AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've seen many models. And yet From my eyes I hold the Sony SXRD (KDS-R60XBR2)as the best unit. The Samsung HL-S5087W seemed blurred, but others have said its better than sony? Yeah thats what I said. Any comments..

·
Registered
16,177 Posts
IMO, the Sony and the Samsung are the best, but other major brands (JVC for LCOS; Mits and Tosh for DLP) are also excellent. It just comes down to personal preference. If the Samsung looked blurred, it was a bad setup (some find DLP is too sharp, not too blurred). Make sure to look at them in different stores.

·
Registered
12 Posts
home theater mag just reviewd six hdtv sets and placed them in this order

1st samsung hl-s6188

2nd jvc hd-61fn97

3rd toshiba 62mx 196 but does not accept native1080p on any input

4th sony kds r60xbr2

5th mits wd-65731

last olevia 565h

·
Registered
245 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pingman /forum/post/0

1st samsung hl-s6188

2nd jvc hd-61fn97

4th sony kds r60xbr2

5th mits wd-65731

last olevia 565h

Yea, I've seen this review and it raised some questions... They found

two serious faults with the Olevia 565H TV, which I am not sure I

understand.

First, black level was fairly high and in the low IRE range it was tainted

blue. But, look closely at the 'before and after' calibration graphs. Before

calibration, the display was decidedly warm, with color temperature

averaging below 6000° K, but with a nice and smooth curve. The

calibration corrected the color temperature, raising it to about

6500° K (where it should be), but now there is a huge jump to over

7200° K, at 20 IRE. This casues the blue tainting and probably

increases the subjective light output at low IRE levels. IOW, it looks

to me like the calibration caused the poor black level. I wonder

whether it can be calibrated correctly to decrease the black level.

This, of course, will greatly increase the contrast ratio.

Second, they found the image was 'soft'. This relates to another

interesting measurement: vertical resolution of 990 lines. It is curious

that they didn't find it necessary to further comment on why this was,

since the screen itself is 1080 lines (native resolution). I don't know

enough about LCOS technology to comment, but one possibility is

that the scaler in that particular set was bad. Trying to superimpose

990 lines onto a 1080 line screen will cause blurring.

Seems to me this review should be taken with a small bag of salt. I

hope one of the gurus may comment on this? I am seriously

interested in the Olevia 565H. If it weren't for these two points, I

would get one now, rather then wait till nect summer for the 765.

-- Ron

·
Registered
111 Posts
jamare: No one has mentioned yet the Brillian 6580iFB RP 1080p designed and assembled here in the US; 65 inch diagonal. I have had one for over a year; comes with ISF calibration after 200 hours of lamp life; fully adjustable in ALL TV parameters; very accurate; life-like images of faces; great convergence (1/2 pixel corner to corner); VERY low SSE; excellent service. I, of course, think it's the best. G. L. Dybwad, ABQ, NM

·
Registered
1,971 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by G. L. Dybwad /forum/post/0

jamare: No one has mentioned yet the Brillian 6580iFB RP 1080p designed and assembled here in the US; 65 inch diagonal. I have had one for over a year; comes with ISF calibration after 200 hours of lamp life; fully adjustable in ALL TV parameters; very accurate; life-like images of faces; great convergence (1/2 pixel corner to corner); VERY low SSE; excellent service. I, of course, think it's the best. G. L. Dybwad, ABQ, NM

he works for BRILLIAN

·
Registered
1,971 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pingman /forum/post/0

1st samsung hl-s6188

2nd jvc hd-61fn97

4th sony kds r60xbr2

5th mits wd-65731

last olevia 565h

if u believe home theater mag u are crazy.

the sony XBR2 is the best tv out there

·
Registered
118 Posts
domingos1965 -

Yea. Believing Home Theater Magazine is crazy.
Because, we should all believe you, that wouldn't be crazy! You have obviously had all of these sets in your lab and run controlled tests on them all! Right? Yep, I'll trust your opinion.

If you can't sense my sarcasm, then U....are crazy.

Sorry 1965, I'll trust a pannel that executes controlled tests in labs WAY before I give your personal opinion any consideration.

·
Registered
16,177 Posts
Home Theater is one person's opinion. Consumer Reports had a different ranking and represents another person's opinion. Although mag reviews/comparisons are not perfect, they are a far better way of basing a buying decision than the average post here which states "I bought this display, so it's the best." Calling a mag crazy because you don't agree with it -- well, it's better than your opinion, or my opinion, or anyone's opinion based on going to one store and judging by a poorly setup display comparison. That being said, all these displays will look great in your home -- the difference between them is actually pretty small.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cip4465 /forum/post/0

domingos1965 -

Yea. Believing Home Theater Magazine is crazy.
Because, we should all believe you, that wouldn't be crazy! You have obviously had all of these sets in your lab and run controlled tests on them all! Right? Yep, I'll trust your opinion.

If you can't sense my sarcasm, then U....are crazy.

Sorry 1965, I'll trust a pannel that executes controlled tests in labs WAY before I give your personal opinion any consideration.

It's hard to know who to trust. CNET rated the XBR2 above the JVC with the 831 Mits being highest(based on feature set, picture quality was a wash). UltimateAV( which is a linked site to Hometheatermag) rated the XBR2 the product of the year with the JVC second.

This tells me that the top of the line sets from all of the major manufacturers are all very good and it comes down to the eye of the beholder.

Personally I would trust the opinions of independent ISF calibrators the most as they have no possible financial ties with manufacturers advertising dollars.

·
Registered
16,177 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwiss /forum/post/0

Personally I would trust the opinions of independent ISF calibrators the most as they have no possible financial ties with manufacturers advertising dollars.

I agree with you -- out of all the individual opinions posted on the forum, I trust them the most.

·
Registered
118 Posts
a Sony 27" CRT display is far superior to anything being mentioned in this thread? Why do I say that? Because I own one.

Guys, some of the posts here are just out there. (oh, and in case it is mis-understood, my comment above is a joke).

Sure the Sony has the much discussed Green blob trouble. But I have looked at several (in stores and in a friends home), and I don't see it. Of course I don't know what to look for I guess....but do I want to? If I can't see it....then.....

dumping the SXRD and getting something "decent". Wow, thats a stretch! I would CERTAINLY say every TV mentioned in this thread exceeds the "decent" level!

When it comes to personal opinions, we all have them, and here is mine which means nothing to anyone but me! Comparing equivalent 70+" sets by Mitz, Sony, and Samsung in what is more than likely a bad setup environment (the only thing I have available, I certainly don't have a lab!)....I thought the Samsung had a nicer picture than the Mitz and Sony. But thats based on personal tastes, there are millions that will have different opinions...and thats great!

Now, with that opinion, there is no way I would say the Mitz or Sony were bad. In fact I would say they were WAY beyond "decent". They are awesome, I would never bash any of them!

·
Registered
245 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by G. L. Dybwad /forum/post/0

I considered the 6580iFB carefully. It had a very high noise level from the

cooling fans (upwards of 50db) and was ridiculously expensive. The one I

saw was pre calibration. Even taking this into account, , the picture was

still nothing to write home about.

-- Ron

·
Registered
111 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by domingos1965 /forum/post/0

he works for BRILLIAN

Thanks domingos1965 for posting a lie: I'm a retired physicist who worked for AT&T Bell Laboratories my whole career. There isn't a Brillian office within 300 miles - a very long commute. You should check your facts before you post next time, else you may obtain a bad reputation on the Forum. G. L. Dybwad, Albuquerque, NM

·
Registered
558 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamare /forum/post/0

I've seen many models. And yet From my eyes I hold the Sony SXRD (KDS-R60XBR2)as the best unit. The Samsung HL-S5087W seemed blurred, but others have said its better than sony? Yeah thats what I said. Any comments..

Im sure the Sammy 5087W was setup properly as well haha. You can't get an accurate feel for the set without setting the picture up properly.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
thats cool. Too have your sony 27 incher up on the tottempole of good sets. That means if you had my 40in sony CRT HDTV it would blow your mind. COOL. But the new sxrd's are very close to CRT quality, i'm sorta inclined to sell my beast and buy a 70, maybe a 65 60. But who nows.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cip4465 /forum/post/0

a Sony 27" CRT display is far superior to anything being mentioned in this thread? Why do I say that? Because I own one.

Guys, some of the posts here are just out there. (oh, and in case it is mis-understood, my comment above is a joke).

Sure the Sony has the much discussed Green blob trouble. But I have looked at several (in stores and in a friends home), and I don't see it. Of course I don't know what to look for I guess....but do I want to? If I can't see it....then.....

dumping the SXRD and getting something "decent". Wow, thats a stretch! I would CERTAINLY say every TV mentioned in this thread exceeds the "decent" level!

When it comes to personal opinions, we all have them, and here is mine which means nothing to anyone but me! Comparing equivalent 70+" sets by Mitz, Sony, and Samsung in what is more than likely a bad setup environment (the only thing I have available, I certainly don't have a lab!)....I thought the Samsung had a nicer picture than the Mitz and Sony. But thats based on personal tastes, there are millions that will have different opinions...and thats great!

Now, with that opinion, there is no way I would say the Mitz or Sony were bad. In fact I would say they were WAY beyond "decent". They are awesome, I would never bash any of them!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.