AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Panasonic PT-AE900U (1100 lumens, 5500:1 contrast) that fits in my dorm very well, however I do not have a screen which fits in this cramped, desk and bunk-ridden, 11'x16' (roughly) room. I was thinking of either mounting the screen on one of the 16' walls across from the two beds OR over the window on the 11' side. We'll see once I get there. There's a small closet in the corner of the room near the door.. which we must take into account. I was going to use blackout drapes over the window, which should be easy. Instead of putting holes in the wall for hanging, I thought maybe I could suspend a pull down screen from the curtain mounts.

I'm looking for one in the price range of $100-$350

I've come up with both:

the DaLite Model B High Contrast

the Optoma DS-GWII9092P

An Elite might be possible, too. I might be able to work a pull UP screen. Keep coming with the suggestions.

THanks

Edit: I also have to note that my current DIY screen with white material for show studios (probably cheap) is not great. The blacks are terrible. That's why I would like to try a gray screen. if it's a nice enough white screen that it'll outshine my old one.. fair enough. Also important to note is that while the light will be controlled, there is most likely always going to be a little bit of light somewhere.

·
Registered
404 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by emerz219 /forum/post/16996043

I have a Panasonic PT-AE900U (1100 lumens, 5500:1 contrast) that fits in my dorm very well, however I do not have a screen which fits in this cramped, desk and bunk-ridden, 11'x16' (roughly) room.

First, no way your curtain rod mounts are going to support a screen. It will work right up until that cute girl leaves her laptop under it, at which point it will drop and your social life will be over. I think you want a portable screen (either tripod or pull-up). There will (hopefully) come a time when you need to clear some space for studying and being able to put your screen in the closet will be a huge asset. Focupix (htdepot) has a pull-up screen in a variety of sizes for under 300.

Second, the AE900 (which I owned for years) is not a super bright projector. If you cannot control light, I'd stick with something small, like 80". It'll still be bigger than anything else in the dorm and won't look washed out.

I used a high gain focupix screen towards the end of my 900s life and thought the extra gain was of more value than the slightly improved blacks (and loss of lumens) of the previous gray material.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What do you mean? I can't just take two strands of picture frame wire and attach that to two hooks on the pull down and then attach to each of the two bases of the mount? I'll check it out on Sunday to see how sturdy is. The problem with the pull up screens is that it takes up ground space. I might be able to make arrangements where the screen could be behind furniture and be pulled up... but then the furniture would have to be around a foot off the wall. IT is something to consider though... cause you can store a pull up.

Thanks for the recommendation. I, too, have noticed it's not very bright. But like I said I am going to get blackout curtains.. I don't know if that will be enough though or not.

I couldn't find the "high gain" version of the pull up projector. I found this 80" though for just over $200.
It's got 1.6 natural gain smooth surface. Wait, is that high gain? Is that just the right amount of gain for this application?

Why would the gain be more impressive than better blacks?

Thanks!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think that the Focupix BriteG 16:9 Electric Projector Screen w/ Dual Remote - 84" is the best bet for me. It's a compromise between better blacks as well as brightness. What do you think?

I also think that the Focupix Grey1.8 16:9 Electric Projector Screen w/ Dual Remote - 84" could be good. 1.8 gain. $209

This is of course given I could hang a pull down or figure out how to safely mount it on the wall. It may even be possible to mount it underneath my loft bed, hanging from the cross supports.

·
Registered
1,696 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by emerz219 /forum/post/16998018

I think that the Focupix BriteG 16:9 Electric Projector Screen w/ Dual Remote - 84" is the best bet for me. It's a compromise between better blacks as well as brightness. What do you think?

I also think that the Focupix Grey1.8 16:9 Electric Projector Screen w/ Dual Remote - 84" could be good. 1.8 gain.

Absolutely not! At 80-84" you don't need any gain for a bright image with the AE900U. The Focupix 1.8 gain screens are glass beaded. That means they are retroreflective. That means they will have a narrow viewing cone and will require a projector mount that is down low near viewer eye level for best results. In addition, glass beaded screens cannot be cleaned. Bottom line is that you will be very unhappy with these screens in a tiny dorm room. Stick with matte white with no more than 1.3 gain. It will be plenty bright, have a wide viewing angle, allow flexibility in projector position, and be cleanable. IMHO.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts