AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I met that rare breed, an honest BB salesman. He knew I was ready to invest in a Sammy 617. He had turned me on to this site. I went back to thank him. I then mentioned that I rarely have time to watch tv. Primary viewing is a dvd every week or so. No plans for cable or satellite, just a good antenna. He commented that the 617 would be overkill. That since I only watch primarily dvd's it may be better to spend half the price now, and bump up in a few years when I may have more HDTV options and DLP prices will surely be lower. Did'nt try to sell me something else, just sent me back here to start over. Good idea I think. So . . .

1. Large viewing room, space no concern.

2. Bright room during day (2 skylights), but most viewing is after dark anyways. Don't get a chance to watch the games on Sunday.

3. I don't think I need to go with an integrated HDTV setup right now. My wife does watch "novelas", but I doubt any of the Spanish broadcasts are in HDTV. I can handle Leno analog.

4. I want 65"+/-.

6. I will most likely do some 1st pers. gaming on it also.

I like what I've read about the Mitz 65413. Is this still overkill if I just want a really good 65" picture for watching dvds, with upgradeability to HDTV in the future?

Thanks for any input.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Gotta say that the Samsung is a strong contender, given your needs. Since you want FPS gaming and your wife watches a lot of 4:3 programming, that's an argument against a CRT (due to burn-in). I guess the question you've got to ask yourself is whether it's better to buy CRT now and risk burn-in in the two or three years until you upgrade or to just buy the best TV for your needs now.

Also: if burn-in is a major issue, you might consider one of the cheaper "burn-in-safe" technologies, such as a Panasonic DLP or an LCoS or LCD-RP set. I'm thinking specifically LCD, since I believe they can be had at about 2/3 the cost of the Samsung DLP (although I don't know about their screen sizes). It seems generally agreed on this forum that LCD's picture isn't as "good" as DLP's (whatever that means) and that LCDs are more prone to bad pixels than DLP, but if you're going to upgrade in a few years anyway...

Personally, my philosophy is to buy the best that I can afford today. There's always something newer, better, and cheaper just around the bend. If you wait for it, you'll never buy.

·
Registered
3,372 Posts
You will always be able to get a TV for $1500-2000 that looks almost as good as one that costs $3000-4000. Is it ever "worth" the extra money? Not really. But sometimes you gotta buy yourself a cool toy.

If you want to go $1500-2000, there are any number of good RPTV's. Get a model that you like from one of the major brands and you'll be set. Just spend a lot of time with it in the store to make sure you like both the picture and the ergonomics.

PS - If you watch much spanish language programing, there is nothing better than Don Francisco in stretch mode on a widescreen TV :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, loraan, your response is greatly appreciated. Burn-in is certainly an issue. Also, given the bright ambient light during the day I think something like the 617 would give a better picture than CRT. I will steer clear of LCD's because even one bad pixel would drive me nuts. Here in El Paso nobody has the 61" on the floor. but I love the 50", and would just like a bigger screen. However, even a 56" JVC CRT at around $1700 is a HUGH jump from where I'm at now. Then, in 3 years I would think $3000 would buy me much more than my $4700 investment would today. Does this line of reasoning make sense?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Salmoneous,

You seem to know where I'm coming from. And it's true as you say, "sometimes you need to buy yourself a cool toy." But I also want to be able to buy some "other" cool toys, i.e., ski boat, new family car (UGH!). So, I'm trying to tone down my desire for the best I can afford.

Thanks so much for your comments.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Yep, you make sense to me. I'm using the same logic - I'm going to buy a WS-65413. Next time around I think the Newer technologies will be more affordable. But right now, I don't think the DLP is worth 2 grand more.

Just use the stretch modes and turn the contrast down to keep from getting "burn in" - I don't think it's that big of a deal. You said you watch movies mainly anyway.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks, shaneotool for your post.

After years of moving around with my wife we are finally settled down (for now?), and it's high time we dump the 27" tube and get something substantial. As you can tell, ANYTHING is a major upgrade, but we have plenty of room for a 65" (or larger), so I don't see why we should not get one. If we watched more tv we would definitely go for the 617. But with only about 5-15 hrs a week of usage I think I'd be throwing my money away when I could use it for better things. I'm leaning towards the WS-65413 also. It's still a chunk of money for such low usage, but I DO want a good/big picture regardless.

·
Registered
638 Posts
I'm going through a similar experience: deciding between a CRT for $2000 less or a DLP for $2000 more. The pros and cons of DLP vs. CRT have been pretty well hashed out here on the forums: size and weight; rainbows?; black level; frequency of adjustment; viewing andlge and edge-to-edge brightness; burn-in; available inputs (VGA?).

I think the question of whether DLP is the right technology for "you" (the generic "you") is pretty cut-and-dried. It's just a matter of deciding whether now is the right time to buy. Will DLP be twice as good and half the price in 2 years? Probably. Definitely on the price, if not necessarily the quality! Can you get a comparable picture for $2k less by going with CRT today? Again, definitely.

