AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Suggest the speakers you think sound best for rock. I have been digging through speakers and can't seem to find a pair that makes rock/hard rock sound really good. I've listened to Paradigm, Klipsch, B&W, Magnepan, Revel.

They all sound good but "didn't rock."

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
 http://www.rbhsound.com/product_detail.php?id=R8

EDIT: Damn it, beat by a minute!

Seriously though, there's no such thing as a rock speaker. A speaker's job is to reproduce a sound. something like a revel will accurately reproduce exactly what was recorded. if it's rock music, then it should sound like rock music. If it's not right to your ears, it's because you like boom and sizzle colorations... just get a parametric EQ and turn bass and treble up, the goal of Hi Fi is to give you exactly what the performers want, not to give you what you want. It really sounds like what you're disliking isn't the speakers, but th actual character of the music itself.

BTW, is your room acoustically treated?

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
Or some used LaScalas with a sub..... (might be pushing the budget to get all 3 at once unless you're patient/lucky)

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Eternal Velocity, I understand what you are saying. Even in the world of neutral, flat response speakers which present the music as the artist had intended for it to be heard there are differences in character. I guess this is due to differences in engineering and materials used. After all these speaker things are man made.

Some like a warmer sound, some like an aluminum tweeter, some a silk tweeter. Some like forward bass, some don't need it. Some demand razor sharp imaging.

I demand a good rock speaker!

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
Keep listening and don't forget about ID brands like Axiom, Aperion, Ascend, etc.

·
Registered
2,654 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelkingdom /forum/post/19364430

. I've listened to Paradigm, Klipsch, B&W, Magnepan, Revel.

Which 'digms? Paradigm Studio series is one of the first speakers that comes to mind for rock, PSB and MA too.

Ron

·
Registered
4,866 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelkingdom /forum/post/19364430

Suggest the speakers you think sound best for rock. I have been digging through speakers and can't seem to find a pair that makes rock/hard rock sound really good. I've listened to Paradigm, Klipsch, B&W, Magnepan, Revel.

I had paradigm studio 60's and NIN sounded like crap, went to JTR's and it was a game changing experience. Look into pro audio type designs.

·
Registered
11,131 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by goonstopher /forum/post/19365663

I had paradigm studio 60's and NIN sounded like crap...

That whole, one band huh? Then by all means, move on to the next pair; after all, I would say most gear should be judged by how NIN sounds on it.

CD

·
Registered
4,866 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDLehner /forum/post/19366084

That whole, one band huh? Then by all means, move on to the next pair; after all, I would say most gear should be judged by how NIN sounds on it.

CD

Um no... he said rock so I used an example he might understand.

Trust me the paradigms look like blown bose speakers compared to the JTR's which have a bigger sounds stage, zero sibilance or brightness, MUCH greater detail, are more effortless, more dynamic, have better imaging ect ect ect. There is no comparison in any area... that band was just directed at the OP and the difference with hard music isn't small, it is like when you boaught your first HT speakers after listening to your TV speakers or cheap computer speakers. The differences are big in all areas but with loud, dynamic,live hard rock the difference is breathtaking.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
goonstopher, NIN is exactly what I was looking for. BTW, I asked about rock speakers not because that is all I listen to but because I do like rock and I have the budget for more than 1 pair of speakers! I don't need 1 set that is so neutral that everything sounds pretty good. I want 2-3 pairs which specialize in certain genres.

My PSB's are amazing for Diana Krall and other songstresses. My Magnepans are great for acoustic jazz. The system in my car (Image Dynamics, Infinity, JBL, JL) is great for making my hair stand on end and setting off car alarms. So shoot me if I want a pair of speakers that do rock in an unforgettable manner!

If I put on Twisted Sister, I don't want to marvel at my speakers flat response; I want to feel like throwing a chair through the window and eating raw meat!!

·
Registered
4,866 Posts
Well used JTR's or wait for their single 8 to come out.

JBL MRX515 are suppose to be very good, Chase Home theater pro-10 or sho-10.

High sensitivity, high power handling and large sound stage (constant directivity) are the key things to look for. Personally I love JTR's because most other high efficiency speakers have some trade off in sound, jtr's well its just tradeoff in price.

If you were near enough to me I would glady blow your socks off with NIN besides you in time over my speakers.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Find some JBL 4312A's or 4311B's they'll rock!!!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts