AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my HT is finally built and I just mounted my AX100U .. now i need to get a screen. I'd like to get a motorized screen around 100 - 110". My HT is fairly small (21' x 10.5' x 6'7") so viewing angle is not a concern. The light is also completely controlled - there are no windows at all. I will occasionally watch with some lights on but they will most likely be towards the back of the theater where the seats are.

I need to keep the cost down a bit so thusfar, I'm looking at the Elite Cinetension. I am not sure whether to go grey or white. I do like deep blacks (which is what keeps me buying plasma tv's instead of lcd) and I did read a review saying that this pj pairs very well to grey screens. Anyone have experience with this?

I also am leaning towards cinetension due to the flatness of the screen, but if I could go w/ a non-tensioned screen for less money, i'd do that - how is people's experience here for non-tensioned screens.

Finally if white and non-tensioned is ok, I am also considering a screen from monoprice since it's so dirt cheap.

chime in, everyone!

·
Banned
1,899 Posts
My opion is a screen is half the picture being good.I would get a Carada screen.You only need to buy a good screen once.I would to what tommy said.Buy the silverscreen paint' use black trim to make a frame and save for a real screen.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
fixed or painted surface isn't an option here due to placement constraints - it needs ot be ceiling-mounted and most likely motorized. I'd like to focus most on the actual screen material if possible.

·
Banned
157 Posts
ive owned two da-lite manual screens i had a minor wave in the first screen towards the lower right corner more in the boarder than anywhere (used it for about 6 years). then i went to a larger 16:9 screen and have a couple waves in the center. it bugs me but it is more visable on some scenes than others. there is no doubt that i will by a tensioned screen next time.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
OK so i'm convinced to get a tensioned electrical .. now waht about grey vs white? for an ax100u .. the pj is pretty bright and my room is totally controlled.. are there any disadvantages to a grey screen aside from lowered light output and possibly decreased viewing angle - neither of these should be issues. I would prefer a better black level than higher light output. Also, how does the elite grey compare to others?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.