Registered
9,578 Posts
It is hard for me to answer this poll because I have some of each

equipment and the quality and reliability has changed over time

for the brands. The old linksys and netgear were excellent, however

the newer ones seem to have more problems. I've considered that

the older ones had the same problems when they first came out and

over time firmware fixed everything, but IMO the new linksys and

netgear have been worse out the gate and down the line.

Belkin can't be beat on price but they switch OEMs all the time so

some product lines are good and others are crap. They also got

a bad name for using their router to redirect your browser to some

advertising every once in a while (if you didn't turn off one of the

options during install)

I saw your other post about netgear MR814 not working for you

and I'm confident that is a configuration problem because many

other people have IVS working with that router. However since

you have a linksys now that works, perhaps you just want to

stick with it.

·
Registered
240 Posts
I have been a longtime Linksys user and never experienced problems using the BEFSR41 and later the WRT54G routers themselves. But I wanted to use wireless G for two of my replays and could not get that to work using the Linksys WET54G. I know others had success with a pair of WAP54Gs but that seemed unnecessarily redundant in my case since I had already invested in the WRT54G wireless router.

I really wanted to try the new "turbo" wireless speeds being offered by Netgear, DLink, or USR, but so far Netgear and DLink are not offering a "turbo" version in a wireless bridge. USR does but it is excessively high at ~$250.

So, I decided to ditch my Linksys WRT54G, WET11, and two Siemens powerline adaptors and replaced them with 3 Buffalo WBR-G54 routers. Been using them for about a week and am pleased so far. Setup went pretty smooth. Aesthetically, I don't like the looks of the Buffalo compared to others, I wish it was laying flat and had all status lights on the front. The web setup interface is not as polished as the Linksys, but is offers all the features and gets the job done.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
I wasn't a Linksys fan, except it is what I'm currently using. Because a powersurge fried my previous [wireless] router (and a few other things)...and the Linksys was the cheapest one that Best Buy had available (it was even an open box one).

However, my old router didn't do local loopback, which the Linksys does. And, as long as it is working...there is no urgency to replace it.

Would like to find something that does QoS with Vonage, but options are limited...and the easy solution is unplug the wire to my ReplayTVs when it is affecting my phone calls.

The Dreamer.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I tried everything as I know and what others told me to do with my Netgear and I just could not get it to work.

I went to Staples paid $69 for a 2.4 GHZ Linksys and in about 15 min I was sharing. One other thing happen as well, my network was allot faster.

Looks like from the Poll that it is best choice as well so far!

·
Registered
65 Posts
I was able to download an hour show with my old Linksys but upgraded to a Netgear wgr614 V.2 and can't get IVS to work to save my life. SPI? Who knows.

·
Registered
111 Posts
D-link gets my vote. I have the DI-704P, never had to do anything special for the RTV to connect (and never had IP issues), easy to setup port forwarding for IVS --- and it features loopback, so when I send a show between my two replays - it stays on my local network.

Bob

·
Registered
8,140 Posts
D-link get's my vote too. 614+ works great with in house IVS (loopback support) and DHCP static IPs to MAC addresses.

The linksys routers aren't bad either.

But, I'd stay away from netgear if you have any desire to ever use anything that does require loopback.

·
Registered
253 Posts
I love my Netgear 814 and 614 Routers, before those I had older Netgear routers/switches but they died.

These new models have more cache, better looks and newer software with more features/options.

When I am in the market for more network equiptment or when it's time to replace mine, I will look at Netgear first.

·
Registered
8,140 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by j.freiman
When I am in the market for more network equiptment or when it's time to replace mine, I will look at Netgear first.
I just hope you never have a need for loopback support. =(

·
Registered
412 Posts
best router - cisco ... oh wait ... home use ... hmmm .. linksys , hehe i just relized , cisco ownes linksys , that means they will stick to standards ( unlike some companies like M$ who decide to invent their own ) , up to date firmware , and the knowlage that if you ever needed to set up a vpn or somthing between home and work that you wont run into problems .... as long as replay sticks to the standards you should never have any problems ... well in theory at least ...

not to mention a simple 4 port switch/firewall(with NAT and port forwarding)/dhcp/router is fairly cheap ( about $60 )

·
Registered
582 Posts
It looks like Other is the clear winner.

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by whirly
It looks like Other is the clear winner.
Hmmm, I gotta check out my local BB for a router made by OTHER.

·
Registered
2,670 Posts
I still use my original Netgear RT-314 router, but it's been "modified" to think it's a Zyxel Prestige 314, with 2.50 firmware to enable loopback. I haven't had any problems beyond needing to cycle the power every few months.

I can't speak for the newer ones other than to say I've seen less than favorable reviews. When I put a wireless access point in the house, it will likely be with the D-Link DI-624.

Tim

·
Registered
582 Posts
I've had 3 D-Link routers - DI-713, DI-713P and DI624. All worked just fine with the RTV until they didn't. The DI-713 lasted 20 months which I replaced with a DI-713P which lasted 16 months. The DI624 will be the last D-Link I buy since they won't fix the 713P even if I pay for it.

I love the user interface and features but the reliability sucks. I do expect electronics to last more than 24 months.

·
Registered
3,901 Posts
I'm in with D-Link, 614+. No probs at all.

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by j.freiman
I love my Netgear 814 and 614 Routers, before those I had older Netgear routers/switches but they died.

These new models have more cache, better looks and newer software with more features/options.

You must be kidding... my 814v2 : 1, cant keep time, 2, cant restore blocked services on schedule, 3, does not always implement scheduled port blocking -at all- or site blocking for that matter, 4 has the range of PERHAPS 30 ft.... and netgear has been NO help. NONE what so ever...

Arrrgh... I'll use ANYTHING but netgear. Infact, I'm buying a belkin this week JUST BECAUSE THE NETGEAR bites donkey a$$.

John

·
Registered
253 Posts
BigJohns,

That my 814 is version 1.1 and works fine. I really have no need for loop-back support and for me, that's the only downfall.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.