AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok - so far so good with my new,(used), Plus UP1100. (Thanks to Jeff L and Thumper for helping me change the input from RGB to Component) http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

What scaler are most people using with these units? It looks like the Quadscan works well. If so do I need a particular version? I assume an outboard scaler would be a better choice than a progressive DVD player.

Thanks for any help. Reed.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Hey Reed –

Hope you are enjoying the PLUS – so far the picture from this projector has been just plain exciting.

I am also interested in the response to this post. I plan on moving to a HTPC eventually, but that is probably a couple of months off. (have a major need for a sofa upgrade - just have to get those lawn chairs out of the living room now…)

To throw another option out there, I have seen the old iscan on ebay go for around $300 – this is only going to get you to 480p, but the de interlacing has to be better than the internal scaler. So far, I am fairly pleased with the output of the proj with just regular s-video. My only complaint is that there just seems to be a general haze to the image – almost like everything is slightly out of focus. Anyone have any specific comments on what sort of pictures deficiencies the iscan will improve? (Any references to specific demo scenes would be awesome). Or perhaps an iscan/quadscan comparison?

-Jeff

·
Registered
683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Jeff - glad to hear you are enjoying your Plus. I am pretty pleased with the picture from my "Thumperized" Plus. It is not perfect, but given what I paid it is pretty impressive. I have not seen any of the "haze" you are seeing.

I spent a lot of time looking at the Runco VX1-C, since it is one of the few digital projectors to demo in my area, and IMHO the performance from the "Thumperized" Plus is very close.

I am going to try to stay away from a HTPC since my wife will throw a fit if I add a "computer" to the entertainment system. So I will begin the process of researching ISCAN, Quadscan......It never ends.

But for now I am enjoying watching my DVD collection all over again! Reed.

·
Registered
11,213 Posts
I think you would want a scalar that can output native resolution of 1024x768.

I use an HTPC and using the adjustments on the projectors timing menu I was able to get pixel perfect scaling - it varies with refresh rate used though so you need to use different memories. I used DisplayMate as it has various on/off pixel bitmaps that makes it easy to see when the timing of the signals snaps into place.

If you use the default timing combined with the projectors scaling the pixels tend to fuzz together. You will not notice it on video sources until you fix it and realize how much sharper the image is. I have all digital TV (DVD/DBS/DTV) sources so it makes a difference.

Other than the Rock I do not know what scalars have such a internal test pattern.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.