefer snake, but I'm a little biased. ;)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.