Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3,372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
(Rpeposted from the Screens Forum):

I currently fire a Qualia 004 onto a 123" diagonal ("107 x 60") Draper AT A1200 Screen. The screen is slightly off white, and very sheer, as it performs its acoustical chores pretty welll. If there are electrical components on behind the screen, you can see the flash of the senosrs, indicating how sheer it is. All are therefore ensonced in a flat black cabinet.

My dealer has been after me to get rid of the AT1200, and go to something with more gain, and possible something gray or black. It will still have to be a motorized pulldown, though that doesn't concern me.

So, with this speicific prjocetor in mind, I'm lookinf for recommendations (along with rationales) of what better mousetraps are really out there. I've heard Stewart, I've feard firehawk, I've heard Grayhwk. Now, before I do something on the basis of a random suggestions and a fe names, let's hear from all who can help. I'd like not to sacfrice size, but I'm obviously bisaed to those posters who dove some fiddling with a Qualia 004 and some diffecrent sreens.

Thanks,

Nick :cool:

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
Nick,

Obviously, Stewart's products will work very-well for you. If your walls/ceiling are dark, you have the ability to go white (ST130), if not use either Grayhawk RS or Firehawk. Currently, the Greyhawk will make your colors more saturated than the FH, but at the expense of "punch".

Another manufacturer you could try is Screen Research, if you went with the CP2 material and the black backing (2 roller chasis) I think you would be quite satisfied.

Here's the long and the short of it, I've seen/used the Qualia with pretty much every color screen you can, and the results depend entirely on the environment- if your environment will have more light reflecting around the room: use the grey screens, -if your room has dark walls/ceiling : use a white screen. You don't need more gain, there's plenty of "horsepower" in the Qualia to drive your screen.

Unless there's some special reason to use a black-screen (when the retractables begin to ship), I don't see any benefit to using that in your situation (don't you need acoustically transparent?)

Dan

·
Registered
27,200 Posts
I have a MICROPERF Firehawk in my total light controlled room (and find it fine) but, unfortunately have never seen it with a white screen for a long period of time. A/B testing would be ideal.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.