AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone suggest what the best ripping/encoding program for FLAC files might be? I'm planning to put my entire (400 CD) music collection into this lossless compression format.

Thanks.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Are you using an AudioRequest unit? I ask because they are supposed to support FLAC in thier next upgrade. I was told to encode to a wav file and when the next release from AR was out they would also include a FLAC compression software to compress your existing files.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by globefood
Are you using an AudioRequest unit? I ask because they are supposed to support FLAC in thier next upgrade. I was told to encode to a wav file and when the next release from AR was out they would also include a FLAC compression software to compress your existing files.
Yes, I'm planning to use and audiorequest fusion unit, and I've been told that by the time I get the unit (early Jan) it will be FLAC-enabled.

I suppose I could go to WAV and then recode into FLAC, but I guess it'd be simpler to go directly there. I have found a couple of FLAC encoders online, just wondering what people think are the best ones out there.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I just got off the phone with audiorequest. They did confirm that we should encode to wav and then compress to FLAC.

What did you find that encodes directly to FLAC?

I am currently encoding wav files to my fusion unit, both with the local drive (about ten minutes per disk) and on an AudioRequest ripstation (about 2-3 minutes per disk using music match.)

·
Registered
82 Posts
I am happy to hear that the Audio Request will also FLAC encode existing songs - that was a question that was on my mind. Another question I have is will they decode on the fly when transferring the songs to a PC. That would be an important feature for me, because of how I transfer the songs to the PC, and then load them onto my Apple iPod. Currently everything I have on the Audio Request is in .wav format.

Al Vorne

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by globefood
I just got off the phone with audiorequest. They did confirm that we should encode to wav and then compress to FLAC.

What did you find that encodes directly to FLAC?

I am currently encoding wav files to my fusion unit, both with the local drive (about ten minutes per disk) and on an AudioRequest ripstation (about 2-3 minutes per disk using music match.)
Well, there are links to some FLAC encoders off the main FLAC site here: http://flac.sourceforge.net/

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.