The real question, I think, is whether DLP's other advantages are worth that $2k to you today. If you think about it, the situation might not have changed much in two years. DLP is going to be more mature and cheaper, but CRTs will also be cheaper, and they are probably not going to get much better than they already are. So two years from now, the best CRTs might still be about $2k cheaper than the best DLPs, with roughtly comparable picture quality.

·
Registered
47 Posts
If price isn't the controlling issue, I don't think there is a better setup for DVD viewing than a Sammy DLP coupled with a DVI-equipped player (or HTPC). Given your requirements, I don't believe the BB salesman did you a favor at all.

Spad

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks, loraan, good points. So, if you do decide to hold off on DLP, which CRT's have you seriously considered?

No doubt, if we still lived in Alaska a DLP HDTV would be awesome to get us throught the winters and I wouldn't hesitate.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Spad,

from everything I've read a 617 with the 931 player would be an awesome setup for dvd's. And, the profile would be aesthetically superior. And, for daytime viewing in a bright room I don't think there is a comparison. In fact, aside from my own viewing pleasure, vanity of vanities, I want to see guests come into my house and say WOW! That side of me definitely leans towards the 617. I expect to have lots of family over in the future (my wife is one of 15!) so it is fair to say that with a better HDTV in the house there will certainly be more viewing also. I want the best "WOW" for my buck.

"You're so vain . . . "

Now, somebody offer up some more common sense like loraan and shaneotool to lean me on the opposite side of the fence. This is giving me splinters.

Although these threads can often spin one in circles, they do appear helpful for assisting many people's decisions, and I am greatful for the help you guys are giving. I've only been looking for about a week, so I still have plenty of time before I can make an educated decision. By the way, the BB salesman did turn me on to this forum, so I still must express gratitude.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I returned my Samsung HLN617W and DVD931 and went with the Mits 65413 and Denon DVD-1600. No regrets and I saved about $1800. The Sammy dvd had synch problems and the 61" black level/shadow detail didn't cut it for me. Standard cable did look better on the Sammy but for Hi-def and dvd the Mits looks better. I have a very bright living room and neither one looked to good in the day.I replaced a Mits 40'' tube set which is now in the basement so I can always watch standard stuff down there in the daytime.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by AMARyQUERER
Thanks, loraan, good points. So, if you do decide to hold off on DLP, which CRT's have you seriously considered?
Hitachi and Mitsubishi seem to get pretty good press here on the forums, so those were the ones I focused on when I went looking.

·
Registered
206 Posts
The first thing I would do is spend some time with the Sammy. Make sure its long enough to get used to the higher resolution image. Then, make sure you get to see some fast action. BB usually runs the HD loop. At some point there is some HD basketball. When the players go up for shots, see if the image breaks up for you. Then, wait for some facial close-ups. (there should be some kind of documentary or something) See if you notice patchiness on peoples skin. These are the two things that IMO will ruin the immersive effect fro you while watching a movie. If you don't notice these, then I would seriously consider the Samsung. If you do, then I would go with the CRT. One thing not mentioned. Mits has a 65 inch with 9" CRT's coming out. It should be brighter than the other sets in the line-up, and should put out a better image than pretty much every other RPTV out there. However, It will likely not accept 720P (you are probably going to need a Toshiba for that) reducing it's gaming potential.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Blocktrader,

I've read alot here about the new Mits with the 9" guns, I'd have to look at a 65813 for that I believe. Not owning a CRT I am ignorant as to what would be the overall benefits. I assumed beter image quality, but had overlooked the brightness issue. That is an issue for me, so I hope I can view it before I make my decision. Thanks for the advice.

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
AMARy - because of your viewing habits (a DVD every week or so, usually at night) I would forget about rear projection technologies. Keep your current TV. I'd suggest a good front projector that will offer you a HUGE screen, a more cinematic experience, and a real treat for the few occasions you get to watch a DVD movie.:D

I would suggest the X1 for under $1000.

·
Coyote Waits
27,302 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by AMARyQUERER
Then, in 3 years I would think $3000 would buy me much more than my $4700 investment would today. Does this line of reasoning make sense?
Yes.

Trivia:

Watching one movie a week for three years with two weeks "movie" vacation a year would cost you a little over $13 per movie. :rolleyes:

If I buy the HLN567 for $4,500 out the door and watch three movies per week and thirty sporting events a year then it will cost me a little over $8 per movie/event. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

If I spend my entertainment time here fussing about HDTV there won't be any additional cost. :D

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Mitz07 - Thanks for your suggestion. I haven't left front projectors out, I'm checking into them also. This unit will be going in our main living room, very bright during the day, and has a high vaulted ceiling (with skylights that I could install shades for if necessary). Yes, I said I would use it primarily at night, but I don't want to assume my wife's viewing habits in the future, so I do want something that will be bright enough for watching during the day also. that will just not be my own viewing time.

htwaits - Doin' the math. I like that. thanks.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.