AVS Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Browsed every forum catagory before settling on this one. Mods, I hope this is the best place my question! (Please move this thread if not.)

I'm archiving HD OTA recordings by converting them to SD DVD. This means resizing the video from 1920x1080 (or 1280x720) to 720x480. I use a Avisynth in tandem with VirtualDub for post-processing digital video.

My question is pretty academic: which is the best resizing method for scaling from HD to SD? Bicubic (or Precise Bicubic)? Bilinear (or Precise Bilinear)? Lanczos3? Lanczos4? I've tried all of them, and they all produce decent output, so I figured someone here must have a more educated rationale as to what is the best method, from a theoretical standpoint.

I'm curious, and yes, I have searched... so let the discussion begin. And as always, thanks to this great online community!

·
Registered
7,818 Posts
Back in the day (converting dvds for playback on a pocket pc) with Vdubmod, I would use bilinear. Although this was for 1) speed, as encoding with the pathetic PC I had at the time took all night 2) The very slight softness actually helped with compression while minimizing ringing and blocking as SD cards were very expensive.

In any event, I would say that the encoder used, or any filters used would have a much more influential affect than any specific downsize method.

Another place to check out, if you haven't already, would be the forums at doom9.org

-Suntan

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.