AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My main needs are to play lots of video games, i have a ps2, xbox, gamecube and i pre-ordered an xbox 360. usually bigger is better but, i dont want to sacrifice quality either. I will also be watching lots of movies and i will have a HTPC hooked up thru HDMI to DVI cable. I also have Direct TV currently and i am planning on upgrading it to HDTV once i have purchased a TV.

Three TVs i have been looking at my local Costco are

Toshiba 62hm84 with no stand $2,399.99

Toshiba 62hm15(which is a rebadged 62hm94, and it comes with a matching stand) (3k)

56" Samsung DLP with a stand model # HLR 5656C for 2700

Is the quality much better on the Samsung DLP in comparison to the Toshiba?

And is it worth to pay 600 dollars more for the toshiba 94 version and a matching stand?

The main reason i am wanting to purchase from costco is to their satisfaction gurantee, but if i can get a much better.

If you guys need more input i am willing to answer any other questions.

Also does any one have a link to a comparison page of Toshiba models?

·
Registered
216 Posts
If you don't mind ordering over the internet, I'd recommend checking out one of the JVC D-ILA sets. I don't game, but people have reported these are great TVs for gaming. It has any input you may need, including HDMI. The 61" set is about $500 less than your target price, so you'll get a monster screen while saving a little green at the same time. I bought my set from buydig.com.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the Higher end Toshiba and the Samsung that i listed both have HDMI inputs and Integrated tuners that are cable card ready. So both of hte tvs have all the inputs i need. But my main concern is picture quality. I have tried to view both at the same time but with the glare in the stores, its some what hard to judge. Which is why i am here asking for opinions.

As for buying it online, i would prefer to get it locally so if something is wrong i can just return it and not have to worry about shipping costs.

Edit

I just checked out
http://buydig.com/shop/product.aspx?sku=TB62HM94

the Toshiba TV is 2500 bucks plus the matchign stand is 250 plus shipping makes it hte same price that i can pick it up locally, maybe a little bit cheaper but over all the same price.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Sony KDF-E50A10 can be had for low near $2k from authorized dealers. Awesome with gaming.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Kirt 87w
If you use pricegrabber.com and enter the model number 62hm94 you can find the tv for $2100 brand new.

Yeh i have checked that out.. its 2400 bucks shipped... with no stand, which is 300 or so. to make it even its 2700 bucks total.

But if something goes wrong and i dont want it i have to pay for shipping back..

my main question still lies...

Samsung 56" or Toshiba 62" for picture quality?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.