AVS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to choose among 3 Stewart Filmscreen choices for a new VPH-HW15 projector. My screen size will be 92", 16x9 format, electriscreen, up in size from the 70" Stewart Studiotek 130 fixed screen that I have now (used with a DWIN CRT).

I'm considering the Firehawk G3 SST, the regular Firehawk G3, or another Studiotek 130. I'll have total light control only at night, and in the daytime, some decent partial control. My room has a dark wood ceiling and a mixture of dark and light areas on the walls.

I've read everything on this forums about these choices, but still can't get a clear consensus. I know the SST is for Sony's but is that the right choice for this particular Sony model?

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
Unless you plan to do a lot of daytime watching, I would recommend you stick with the ST 130. While either of the FHs will perform somewhat better than the ST 130 in moderate ambient light, there is a price to pay. Both FHs will exhibit more visible screen texture and faster light drop-off at the sides than the ST 130. The FHs--especially the G3--will hot spot noticeably at short throw; the ST 130 will not. Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. My setup, for now, will be relatively short throw, so good to know this.

·
Registered
6,340 Posts
Um.. you have the 70" ST130 on the wall now or did you sell it? If you still have it, why would you not try it with the new projector. IF you like that picture with that then you know what to buy!

Personally I am a fan of the Da-lite High Power..

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oh I'm for sure going to try it, but won't be able top A/B it with a Firehawk. However, Stewart is local for me, and today they offered to send swatches of the Firehawks for comparison. (I won't sell the 70" until the new one arrives.)

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, I tried my 70" Studiotek 130 and it seems perfect. Maybe the whites are a little hot from time to time, but in general I'm blown away by the picture. I'll reevaluate after a few weeks have passed and my amazement over this projector calms down a little. I'll get a swatch of G3 SST from Stewart to compare.

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
The 92" ST will be only 58% as bright as your 70" ST, for any given projector brightness. If you want a preview, just zoom the picture to a 92" diagonal with your current 70" screen.

·
Registered
6,340 Posts
NOTE:The bulb will loss a fair amount of lumen after a few hundred hours of use. After which you should have the projector ISF calibrated (or do it your self if you have the tools.. and if you do have the tools I don't need to tell you this )

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
As I posted earlier, I've been using my new Sony HW15 projector with my 70" Stewart Studiotek 130 screen. Stewart sent me samples of their Firehawk SST screen material, and I mounted these 2 swatches on the screen for comparison. Blacks are definitely darker by a good degree, but the whites are not quite as popping (as expected).

Is this a good thing overall? With the Studiotek 130, I do feel that the image is oftentimes a tad too bright, so maybe the Firehawk SST is just the ticket. But is this whole exercise the same thing as turning the brightness settings down right in the projector. I stymied with this. Tough choice...

I guess my observation is that the percentage of the amount that the blacks are darker is greater than the amount the whites are duller, so overall it's an improvement.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
As FLBoy pointed, I do notice more screen grain with the Firehawk SST. Not sure I like that...

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
I have my HW15 bulb on LOW mode for a 92" Stewart 130 n it is picture perfect !!!

·
Registered
18 Posts
would anyone use the elite screens - aeon with cinegrey material? im on budget so im not going with a stewart or a SI screen. thoughts?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts