AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
378 Posts
I'm building a white 110" 2.35:1 screen out of 1.2 gain wilsonart laminate. The stuff is super durable and you can spray and clean it with anything. The frame is complete and I'm about to mount some blue rope lighting to back light it. I'll be using 3" black gaffers tape to make the border. The cleat I'm using to mount it to the wall even has a level in it! Total cost is right at ~$120, though I know that most people who can afford this projector can afford a ~$1K screen too.

·
Registered
9,769 Posts
I'd recommend something 1.5 gain or greater for that size

·
Registered
9,769 Posts
Despite what manufacturers claim I wouldn't expect over 1.2 gain from a material without an optical coating

All screen manufacturers will make any Aspect Ratio you want

·
Registered
1,794 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tryg /forum/post/0

Despite what manufacturers claim I wouldn't expect over 1.2 gain from a material without an optical coating

All screen manufacturers will make any Aspect Ratio you want

Tryg, you da man on screens! Just for giggles you ought to test the Wilsonart Designer White laminate material for comparison. It's downright inexpensive and the results may surprise you.

·
Registered
9,769 Posts
There's 54963 materials out there that can be used as screens. I dont have time to test them all

I stick to materials that are above and beyond standard matte white materials

·
Registered
4,718 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by millerwill /forum/post/0

This is also what I'm planning for. What will be your primary viewing distance?

Primary viewing distance for me, is my second row, at about 18 feet.

·
Registered
17,229 Posts
IF it were me with a 135" screen, I would definately go HP.

For small screens, I think the ST130 would be perfect (or something similar like the Carada BW) assuming good light control. They keep demoing this projector on a ST130, and when I saw this combo I was convinced this was the screen for me. However, I have a much smaller screen at 94" diag.

Obviously there are a lot of individual factors that will determine what is the best screen in a particular room, but with 135", I would figure a way out to use a HP.

·
Registered
4,718 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by millerwill /forum/post/0

Wow, that's a long way away, ~ 1.9 screen widths.

Well.. if you don't like it, you are always welcome to sit in the front row.

·
Registered
4,718 Posts
Its about 11-12 feet. My personal preference for sitting in the back row is partially due to a lack of peripheral vision.

·
Registered
12,092 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Free /forum/post/0

Its about 11-12 feet. My personal preference for sitting in the back row is partially due to a lack of peripheral vision.

OK, thanks much. That's a lot closer to the 12-13 ft I'm planning for. [I'm going to try out this size on a sheet for a week or so, though, to see if I really do like it this large. Might drop back a bit if 133" seems too much for this distance.]

·
Premium Member
170 Posts
Studiotek?? Ultramatte?? Something else??

Planning ceiling mount of RS1 14.5 feet from screen, 9' ceiling. First row 13' from screen, 2nd 19'. each row with 4 Berkline 090's. I would like a 9' wide screen if RS1/screen combo can handle it but will drop to 8' wide if needed.

Thoughts? Do we just need to be patient and wait for Jason, Tryg and others to actually test this projector with these screens or like screens before pulling the trigger? I hate waiting!!

krfuquamd

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.